Fly Fusion Forums

Your Biggest Owie

Wow....I had no idea what this thread would bring. I'm amazed some of you guys are alive to tell these stories, to be completely honest. There is not one thing I could think of adding that would be worse than any of those. I'm humbled....and grateful for all the things that have never happened to me!

Well I have had some ****ed up *hit happen when playin Ball (Football) One that hurt quite a bit and still bother me to this day was when I took a facemask in the bicep and dislocated my shoulder (Did I forget to metion I dislocated my shoulder when it did a complete wrasp around) My should was so far out of place that the ambulance driver was commenting how my arm looked like a piece of rubber.

The next year I dislocated it again at the end of the season (needless to say this was my last year I played) but when I was in the ambulance they were like we should pop this in now so no muscles slide into the rotater cuff and get caught in there. So they wrapped a wet towel around my dislocated should and one paramedic took one arm the other took the other arm and they braced themselves and slowly pulled me like a turkey wishbone till the shoulder went popin back in place.

I also took another facemask in the ribs (was blitz through the line and got blind sided by a pulling guard) broke 5 ribs.

Riding a dirt bike a whipped out and took the footpegs across my leg, tore the jeans open and left me with a 1 inch by 1 inch gash across my leg. Should of gone to the hospitial for some stiches but did not :0(

Not as sick as some of the other one, was out fishin one day with max and I set the hook on a pig bow when all max heard was a loud popin noise and me swearing afterwards, I was like, *hit my shoulders out, the whole arm is basically useless and I am trying to grip onto my rod, long story short, I switched hands pop the shoulder in and landed the bow.

7 (seven) kindey stones, passed 5, one at side of the road going fishing. 2 were surgery. Walked around with one for 6 months. Gashed left calf open ankle to knee taking a tire off a rim. 47 stitches. Cut a finger off and the first aid guy accidently ran it under HOT water, it's back on, just a bit crooked, hurts like a bugger in the cold. Oh yah being a millwright for 30 years..........that really hurts! Pass the tylenol and advil.

Well I have had some ****ed up *hit happen when playin Ball (Football) One that hurt quite a bit and still bother me to this day was when I took a facemask in the bicep and dislocated my shoulder (Did I forget to metion I dislocated my shoulder when it did a complete wrasp around) My should was so far out of place that the ambulance driver was commenting how my arm looked like a piece of rubber.

The next year I dislocated it again at the end of the season (needless to say this was my last year I played) but when I was in the ambulance they were like we should pop this in now so no muscles slide into the rotater cuff and get caught in there. So they wrapped a wet towel around my dislocated should and one paramedic took one arm the other took the other arm and they braced themselves and slowly pulled me like a turkey wishbone till the shoulder went popin back in place.

I also took another facemask in the ribs (was blitz through the line and got blind sided by a pulling guard) broke 5 ribs.

Riding a dirt bike a whipped out and took the footpegs across my leg, tore the jeans open and left me with a 1 inch by 1 inch gash across my leg. Should of gone to the hospitial for some stiches but did not :0(

Not as sick as some of the other one, was out fishin one day with max and I set the hook on a pig bow when all max heard was a loud popin noise and me swearing afterwards, I was like, *hit my shoulders out, the whole arm is basically useless and I am trying to grip onto my rod, long story short, I switched hands pop the shoulder in and landed the bow.

Now that's dedication! Atta boy bhurt!

Guest Sundancefisher

Short term pain...

Really a toss up for me between separating my shoulder in a fall on the Elbow River or having my appendix go on me.

Both very, very painful.

Long term pain...

I was a passenger in a 110 km highway roll over. My back was really badly bruised and sprained. I woke up some nights in real, real agony.

Emotional pain...

Losing mother, father, father-in-law, niece getting bad cancer at age 2.

Sincerely

Sun

kitty litter darren?!? seriously is that really a problem?

put my right leg through one of those glass doors at highschool with the wire mesh in them. that wasnt the painful part. i was in semi-shock trying not to bleed out all over the floor at the time.

the painful part was in the ER at the hospital when the old goat of a doctor unwraped my leg, opened my calf like a book and started poking it with his finger.

he then had the nerve to ask if it hurt. no *hit sherlock, i have just filetted my leg to the bone and you are poking it. pretty good guess that it hurts.

of course i could not remember if had had breakfast that morning so i wasnt able to have any pain killers until surgery time.

120 or so stitches and staples later. then they gave me demerol. i was happy after that

Went teeth first into a fireplace hearth - basically all my teeth gone, had to have lower lip reattached (being a kid/having no fear)

Drove my femur through the top of my tibia - twenty some pieces (skiing/booze)

Multiple broken fingers, hands, toes, feet (hockey)

Lynn, had a buddy get hit with the gal bladder thing this past summer. It wasn't pretty.

It is actually :) But now the wife is pregnant and that trumps a transplant, so I'm stuck shoveling cat turds.

Toxoplasmosis right? I had no idea guys with transplanted livers could get it <--poke--<

Soooooooooo.....Darren's gonna be a daddy too huh? How did we not know this? Are you and Dave the Presidents of some new club or board now - something like FFC WHB - forget fishing cuz we have babies?

Toxoplasmosis right? I had no idea guys with transplanted livers could get it

Soooooooooo.....Darren's gonna be a daddy too huh? How did we not know this? Are you and Dave the Presidents of some new club or board now - something like FFC WHB - forget fishing cuz we have babies?

I think anyone can get it actually. :)

Ya, I think we're even expecting at the same time. There will soon be a private spot on the forums open only to those who recently lost the will to fish because of babies. :) Keep your eyes open for an announcement coming soon.

Had my liver ripped out 6 years ago. It's cool though, cause they gave me a new one. Here is the cut that they made to get it swapped out. What doesn't kill ya.....

Wow, a photo is worth a thousand words... I heard that tylenol is one of the biggest causes of liver failure... OD on tylenol is super toxic to your liver folks, so don't down a whole bottle when you have a headache.

My injuries are pretty minor compared to all of yours, but I do have a funny one to lighten things up.

Once while unloading my camper at SIDs, it was about -20 and in the snow, so when I got the stupid thing jacked up, my truck no longer had traction to get out... So being the clever guy that i am, I started to get stuff out of the bushes to put under the tires. I saw this awsome flat rock that was gauranteed to work, so I bent over to grab it, got a sharp stick in the eye, and ripped the ass of my pants all in one graceful move. Ended up having to dig my self out with one eye bleeding and a ripped ass. Then had to drive my self to foothills to get my eye fixed up. I let my wife drive me home from there cause they gave me some shot of something that made it hard to even walk.

Not bad given that I still have 2 beautiful peepers, but sure did hurt my eye and my ego.

Here's Lynn and how she broke her arm and such.

SJW - you are beyond original! Where do you find these youtube clips? It's beyond my imagination how you find them...you know, I'm just tearin around these interwibbles...no time to find such beyond original content.

Ohhh...back on topic.

Worst thing that every happened to me was back in the 70s...there was the belief that to cut was to heal. I kept on getting ear/sinus infections so it was recommended by an otolaryngologist that I have surgery to widen my sinus cavities. They literally peeled my nose off my face. A few weeks after the operation, my mom was walking me to kindergarten when she slipped on some ice and somehow fell on top of me...more particularly...on top of my nose.

Whenever I'm peeved with my mom...I love pulling out the "you're the reason why my nose has a bump on it".

Don't know if this is my biggest owie, but its a good story....

When I was stationed on a submarine in Hawaii, we used to play "Jungle Rules" volleyball almost every day when in port. It is like regular volleyball, except without any net rules whatsoever and liberal interpretation of carrying the ball. Like most things in life, size was very important. And if someone on your team was pissing you off, a good way to get even was to set him close to the net and watch him get stuffed. Anyway, one day we were playing at a boat picnic. Directly opposite of me on the front line was my friend Todd. Todd had played Tight End for University of Georgia in his younger days (he was probably 25 at the time of the incident), and even though he was packing a few (like 50) more lbs than he should, he was still a force to be reckoned with. During the game, I get a nice set and I think it is far enough off the net to get really aggressive. Run, jump, take full advantage of the liberal carry rule and proceed to slam dunk on my friend Todd. At least that was the plan. The big man was quicker and in better position than I thought. As I am coming down with the ball, his arm is coming up for the block and then he basically throws me backwards. My shoulder had other ideas, and unfortunately did not go back as fast as the rest of me.

As I'm laying on the ground in agony and horrified by the bump in front of my shoulder our corpsman says to me "you want to me pop it back in now or wait until we get you to the clinic?" I opted for popping it in right away. I only thought it was hurting, as the "popping back in" event still lives in my mind as a moment of exquisite pain, with unbelievable relief after the shoulder returns to its rightful home. The worst outcome of this event was that the command structure of the sub shut down "jungle rules" volleyball after this event.

Flash forward a couple of years. I am on my dad's shrimp boat with my younger brother who is probably 18 at the time. I am backing the boat from the pier and spin the big steering wheel (the kind with spokes and all, true captains wheel) and as I clear the pier, pop, out goes my shoulder again (probably the 3rd of 4th time it had been out since the incident above). The pain is pretty intense and I yell in agony. My brother looks at me in horror and says "what do you want me to do?" As the boat is backing straight toward a range tower, I croak "I want you to drive the F(&(*ing boat!!" He steers us clear of danger and watches, still in horror, as I rotate my shoulder back in place. Ouch again. But I did stay out on the water and as I recall made a bit of money. I also didn't have to do much work, just drive left handed!