Fly Fusion Forums

So After Some Research Can I Can Get A Vote? :)

Olympus vs Pentax  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Should Smitty get the Pentax OptioW60 or the OlympusSW series?

• PentaxW60
    • OlympusSW series

Hi guys:

Family gave me some money for my B-day. Was thinking of upgrading my camera, and based on the research I have done including this forum, I am having a tough time choosing. I have a W10, but I was thinking of trying the Olympus (shockproof feature). Plus, which one shoots better video, IYHO's???

Thanks for voting.

If you have other models, go ahead and suggest, but clearly I am looking for a rugged, waterproof, simple point and shoot. :)

Smitty

The shock resistant feature of the Olympus does appeal to me having broken a couple of P&S but deep down I'm a Pentax freak, I tend to like the colour saturation in the Pentax shot jpegs better. Up to you, they're both good cameras

the olympus has been good to me. great picture nice video and yeah the shock thing saved my ass a few times. however, if you like shooting vids, the olympus lacks the zoom while you record function. something ive seen on other cameras, but not this one. in hind sight i would have dug deeper to find one that can.

do any u/w cameras have this function?????

Well, can't help but chuckle a little bit at the results so far; 50-50! :)

Makes me smile. I'll just have to try both of them out, and pick one. One thing Clive mentioned is that my pentax is definitely not a rapid shoot camera, that's for sure, but otherwise I have been pretty happy with the w10 - so the w60 intrigues me. But I'm still liking the toughness of the Olympus.

LK2, small side note; my original post I did mention I searched through the forums here. Cheers for the suggestion though. ;)

Keep'r coming guys.

Smitty

Flytyer's link is very good. I own a W20 and it is good.

The key points in favor of the Pentax listed in the article are these:

# 28-140mm lens

# Better lens resolution

# Better ISO noise

These are important for an angler and would sway an angler to the Pentax despite the positive features of the Olympus. If you are also a diver then go for the Oly. My Pentax has been in salt water for up to 30 minutes at a time and down to about 3 meters while snorkeling. Rinsed off and dried and it was fine.

Key point..... You will be happy with either.

One thing I will add:

Pay attention to how the screens look in direct sunlight. Neither (as far as I know) has a viewfinder, so it is all off the lcd. In sunlight, this can be an issue. When I bought mine, the Oly was a bit better than the Pentax. That was 18 months ago or so, so things could have changed.

BBTrout and Max:

Nice pics. BBtrout will you swear on a stack of bibles that's not from an aquarium? Jaysus...

I think someone is messing with me; the vote keeps getting back to 50-50. ;)

I think Clive is right, probably won't go wrong buying either one. And that was a great link to that comparison article, - thank-you!

Leaning towards the Pentax...

Smitty

Here's a side by side shot comparison. Check the Pentax Optio W60 against the Olympus Stylus 1030 SW.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

Click on the thumbnails to increase the sample pic size then click on the image again that comes up to zoom in.

Check the pics at any iso. In my opinion the Pentax blows the Olympus out of the water. (Pun intended.)

The Olympus pictures are very soft while the Pentax are obviously sharper.

I own the Olympus Stylus 850SW, and with some minor settings adjustments I found there is no diffrence from the two, plus knowing PS CS3 as well as I do I can take any photo out there and make it look great.

All of my best photo's I have taken, and I have taken alot of photo's was done with a Canon Powershot 520A 3.2 maga pixel and with some minor curves and light adjustments I was able to make some really good photo's.

On a side note the one thing I really liked about my olympus was that with the macro mode I have a setting on it that I can use a LCD flash and not the normal flash, which I liked alot.

I haven't taken many underwater photo's, just a few in the bath tub to really comment on the underwater photo aspect to it.

The biggest thing that swayed me into getting my current camera was the price ($70 cheeper then the pentex) and the shock proof, as this is primary going to be used as a river camera and who knows maybe one day I will drop it and the shock proof will come in handy.

As for the options, it doesn't really matter to me as long as it has a self timer.

Anyways Once I take more photo's with it I will post for everyone to see.

Those are some picture I *don't* want to see. :barf:

LOL, I guess I should of been more clear, I just realized what I said, what I meant to say is that I filled the tub up with water, and while wearing some clothing I tok some photo's to test out the underwater option the Olyumpus Stylus 850SW has.