Fly Fusion Forums

Best Fly Fishing Shop In Calgary

Hmm..well the "Best" is a fairly subjective concept. That being said, I have been a loyal Fish Tales customer for years now. Personally, I have never had anything but the best service and great advice from that shop. Dave and Nancy really know how to look after their customers.

That's awesome. Thanks for asking the question outkast!

I am a fairly new (brand new) fly fisher and was wondering where the best place to go would be, I was planning on checking out the local shops in hunt of the best one, but at least I now know where most people's favorite is!

Thanks guys!

Fish Tales is my #1. Can't beat the service and advice. Shopped there for at least 8 years now, probably more. Not in there as much as I'd like to be at this point in my life though :(

If you want a bit cheaper, and still good folks, but more of a busy and slightly less "personal" environment, go to wholesale sports.

The Best in the NW is Bowriver Troutfitters

The best Downtown is Hansons

The best in the SW is Fishtales and country pleasers and Westwinds and wholesale and Russels and and and

They are all good places to go but I lean towards troutfitters as it's in my end of town and they have great staff. Then it's Hansons cuz I work DT.

I'll throw in a vote for Fishtales... excellent service, almost all my money goes there unless I need to pick up something quick then it is whole sale. tried troutfitters but was not as impressed with the service.

I sepnd most of fly fishing budget at Troutfitters due to its proximity. They have always been very helpful to me and tolerant of my stupidity when I was just learning. Fish tales has been good to me as well but its along way from home. Wholesale is good cause I can leave the wife and kid at Ikea or Micheals etc and actually browse and the guys behind the counter have been very helpful as well.

i spread the wealth (or lack there of) around and go pretty much everywhere except the fishing hole and hansons and that is only because i am never downtown or in the NE

i work across the street from country pleasures, went in today and got a hey, havent seen you in awhile, whatcha been up to

so there you go.

Guest Outcasts

Coming from BC to alberta and not having a damn clue as to how to fish a barren land (comparative to the "walking distance from wherever you are fishing" in bc) i found fish tales to be unbelievably personable and didnt snob me out because i didnt know what an indicater was or what a bow river bugger was. Graham basically hooked me up with my entire set up and told me how to start fly fishing the bow and my dad ended up getting a full set up from there after testing out my gear, might have cost me 50 bucks more than at wholesale but the one on one service i got and the info i left with were worth way more than wholesale pricing. For flyfishing gear alone you cant get a better shop than fish tales especially when you live as deep in the south as i do. And it didnt affect my post but i was under the influence this was their website...