Fly Fusion Forums

Assembling A Fly Rod

jnovlan

I am contemplating building a 4wt. rod (never tackled this before) and am looking for suggestions/advice regarding such items as: manufacturer, supplier, 2pce.vs 4 pce, price to expect for a mid-range model, and any other tips, pitfalls,etc. to consider before taking the plunge.

And -- Oh yes-- is this a task that a novice can take on without much guidance? I am not the 'handiest' person around.

Thanks in advance for ALL suggestions.

JerryN

Don't forget to stop in and talk to Andy Sneddon (sp) at

Spruce Meadows. He has a booth at the show this month and would

be able to answer your questions. Don't know if it is

appropriate to post name of his company but check

the Western Canadian Flyfishing site and you should be

able to figure it out.

For a web site on construction - see http://www.rodbuildingforum.com/

It's not all that tough. I assembled my first rod in 1968 using instructions printed on one side of a 8 1/2 *11" page.

catch ya'

Don

So did you ever build another one after that one Don? :) He He, one of these days I godda save up enough for one of your wonderful magic sticks.

http://www.flyfisherman.com/rodbuilding/

Free advise(worth every penny):

Keep your first project simple(so you can learn the basics first)

Keep it inexpensive(You won't know whether you actually LIKE doing it, right?)

Build it for someone else(You WILL make little mistakes, nobody but you will know, but they will nag at you)

Be methodical( follow a pre-thought out, logical, step by step, once things are epoxied, you can't go back)

Take your time(see "methodical")

Reserve a spot where it will be undisturbed over hours of drying time

Hope that helps

j

I am contemplating building a 4wt. rod (never tackled this before) and am looking for suggestions/advice regarding such items as: manufacturer, supplier, 2pce.vs 4 pce, price to expect for a mid-range model, and any other tips, pitfalls,etc. to consider before taking the plunge.

And -- Oh yes-- is this a task that a novice can take on without much guidance? I am not the 'handiest' person around.

Thanks in advance for ALL suggestions.

JerryN

I suggest going to fishtales because they will make sure you have the right reel seat, cork, guides, etc. You can get that stuff on line but having someone to talk to about it goes a long way. If its your first rod and you don't care about the size of it when its broken down, a 2 piece would be easier because you don't have as many furle wraps and guide spacing would be a bit more straigh forward. Expect to pay at least $200-250. Add on the stuff you need to put it together (jig, maybe a cork honer, expoxy and a book on how to do it) and you're getting closer to $300. However, depending on the blank you decide on, the rod could be worth 500-700. I've only built DanCraft as I think you get the best bang for your buck with those blanks.

Since you are building you own rod, you pick the components (and decide where to spend your $). Some are cosmetic and some are functional. Reel seat is mostly cosmetic. It holds the reel. Good cork will last longer, but its still somewhat cosmetic. I think guides are probably the most important thing you can upgrade from a functional point of view. I recommend Recoil single footed guides. They cost more but you can bend them in a circle and they will "recoil" back to shape. Single foot equals less weight and resistance as they are only afixed on one side. Think of it this way. If a diver jumps off a diving board, it will spring him up ten feet. Tie a 50lb sack to the bottom of that board and he won't be able to get 10 ft, plus the board will continue bouncing long after he's in the water. You want your rod to recover quickly/stop bouncing. So, the lighter the quides (and the less expoxy on it), the better the recovery.

And yes. A novice a build can decent rod. Just measure twice and glue once.

Check out the forum Don linked to. Tons of info and pinned how to threads. Also, there are a ton of decent rod blanks out there you could build on for cheaper than 200. Dancraft often has clearance deals, and his kits seem like a good value. Gatti G4 is a popular blank and the 2 piece is less than 100. Google Gatti USA.

Keep it simple And practice with your epoxy before you put it on your wraps. Less is more.

there are a ton of decent rod blanks out there you could build on for cheaper than 200.

Thats what I thought but for some reason, only $40 more here and only $20 more there and it always ended up going way over. :( But you're right. If you just want to build a rod and don't care if its the best it could be, you can get really cheap (but good) blanks. Thats where most of the cost is.

Mind you another reason to put together a rod is to get the components on it that you want. Like a custom reel seat or handle in exotic wood and better guides and the like. That's why I've assembled a few for myself (assembled as opposed to built, I just assemble, Don actually builds em).

To all who responded with suggestions and other resources--- Thank You! I have some homework to do.This has been my first post and I appreciate the interest and help. Putting a rod together just might fill in some of the winter evenings!

Jerry

• 1 month later...