Fly Fusion Forums

Fly Fishing Expo In Calgary

Was wondering what your thoughts were about the fly fishing expo held in Calgary. Never been and was considering making a trip down from Edmonton to check it out. Any good deals to be had? Did you find the show informative, or is it just a bunch of lodges promoting themselves. Cheers Pheasantnut

there is usually some deals but it is a expo were most retailers will be promoting new products. lots of the clinics and workshops are great! tehre is tons of info and great insturctors teaching them. there are lodges, flyshops and outfitters tehre aswell.

The Boat and Sportsmens show is where all the lodges are advertising; fortunately this show is focused on fly fishing with tons of presenters and would be well worth the trip if you're looking to try out the latest stuff. Most shops have some older stuff they're just trying to get rid of if you want a deal. The only thing it doesn't have is a practice pool for spey casting. :devil:

The booths can be seen in about an hour. The reason to go to the the show is because of the free clinics given evry hr. there is instruction from some really great fishermen. If you go to the show with getting an education in mind you can spend the whole day there and leave with twice the knowladge you came with and tonnes of ways to catch more fish and improve your skills. I personaly think it's one of the best things any new fisherman can attend. There are some paid clinics and they are worth every penny. Don't forget to bring a note book.

I've been every year it has been here. I wont miss it. Where else can you get a personal demo on tying flies from the likes of Jack Dennis, Bob Clouser and Jim Teeny. If you want a hands on instruction and coaching sit in on some of the 2 hour clinics. There are three that I intend to take in this time around. The casting pool is a great place to try your hand at virtually any rod being sold, this is a pretty broad statement and may be exagerated a little but there sure are a lot of choices. I have gotten a couple of deals every year, from complete rod, reel and line outfits to tying equipment. I mark this one on my calender every year. Oh, and you'll probably meet up with a bunch of people from the board as well.

Murray

Yes, we'll have a booth there again this year, so at the very least, come by and shoot the *hit with us for a few. We'll have another draw this year for a big box of flies as well.

Awesome. Wonder what kind of framed fly Dave is gonna tie for me to take home this year!

Well thanks guys and gals for the feed back. Think I'll try and make it down... sounds like a good time. As an aside, can anybody point out where I can find out about the hourly seminars being offered at this years show. I can't seem to find them on the web site other than the two hour sessions you pay for. Cheers Pheasantnut

Well thanks guys and gals for the feed back. Think I'll try and make it down... sounds like a good time. As an aside, can anybody point out where I can find out about the hourly seminars being offered at this years show. I can't seem to find them on the web site other than the two hour sessions you pay for. Cheers Pheasantnut

Go to Presentations & Workshops on http://www.flyfishingevents.com/. Click on schedule and then at the top of the left column highlight presentations instead of workshops.

I liked it when the whole schedule was added as an insert into Fly Fusion Magazine and you could look at the day and time and see each event that was happening like a workshop or tying presentation or casting pond etc. This format would be good on the Fly Fishing Events website and then it would be just a matter of printing it off. I like to map out my weekend ahead of time and this would make it much easier.

I think you can find the seminar listings in Broken Tippet magazine. You should be able to find it at fly shops that sell Fly Fusion.

I got an email from Fly Fusion with all the seminars outlined - let me know if you didn't get the info you were after and I'll foward the email.

I'd like to go listen to Brian Chan talk - he's a fascinating and uber smart guy.