Fly Fusion Forums

Fly Box Rant

The same knot heads that designed the Blackberry/cell phones/ Ipods.

How in god's Green Earth does some of these knot heads think that we have fingers 1/8" round. I picked up 2 fly boxes that are pictured on the Fly Tying section. Yes, they hold flies - lots of flies but if the stupid designers would realize that you have to design considering that our fingers, you'd make the number of slots about 30% fewer. Then we could get to them w/o using tweezers.

Looked over the fly boxes @ the Expo - yup - every outfit employees the same knot heads.

End of rant!!!

See what February does to me!!!

Don

headscan,

Thought about that but then you loose 50% of the capacity. Wouldn't it be a lot simpler to just build the things right the first time.

Talked to the Sci-Ang rep about issue - he told me that the boxes were designed by a Texan. Go figure!! Here I thought they were designed by the "little people".

Mind you, heard a rumor that Gates is now looking for breeding stock with little tiny fingers. That way, the crap that is built will be useful to someone.

Looked around and found some little people.

post-206-1233139387.jpg

post-206-1233139403.jpg

post-206-1233139417.jpg

Don

The same knot heads that designed the Blackberry/cell phones/ Ipods.

How in god's Green Earth does some of these knot heads think that we have fingers 1/8" round.

They have keyboards designed for regular hands. They are called keyboards. I am typing on one now. It would be hard to fit in in a holster on my belt however, and a bigger PITA to hold up to my ear. Maybe we could go back to the days of the suitcase phone?

By the way, I wish I was the knot head that designed the blackberry!

As to fly boxes, seems they are trying to hit an unreachable design criteria, or at least conflicting ones. Same with phone keyboards I guess. Make them too big, and people complain they are big and klunky. Too small, and the designers are knot heads. (is it knot head or knothead?)

Shack nasties affect us all.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

hahahaha, all you old guys have sausage fingers!!!!!!

you have evolved with thumbs you are technically more advanced then the inanimate object you are fighting with......

I figure life is pretty good when the only thing you have to complain about is that the dozens of flies in your box are hard to get out.

No offense Don but maybe it's like the Aspirin bottle with the giant cap or the phone with the huge numbers for the "experienced folks" out there. Need to outfit you with the pizza box sized fly box, has room for 10 #6 hooks.....real easy to see and grab. Fits nicely into the basket of a walker ;).

Sorry couldn't resist, now I'm going to get Alzheimers and arthritis before the ripe ol' age of 40.

See what a rant gets ya'.

Rick points out that we are still using keyboards. Well. they were invented in about 1830 to interface with computers today. When things work and fit humans , why change. Rick points out that the manufacturer's are trying to hit a design criteria. I'm not sure about this as several of the companies have a number of designs - none of them designed for slim flies having slightly wider slot. Looks like the design criteria was how much could be jammed in a given space.

KnottyGirl points out that she has no trouble and is now added to my "interview for a caregiver list".

thefisherking says that he picked up a magnetic box @ the show. What he seems unaware off is that magnetism is the basis for all fish directional finding. Magnetic boxes magnetise flies and cause them to be rejected by fish all over the world.

And lastly Dube points out life is good and he's right - We still have a functioning Govt w/o an election. My retirement investments are on about par with last years value. Wife's not pregnant and now has another job.

And it's only about 2 days till I go fishing again.

Now if I could just figure out why the apex of the butt strips won't run turn - life would be real good.

catch ya'

Don

I think I should have a say on this topic.. seeing as I can say with a good amount of confidence that I probably have the biggest hands of anybody on here..

I agree.. I struggle with it alot and because of that, like Jayhad, I use my hemostats to get them in and out. Which is of course.. a band-aid fix.

Also, I love my new Blackberry Bold 9000! ;) Bigger keyboard for bigger fingers..