Fly Fusion Forums

Wanna Start Tying

JoshEpp

Hello All,

I cant take it any longer, would like to start tying my own flies. Do any of the local shops carry starter kits for tnew tiers or do you just buy all the equipment and materials seperately?

Any guidance would be grealty appreciated.

Thanks

I would not recommend buying one of those so called kits.....I find the materials inferior and useless. First try and decide what flies you would like to try and tie first; once you have decided that go to one or more of the shops...many are sponsors here and get them to help you by making suggestions pertaining to your choice of fly/flies you want to try to tie first . They will suggest what tools you need for getting started.

A vice, bobbin, scissors,bodkin and whip finisher are what I would say are a bare essential minimum for tools. Over tine you'll accumulate more "toys".

If you buy , buy the best quality you can afford....the adage you get what you pay for holds true in this area as it does with everything else.

I Agree with flytyer, Last year my wife for xmas got me a kit, and I have since replaced nearly everything that came with it, the materials were crap and the vise was useless for any thing under a 10 hook

pick 3 flies easy flies woolybugger, pheasant tail nymph, Hares ear for instance were my first 3. Get what you need for those and build your kit as you see need to 9 trust me you will be swimming in tools and materials in no time

some suggestions

a Danvise is a good option for beginning holds a wide variety of hook sizes is full rotary (i rarly use this feature but as my tying improves I may and then I dont have to buy a new vise) and won't break the bank ($70 dollars on ebay)

also DR.slick has a tool set I picked up that I really like. has scissors, whip finisher, hackle pliers, bobbin, bobbin threader, hair stacker, and bodkin.

One "kit" that's useful is the one Fish Tales sells for their intro to tying course. Has some of the materials you need to get you started and they're good quality and useful for flies that are commonly used around here. You'll still have to buy a vise and tools in addition to that, though.

im with the others. buy a decent vice and tools and get some materials for 2 or 3 flies i know you use and start there.. some of teh simpler or "basic" flies would be hares ear, wooly bugger, clouser minnow, pheasent tail.... i think elk hair caddis are great for a first dryfly it gets u use too messing with deer hair, hackling a body etc. then step up too copper johns prince nymphs kauffman stones stimulartors etc.... pick up a book or two too... when you buy hooks i would recommend staying away from mustad.. they are the cheapest but daichii or dai riki are worth the extra cash.. same with hackle for dryflies.. buy a good "grizzley" hackle it might seem like a waste of money but a real nice half cape will get you 50 time more usable feathers than the cheapest one. dotn worry abotu colored hackle unless u feel you need it.. the fish dotn care in all dries i only use grizzley... take your time get use too teh pattern then worry abotu speed after.. your first few if not few dozen will look "brutal" mine sure as hell were but in time u will get your head around things and be dreaming up new things all teh time!

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

you get what you pay for, i try to never buy the cheapest product. Nothing is worse than shitty hackle, you make 5 or 6 turns then "plink" it snaps and unwinds.

The one thing that is not neccesarrily a must but has for sure made my flies neater is a good vice. I started with a $40 vise and resetting your hook constantly after the jaws wear out is quite the pain. My first three flies were the good ol' SJW, clouser, and hares ear. be fore warned my friend, this makes a guy wanna fish and spend money on new hooks, foam, dubbing, flash, beads alll the time

true, I hear the hook and hackle has some fair to middlin tiers in it <--poke--<

actually I joined last year but I just never got the time (seems everyone meets on wednesday) to go to a meeting more so donated my money to them but sure wished I found the time.

or stop by troutfitters for the free seminar on staurday and ask questions of some of the people there. I'll be there fur sure.

Thanks for all the feedback !

I got a fly tying book for xmas- not too sure of the name I think its called the Fly Tying Bible for Trout and Salmon?? Seems like it could be quit usefull for starting out. It has step by step instructions for lots of flies from simple to difficult/complex patterns.

Just been leafing through it and there are what appear to be easy patterns to tie ie Hares Ear, Pheasant tail, wooly bugger, elk hair caddis etc...

I think what I'll do from what you guys suggested is get all the tools and materials required for a couple easy nymph patterns and go from there.

As far as tools go how much money is a guy looking at to get set up? Obviously I'm not looking for top of the line but would like a decent set up that I can learn on.

I would also recommend taking a course. I took the troutfitters beginner course, and it's definitely tailored to the absolute beginner. I had been tying for a while and I knew a lot of the stuff but it helped me refine my technique, and if nothing else it forces you to find the time to crank out flies.

I also found that You Tube has a lot of helpful videos to get you going. I'm not in an area where I can get to a lot of courses so took to the puter and found a lot of helpful info. Especially when whip finishing to tie off the end of the thread.

I bought a boat load of stuff on ebay and it has been ok.....you never quite know what you are getting. The quality of the vice is a little iffy but at this point I'm just beginning so don't really know the difference. I figure it'll give me a chance to get going and then will find my preferences for a higher end vice down the road.

I have to echo the comment that it is addictive and a lot of fun....also there is a very specifac mixture of tying vs. booze to keep the end result fishable! Have fun!

When i first started tying i used a pair of vise grips to hold the hook and then put them into a vise .Works well for med to large size hooks .I started with some cobra to make san j worms and black marabou for buggers .I kept breaking the thread when i started so start with strong thread .

I know los of guys have already said it, but I started with the beginners couse at Country Pleasures. It helped in several different ways. First of all, there are lots of ways to do most of the tying procedeurs. The instructor showed us a couple of ways that seemed to simplify it for me. You dont have to fumble around and get frustrated trying new tecniques when there is an easier method.

There are also a few other online resources that may be helpfull. Try www.troutflies.com. If you go to the tutorials section, they have lots of different patterns complete with step by step accompanied with pictures. I think there is a video of the whip finish as well.

I'll tell you Hack, there is nothing quite like catching your first fish on a fly that you tied yourself.

Murray