Fly Fusion Forums

Where Do You Take Your Vehicle For An Oil Change?

Just curious what everybody does for their basic oil change and why?

We used to go to Wal-Mart all the time just because it was so cheap. For the last number of months/years I've found their service going down hill in a major way. In fact, I'm quite shocked when I go to the Auto department and actually have someone there to help me.

Started going to Mr. Lube all the time just for the convenience factor.. can sit in your vehicle and wait with a newspaper and coffee or water included in the price. I also like that they top off all your fluids, wash your windows, and lubricate your door hinges if you want.

Been doing some reading on the net and it seems that pretty much everybody has had a bad experience somewhere. Some people hate the dealership and call them the "stealership".. others wouldn't go anywhere other than the dealership. What about you guys?

I'd like to do it myself.. but I don't really have a place to do it other than on the street.. and most people don't like that! :P Plus the whole "what is my time worth?" factor..

Anyways.. the reason I started this thread is because this last time my wife was in a hurry and went to Wal-Mart again... I went out this evening to check some things and noticed they had left the oil cap off and sitting on top of the battery. It's the first time the hood has been opened in a month and as of right now.. i'm pretty choked. I'm hoping no debris fell in the hole!!! :curse: Sad part is.. I probably can't do anything about it. They could just say, "how do we know YOU didn't take it off?"

Always myself, even though I drive company wheels. Like you said, nonsense like that with fill caps, etc. and the prospect that the damn thing will break down in the middle of nowhere as a result. With me being the one Munsoned (just watched Kingpin again) in the middle of nowhere.... I'd rather know it was my fault.

I work at Renfrew Chrysler and so I pretty much take it there haha. Its actually good though, we have a thing called "The peace of mind" check and I get it done every 7000 clicks and they do a total inspection for all major and minor wear and tear plus an oil change and they flush and top up all your fluids as well as rotate your tires for only 70 bucks. Pretty good deal, and it really is peace of mind.

I do it myself, since I'm a mechanic at a dealership...or "stealership" as you call it...LMAO

I have to admit that I've heard of places offering a cheap oil change just to get you in the door so they can find more wrong with your vehicle. That being said, just because they find something doesn't mean that you have to get it fixed there. Some places, like "Mr. Dube" (you can guess how they got that name), will just go through the motions to get you in & out fast which could cause you problems if there is an unreported problem.

If you went to a dealership & they found some things wrong you could always take it to your regular mechanic to verify what they found. If they're telling you the truth, then you've found somewhere you can trust. Then you'll know if they're trying to rip you off in the future.

As for using your driveway, if you've got one of those neighbors that likes to complain. They may end up calling the police on you because you 'could' end up getting oil down the sewer.

I work at Renfrew Chrysler and so I pretty much take it there haha. Its actually good though, we have a thing called "The peace of mind" check and I get it done every 7000 clicks and they do a total inspection for all major and minor wear and tear plus an oil change and they flush and top up all your fluids as well as rotate your tires for only 70 bucks. Pretty good deal, and it really is peace of mind.

Hi, You know that is a pretty good deal, I take my car to Renfrew Chrsler, I have a new Dodge, it costs me $87.00 something to have just my oil changed, $20.00 something to have my tires rotated, top up my fluids have never been done..or cleaned my car, which they used to do.. anyways.......

For only $70.00 bucks, I'll go for it...

Thanks..

Hi, You know that is a pretty good deal, I take my car to Renfrew Chrsler, I have a new Dodge, it costs me $87.00 something to have just my oil changed, $20.00 something to have my tires rotated, top up my fluids have never been done..or cleaned my car, which they used to do.. anyways.......

For only $70.00 bucks, I'll go for it...

Thanks..

We're cheaper...but you've gotta drive to Canmore :lol:

Hi, Cheaper ya ok... I'll go for that.. I can do some shoppen in Canmore, than pick up me car... Are you open on Saturdays?

Yes we're open Saturdays...& within walking distance of the Bow. So you could also go fishing instead of shopping. It's not even long distance to call since we have a Calgary direct number.

Yes we're open Saturdays...& within walking distance of the Bow. So you could also go fishing instead of shopping. It's not even long distance to call since we have a Calgary direct number.

Hi, Ya ok.. I don't even like to Shop... I hate it!!!!

What's your companys name?

I need to have some TLC done to my car, get ready for the winter..

Thanks...........

Hi, Ya ok.. I don't even like to Shop... I hate it!!!!

What's your companys name?

I need to have some TLC done to my car, get ready for the winter..

Thanks...........

Can-Bow Motors right on Railway Ave. Just take exit 89 & it'll take you right to it. Calgary direct number is: 403-264-2520

my prev. vehicle was a jeep - i did it myself in my garage unless there was other work going that needed a pro.

my present one is a pathfinder - i have done myself but it's an ass pain with all the plates & guards...diminishing returns re: time vs. money. and dealing with used oil...wife loved that part.

now it's either mr. dube [check the work as it's done - you tend to get some attention paid when you appear to know what the crap is going on as opposed to reading the paper] or my local shop or the dealer.

Does Mr. Lube actually let you stand out and watch what they're doing? I've never asked..

I've always had great service at Mr. Lube.. but I've read some not so good stuff. One girl on an internet forum had the same situation as myself at Wal-Mart.. they left the cap off. Except for her.. her engine blew 2 weeks later. Makes me a bit nervous.

We're looking at moving again and this time we're making sure we have a parking spot off the street. If we can do that, I'll start doing it myself. Otherwise, I'm thinking about just bringing it to Toyota from now on.

Does Mr. Lube actually let you stand out and watch what they're doing? I've never asked..

neither have i, i just try to stay out of the way, but close enough i can see hear what they are doing. like anywhere service oriented these days you get a mixed bag of staff working there and i found it just pays to pay attention to some kids changing your oil.

Old car and Mike's co vehicle - Mr. Lube. But once they tried to hose me by suggesting a change in air filter (I had just done it - did it every fall after we were done driving the gravel roads) and a bunch of other things. I kinda got the impression that they seen me coming and gave me the "naive woman" spiel. I didn't like that - they almost used intimidation tactics about tranny fluid, brake stuff etc. and what would happen if I didn't have that stuff looked at. I finally just told them to cram it and just change the oil. At the end of the day, for what I paid there, I should have gone to the dealership.

Now that I own a Saturn and see the benefits of taking it to a dealer, I will. They will wash my vehicle and fill up my fluids for free! The price difference can't be much of a factor and I'd rather have the guys that know what they're doing with my vehicle, work on my vehicle. Plus the service dept. at Hyatt is the best I've ever encountered - a great bunch of guys!

The thing that I like about my new vehicle is that oil changes are only every 12,000 kms. Unless I get my monthly report and it tells me to do otherwise. I had to go every 5,000 before - anyone else going more than every 5,000 kms? Is it the new type of engines they're putting in now?