Fly Fusion Forums

Sage Reels

bloom

Well, I made a few extra bucks this summer and the wife put the idea in my head about buying a 'new rod or something'. The rod will be for lakes and chironomiding, and the z-axis seems like a no brainer to me...it's just down to the reel now.

Looking at matching it up with a sage reel (2560), just to try something different (green reel, green rod, same companies, etc). Heard some good stuff on the reel, but also saw a couple rough reviews and heard that they are being discontinued.

Already own Hardy, Ross, Loop, Danielson, SA, Islander and I like them all. New evotec or Islander would likely be my choice if I don't go with the sage.

So, any reviews on the sage reels, specifically the 2500 series? (3300D seems a bit heavy)

I've heard good and bad. I love Sage rods, but haven't had good experiences with their reels.

I've looked at the Loop and like the technology, so that's what I'm going with for my next reels. But that's just me, I change my mind like the Calgary weather.

I've always liked Lamson as well.

You can test drive my 4 wt Z-Axis this weekend if you like...On the little guys of course. ;)

Tim,

I own a 2560. It's a nice reel with a decent drag, but overall I think you can get better reels. My personal preference would be the Nautilus FW5. I have an FW5 and an FW7 and I think that they're the best reel for the money these days.

I'll bring the 2560 and the FW5 this weekend and you can decide for yourself. :)

My personal preference would be the Nautilus FW5. I have an FW5 and an FW7 and I think that they're the best reel for the money these days.

+1 on the Nautilus FW5. Excellent reels with a sealed drag. Mine has put up with a year of abuse (dropped on rocks, dunked in water temps below 0, etc.) and other than a few "character marks" in the finish is as good as the day I bought it.

So, any reviews on the sage reels, specifically the 2500 series? (3300D seems a bit heavy)

I fish a 3300D on my XP 6wt and a 2540 on my SPL 4wt. The 3000 series is heavier than the 2500 series, though I feel the setup balances fine, and I haven't had any problems casting all day with the 3300D. The 3000D series are rock solid bullet proof reels that you'll have for the rest of your life. That said, Nautilus would be my second choice. If you're looking for a super light reel, and not too concerned with drag, check out the 3300 click & pawl.

A buddy of mine and his wife own 6wt Z axis rods with the green 2560's it's a sharp looking setup with the green blank of the Z axis and the green frame of the reel.

Basically, you can't go wrong with any of the Sage series reels, or with a Nautilus.

I am personally stuck on Loops/Danielsons at the moment. Major problem with most reels used over time is "play" between the spool & housing. I have seen this on all reels including Nautilus Fw's, Lamsons, Tiogas.... Never on the Loops because if thier flanged design for connecting the spool to housing.

Drag wise, they are all sufficient for what we use them for in Alberta.

Dean

Hi Tim,

I have both the Sage 3300D and the Nautilus Fw 5 and the both are awesome reels but the FW is lighter and has as good or better drag. Also dosen't hurt that it looks great and costs abaut $150.00 less than the 3300D (even less if you know where to look). Another thing to concider is not only does the reel cost less but extra spools are considerably less coin. Check out Russ's FW and you will be sold.

Cheers,

Paulie

Hey Tim,

I just bought a 4 wt Z-Axis and paired it with the Nautilus FW 3+, awesome setup so far. Another thing to consider about the Nautilus FW plus reels is the ability to interchange with regular Nautilus FW and the + spools giving you the ability to change between several line weights by merely the swap of a spool.

Like Paulie (I can't believe you call yourself Paulie) said, try Rusty's out even though I'm sure my FW 3+ is way nicer than his FW 5. :)

As for the Z-Axis, wow! It's almost my favorite.

Major problem with most reels used over time is "play" between the spool & housing. I have seen this on all reels including Nautilus Fw's, Lamsons, Tiogas.... Never on the Loops because if thier flanged design for connecting the spool to housing.

Do you mean empty space between the spool and the cage or that the spool floats? I have a Nautilus FW5, 8, 10, and 12T and haven't run into this on any of them.

You can also look at a HATCH reel.

Do you really need a great saltwater proof reel for chironomiding?

I have been using Loop Opti Megaloop and Loop Classic reels with my trout Spey rods and I am able to use 4x-5x tippets without getting snapped off. The high end drag system really helps protect finer tippets. I have even used 4x tippets on my 8wt. Spey rods, which would be sort of equivalent to an 11wt. single hander

These reels have been excellent, for all of my fishing needs. They look pretty cool too.

http://www.looptackle.com/website1/1.0.1.0/411/1/index.php

The Loop Opti reels are the nicest looking reels I've ever seen - I was sooooooooo close to buying one but changed my mind because of how light the frame is on them. You probably take much better care of your gear than I do though Greg.

You drop an opti, and it's folded into itself...loop reels are never going to match what Danielson was.

I'd buy a Hatch any day of the week far above any other reel for the same price as a loop...

Lamson Velocitys are probably the best reel for the price with an incredible drag

Do you mean empty space between the spool and the cage or that the spool floats? I have a Nautilus FW5, 8, 10, and 12T and haven't run into this on any of them.

Yes, the spool "floats". This relates fully to the spring loaded retaining clip on the face of the spool. Just typical wear and tear. I think the 12T is the ccf brake design, which uses a different design for spool to reel attachment.

Do/have you put a 100+ days a year on all of these?

Regards

Dean

Personally, I never use the "drop test" to gauge a reels effectiveness or performance. If I dropped one of my $1,200 Loop Spey rods on the rocks, it would probably break as well.

That said, the Loop Classic would likely perform better in the "drop test", than the Opti series. Performance wise, they are both my favorites.

Yes, the spool "floats". This relates fully to the spring loaded retaining clip on the face of the spool. Just typical wear and tear. I think the 12T is the ccf brake design, which uses a different design for spool to reel attachment.

Do/have you put a 100+ days a year on all of these?

Regards

Dean

I think all of the Nautilus reels except the FW series come with the CCF brake. Don't think I've put 100+ days on any of them since I bought them all in the last year. Sounds to me if it did happen to my FW that it'd be a warranty issue and I'd just send it back to Kristen. :)

Personally, I never use the "drop test" to gauge a reels effectiveness or performance. If I dropped one of my $1,200 Loop Spey rods on the rocks, it would probably break as well.

That said, the Loop Classic would likely perform better in the "drop test", than the Opti series. Performance wise, they are both my favorites.

I can't wait for you to have this 1200 dollar rod broken by your idiocy of using a vac rack while driving.

Loop reels are renowned for drags failing, ever wonder what the reason is that no shops in calgary carry loop when they used to?

Performance wise, there are quite a few reels that out perform loops with smoother and far more consistent drag systems, and a reel that won't blow up if you do what a normal person has done at least once in their life..i guess pretending to being a loop pro team member (which your not, but for some reason you keep telling people...), makes you immune to a slip...

I think all of the Nautilus reels except the FW series come with the CCF brake. Don't think I've put 100+ days on any of them since I bought them all in the last year. Sounds to me if it did happen to my FW that it'd be a warranty issue and I'd just send it back to Kristen. :)

Actually the FW series comes with the CCF brake system as well including all the other Nautilus reels. The difference is in the name, the original Nautilus CCF reels are now just called Nautilus 8, Nautilus 10, and Nautilus 12. They and the 12T have the similar spool system (they screw tight, like the Loop) where as the FW's have the "quick release" spring loaded spool system. Maybe that's what he meant?

What are the adverse effects of having a "floating" spool?

I can't wait for you to have this 1200 dollar rod broken by your idiocy of using a vac rack while driving.

Loop reels are renowned for drags failing, ever wonder what the reason is that no shops in calgary carry loop when they used to?

Performance wise, there are quite a few reels that out perform loops with smoother and far more consistent drag systems, and a reel that won't blow up if you do what a normal person has done at least once in their life..i guess pretending to being a loop pro team member (which your not, but for some reason you keep telling people...), makes you immune to a slip...

Still spewing garbage eh Brent... Feel better?

Actually the FW series comes with the CCF brake system as well including all the other Nautilus reels. The difference is in the name, the original Nautilus CCF reels are now just called Nautilus 8, Nautilus 10, and Nautilus 12. They and the 12T have the similar spool system (they screw tight, like the Loop) where as the FW's have the "quick release" spring loaded spool system. Maybe that's what he meant?

What are the adverse effects of having a "floating" spool?

My guess would be vibration when a fish is running on you and potentially while reeling in.

The FW doesn't have the "full" CCF brake, though. The Nautilus site says "The Nautilus Feather Weight series inherited the most desirable features of the CCF Nautilus series yet weigh in at almost half the weight."

http://www.nautilusreels.com/Reel02.asp?ReelSize=NautilusFW

Two things I don't like about the Loop Opti reels are that the screw cap comes right off and there is an alignment tab for the spool. Makes changing out a spool streamside a bit of a pain since you have to align the tab properly and worry about not losing the cap. And I'm speaking from experience on this since I own a MegaLoop. Fantastic design, super light, and huge arbor to reduce line memory though.

Toolman = pwned

:goodvsevil():

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh forums :angel:smail:

The only slight pain in the butt from the spool-frame float that I've seen is that the line very occasionally gets caught in the gap. This happens with the 2560 and the FWs, as well as nearly every other reel out there.

Most folks I talked to that fished fast saltwater fish like false albacore were really happy with the Nautilus CCFs - that's why I picked up a #10. Like headscan pointed out, the best thing about the Nautilus is that the spool interchange system locks in well and doesn't give you loose parts like the Islander or other reels.

You're comparing Ferraris and Lamborghinis at this point.

"The high end drag system really helps protect finer tippets"

I guess that's why I read about so many Bow river fish screaming way out into the backing. If you completely turn your drag off the fish can run to Carsland.

I wonder how we all landed fish 20 years ago with crappy equipment? Man is marketing effective.

I have some quality reels but the one I have used the most this year is a machined reel that I got for under $50 (and the fish don't even know).

I certainly understand what you are saying, but I did not buy these high end reels specifically for my Bow fishing. However, since I have them, why not use and enjoy them for all of my fishing. There are other benefits besides a smooth drag system.