Fly Fusion Forums

Stuck Rods

If heat doesn't work, try spraying a tiny bit of WD-40.

LK,

Try this:

Sit down with your hands gripping the rod outside your knees, the stuck piece between you knees. Then use your legs to pull your knees apart. You get lots of force and works like a charm. Make sure not to have your hands up against a guide or you will have a different problem.

I did this with a section that was really stuck and they popped right apart. Stuck with salt deposits.

Failing all of the above .... First, with a soft/hard object (a dinner knife handle wrapped in cloth), super gently tap the offending ferrule section and then with two people gripping the sections with two hands firmly pull away and twist slightly in opposite directions. Good luck.

If all else fails - and you really don't want to risk cracking the ferrule, and you have a vise and a couple friends on hand...

Same as dryfly but try it with an adjustable wrench snugged to the diameter of the male blank - secure the rods cork firmly in a vise (rod horizontal) - the adj wrench will give contact on 3 sides of the female as opposed to 1 (as with a knife) - zap the connection with compressed air (you'll see frost forming all over) once your satisfied it is frozen all the way through have a bud support and apply light but firm pull (away from vise) while another friend heats the female side with a hairdryer while you LIGHTLY tap the adjustable wrench with a finishing nail hammer (light and small) making sure you are applying force equally to the 3 edges contacted by the wrench. use only thin cloth between the rod and wrench - you don't want the fabric absorbing any of the force in this case - Do not apply twist if you try it

You may wanna just start and finish this way if it is an expensive rod. advantage is you are not applying any single force at any given time signifigant enough to split the ferrule

Well I tried everything from the hair dryer to the tapping with the knife and its still welded together, I actually broke a sweat ( probably from the hair dryer jacking the heat up in here like 45 degrees) I think I have myself a brand new three piece <_<

Guest tallieho

now that you have tried all of these suggestions & i hope that you were suscessful in maintaining a 2 pc.next time before you put it together again grap yourselve a a waxed candle & give the male end a few strokes of the candle.this method has saved me many times,there is just the right amount of no sticky in the wax.

You weren't fishing with a buddy who might have put a couple of drops of glue on your rod when you weren't looking before you stuck it together?

Were you?

**I second the Knee approach outlined - been there done that many times - worked 90% of the time!!

I was checking out the Westfly website and saw this tip...don't know if ya want to risk it. If it works...I'd be amazed.

---If your rod is stuck and you want it to come apart, just drive home with the tip section sticking out the window. Unfortunately, it works every time

Good Luck. I had the same problem last time out..left it...went fishing with the rod and then it came apart no problem. Perhaps I was lucky..

Yeah I tried the knee method after heating it up, tapping it with a knife, not too keen on spraying the WD40 on it though. Its STUCK good, I'll bring it out and try the roll casting, but if that doesn't work expect a guy with a green hat to come up too you guys on the river and be all like "do you have a minute"??

You might want to try the cold approach or a combination of heat applied to the female ferrule section and cold to the other section. I have on a number of occasions had the same problem after fishing on a hot day and found that by holding the rod in the river for a minute or so worked like a charm.