Fly Fusion Forums

What Prevents The Sheep Frome Being A 5 Star Trout Stream?

I am wondering why it seems that the sheep is the poor sister among trout streams in the area. Compared to the Livingstone and Highwood as well as the Bow it gets a lot less credit and seem sto hold less trout. Do you agree with this, and if so what are your theories?

Holding water + Fertility. There's a lot less of both in the sheep than even the Highwood. And the Highwood is only about a quarter of what the OMR and Crow are. It's a fast, shallow stream with very little "pool" water for a LOT of it's length. Look hard enough and you'll find some real gems on the sheep though :)

difficult access, long shallow runs with some really fast water through some of the canyons, i have had some luck up stream in k country though, but it did require some what of a hike and a lot of effort for a few small fish. it is a freestone creek very much vulnerable to snow pack, drought and percipitation. often it gets blown out in the spring, scouring away a lot of plant life, thus the bug life is a little slower to come back, in gerneral the stream is not stable enough. although the fish are pretty hardy but there seems to be fewer than the other rivers in the area. for sure there are some great gems to be found, if you put in the effort.

Hi,

The Sheep has changed a lot since I was raised there in the late '40's>60's. The number of rainbows are down, the river got scoured out during the 2005 flood. Lessor holding water and the access I enjoyed as a kid is gone. But on a brighter note, some bulls are back. Got 7 in one afternoon. One of 24" or so. Saw another that may have exceeded 8 lbs. Would have posted picture but am unsure whether or not the picture police are around.

Don

LMAO....

Cheers to that...Jeff..

I fish the Sheep quite regularily. Few large fish but they are there. Caught a 20" bull this summer, and nice rainbows between the forestry reserve and turner valley. Always lots of whities to catch too. Its my go to river when I get frustrated with the Bow.

Cheers.