Fly Fusion Forums

Sage Reels

bloom

I understand the desire to use quality tools for the job. I'm just not convinced that these fancy reels are necessary in Alberta. But we are a society with lots of money for toys and a desire for the next great thing. Fine reels are certainly a pleasure to use and to take pictures of :saycheeze:

You drop an opti, and it's folded into itself...loop reels are never going to match what Danielson was.

I'd buy a Hatch any day of the week far above any other reel for the same price as a loop...

Lamson Velocitys are probably the best reel for the price with an incredible drag

Correct me if I am wrong but up till the early 2000 wasn't loop reels made by danielson?

Also looking at the new danielson and the loops they have alot of feathers that are exactly the same.

MR Bcube, have you even ever owned a loop reel or are you just using second hand information?

BTW are you talking for all the shops in town when you say that they do not carry the reels because they break too easy cause I would like to explore this some more and find out the reason, personally I think it has something to do with up until the last year or two there wasn't a market for their spey reels, but of course I could be wrong on this.

As for the Lamson Velocity, I personally own one and do not like it too much for a couple of reasons.

1) Way too heavy (not so bad when I put it on my 8wt 12.6 but on my 6wt 12.6 and my 7wt 11.6 it just is way oo heavy)

2) Very loud reel which I do not like

3) The spools for changing line setups are a huge pain in the ass

4) I find I am cleaning the inside of it way too much also.

I say get what you like and screw what others have to say.

CAll me a wanker or what ever you like, but for anything i caught here my Cheapass TFO reels work fine, I got them cause they are cheap and replacable, but I have found the both of them I have abused and beaten to rat *hit and they still work fine (ok they need a good cleaning) I look at them as the Chevette of reels the get you to where you need to be will take an incredible beating but you never will get the chick with one.

just my .02

Tight lines

Teck

Well there you have it, Bloom...The FFC Complete Flyreel Review, strong opinions on both sides for every brand/model available...with a few insults, colorfull rebuttals and slanderous remarks thrown in for entertainment purposes.

Whichever model you choose, will be the right one for you...

Good Luck and Enjoy!

ps. Teck...you're a wanker. :lol:

Well there you have it, Bloom...The FFC Complete Flyreel Review, strong opinions on both sides for every brand/model available...with a few insults, colorfull rebuttals and slanderous remarks thrown in for entertainment purposes.

and it is a mighty entertaining read for sure, just sad to see it end?

Well, I made a few extra bucks this summer and the wife put the idea in my head about buying a 'new rod or something'. The rod will be for lakes and chironomiding, and the z-axis seems like a no brainer to me...it's just down to the reel now.

Looking at matching it up with a sage reel (2560), just to try something different (green reel, green rod, same companies, etc). Heard some good stuff on the reel, but also saw a couple rough reviews and heard that they are being discontinued.

Already own Hardy, Ross, Loop, Danielson, SA, Islander and I like them all. New evotec or Islander would likely be my choice if I don't go with the sage.

So, any reviews on the sage reels, specifically the 2500 series? (3300D seems a bit heavy)

The 2500 series offer a rich, round and sweet drag system with a perky adjustment knob for consistent operation. The self lubricating drive gears mean no more stopping in the middle of the pulsating action to lube up. These reels stand spankingly erect when subject to searing runs and easily endure repetitive action. The 2500 series present a hot, sweet, crisp and inviting texture yet simple straightforward operation.

I think the 2560 would make a yummy match with the Z-Axis– like a dessert fresh out of the oven. Clean, well made and tasty. Sexy beyond comparison. :lol:

Every reel mentioned will do fine for trout fishing. I have used lamsons, waterworks, abels, ross', hardy's, nautilus's, system 2's and a few others I might have forgotten. Some have seen use in the tropics lots get used for salmon in the salt and they see a few steelhead every year. I honestly can say I have never seen one of my reels fail in use. For trout though I have bought a few ross evolutions and I am quite happy with their performance. But just get whatever you want they will all work.

Thanks...you've guys just made it tougher now. Too many good reels out there, and I know that whichever I pick, it will be more than suitable.

I just seem to go in phases with reels, and I'm looking at trying something different...which leads me back to sage, nautilus and danilesson. Likely getting it at Fishtales, so it's probably sage 3300D or danielsson cause I don't think they carry nautilus or Hatch.

Likely getting it at Fishtales, so it's probably sage 3300D or danielsson cause I don't think they carry nautilus or Hatch.

Bloom,

I know that Fishtales have a hatch reel in their display case but do not know exactly what they carry. Also maybe you want to look into the serria reels the new TX2 is pretty cool.