Fly Fusion Forums

Tis The Season To Be Jolly

thefisherking

Well I've been lurking around the lounge for quite a while now and i finally decided to take the plunge. With christmas just around the corner, i think santa wanted to beat the crowds so he decided to drop off my gift a little early. Funny thing is i never knew santa lived in Whistler. Just wanted to say a special thanks to Brian for all his help in purchasing the rod. I'm totally pumped, i can't wait to give it try. Now all i have to do is figure out how to use it.

newrod002.jpg

The rod is is the 12 ft 7120 with the multi 6/9 reel, Skagit line and loop running line. I just had it in the backyard swinging it around, and it feels amazing. Feels a little strange to have 3 ft of extra rod but i am sure i will get used to it. I've been watching a few vids to try and pick up some tips on how to cast and it seems that a majority of them are using a down stream presentation, is that the norm with the spey rod? I also picked some 3 and 6 sink tip line. I've never used sink tip before and i was just wondering if you use a tapered leader when nymphing or would you use straight tippet? I know these seem like newbie questions but if you don't know how else are you gonna learn. I think i feel the flu coming on cough cough. Might have to call in sick tomorrow.

cheers

when i fish streamers and swing emergers boatman etc i fish em down and across.. traditianlly spey casting and double handed fishing has bin used with down and across presentations or straight across.. when i toss nymphs n indi's i fish em upstream and do what i normally do when fishing nymphs with a single hander. i use a tapered leader same length same corkie same nymphs only real differenct is i have a double handed rod instead of two.. teh rest stays the same. as for sinktip i fish em both single or double handed and usually urn only a couple of feet of heavy tippet like 10 -15lb might drop it down too 8 if i am swinging smaller nymphs... keep teh questions coming dude. and do some research on teh older posts.. theres tons too read and learn and when in doubt make a post.. tighltines!

Hay man congrats, nice set up you'll really enjoy it. Been throwing the Spey on the bow for a few years now, just to add I often swing wets and streamers. Indicator fishing is great as it gives you huge window of drift. Not to mention emergers and drifting and skidding dries. Nicest is being able to reach those pockets out there you couldn't before.

You will also need a Scandinavian Shooting head if you plan on nymphing with your new Spey rod.

A Vision Ace 6/7 Scandi head, with a 10' floating polyleader, really rocks on the Multi 7120.

Cant you nymph with a skagit line. do you really need a different line for nymphing with a spey rod. I dont know as I dont nymph with my spey rods. PK

You can nymph with a Skagit line or a Mid belly line, but I prefer to use Scandi lines as they are ideal in head length for the working distances and have finer tapers. I sometimes use an Airflo NW Skagit head, which is a little longer and has a finer front taper than a regular Skagit head, if the wind starts to blow. A regular Skagit head or Compact can work with a 10'/15' floating tip. Lines that are most suitable for nymphing, are very much like the lines used for dead drifting dry fly's...

Finer tapers, high floatation, allowing for clean mends, presentations etc...

Through my experience and for my style I use my Skagit with a fast sinking tip for presenting large, weighted flies. Great for fish that are lying deep in the currents or in heavy wind conditions with indi rigs. Just started fishing with a Vision Ace Scandi head and it's great for nymphs with a more fitness presentation and better feel for pick ups. Previous I was using Rio windcutters for standard Spey presentations but the Vision Ace is a charm for overhead style which I have come to love. I find I always carry several lined for various conditions.