Fly Fusion Forums

Where Do You Take Your Vehicle For An Oil Change?

The thing that I like about my new vehicle is that oil changes are only every 12,000 kms. Unless I get my monthly report and it tells me to do otherwise. I had to go every 5,000 before - anyone else going more than every 5,000 kms? Is it the new type of engines they're putting in now?

A lot of manufacturers are telling you to go this long with the new stuff. Some synthetic oils' lubricating properties can go this long, however the detergents in the oil rarely last that long and the filters will only handle so much of the contaminates before they start to by-pass. The normal acids that are created in the engine are also building up. The only true way to extend oil changes is through lab analyses such as what heavy trucks and locomotives do. An engine job is $6000+ an oil change is (should) be under $50, like the Fram slogan used to say,"you can pay me now, or pay me latter!" Changing your oil 5000-6000 kms is cheap insurance. My 1983 Toyota 4x4 is changed every 4500-5000kms, after 386000km's it burns about less than half a cup of oil between changes, mostly through leaky valve stem seals. I dont even check it between changes once.

Hey Birchy, yah I know Kelly. Great guy :) Flyfisherwoman, you should definately get the "peace of mind" it combines all that other crap into a special deal kind of thing at a way lower price instead of paying for each one individually.

Kelly and I worked together for a few years when he was still with Deloitte.

You're the second guy I've talked to in the past week that works at Renfrew! Another gentleman came by last week and picked up my old hockey bag to use as a bag for his pontoon. He's recently moved down from Edmonton. I'm pretty sure his name was Steve.