Fly Fusion Forums

Golden Stonefly Nymphs ???

tbone

The one pattern that I cant catch fish on are golden stonefly nymphs. I figure they should be absolutley on fire right now given that shucks are all over the rocks and the dry fly imitations are working, but all the fish are hitting the SJW or the other caddis/mayfly nymph imitations that I'm using.

Would someone mind posting a good bow river stonefly nymph pattern or two? I apologize if this topic has already been discussed.

These are the Stoneflys that have been emerging on the Lower Bow River in big numbers this week, from Calgary to Carseland. This is what your nymphs and drys should look like. It is important to fish Stonefly nymphs with a lot of weight on your rig, which needs to be stalling on every drift. Also, it is a good idea to tie two sizes of nymphs on the rig at the same time, to represent both males and females and to get the extra weight needed.

The larger nymph shown in the first photo, a female, is 42mm long, anterior to posterior and the smaller male is 32mm.

The first few days of emergence of this species, are mostly the males, then, when the females emerge, the males are waiting at the waters edge. The females are barely out of their casing, before a male is copulating with her.

The second photo shows the underside of the nymphs.

The third photo shows two females that had just emerged.

The fourth and fifth photo show the underside and top view, of a mature Skid Bitch, ready for an egg laying run.

Claassenia Sabulosa (Short winged Stoneflys)

IMG_0478.jpg

IMG_0495.jpg

IMG_0475.jpg

IMG_0488.jpg

IMG_0491.jpg

The one pattern that I cant catch fish on are golden stonefly nymphs. I figure they should be absolutley on fire right now given that shucks are all over the rocks and the dry fly imitations are working, but all the fish are hitting the SJW or the other caddis/mayfly nymph imitations that I'm using.

Would someone mind posting a good bow river stonefly nymph pattern or two? I apologize if this topic has already been discussed.

Check my Alberta stone in the pattern area, It's been producing.

I posted the second nymph photo, at your request Sarah. I also have photo's of the adult males, but they stay on the shoreline after emergence and the fish rarely see them. If they fall in the water, they quickly skate back to safety.

The Skid Bitches skate on the surface when laying eggs, but sometimes the fast current pulls them under the film.

They can also skate for very long distances, downstream. Late one evening last week, Hawgstoppah and I watched dozens of them crawl to the water and skate down river through the flats, for as far as we could see. A few were met by hungry trout. These Skid Bitches had allready dropped their eggs and I wondered where they were going.