Fly Fusion Forums

The Flygirls First Bullies...(my Oldest Daughter)...

beedhead

Good show Jeff. Nice to see you sharing your passion with your daughter. I can't believe those things are still eating stuff.

Diggler: The 27" Bulls weigh 7lb. I have not seen a picture of a Bull much over that (if at all) on here. There may be a few Bulls over 30" that will break the 10lb mark, but they are quite rare.

Rick, I like how you think. Please stop being so practical because you're interrupting this brilliant argument.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanx monger...We actualy taped one at 30....And caught 3 more that size but didn't tape them...We figure they were 30+...To much pissin around taping fish....Unless ya got the tape ready....The big guys I didn't post due to the fact they were to revealing...Dekkard got 2-3 of the big guys, and I with one....Wow did they put on a show....Got a nasty p.m from one of BBB's buddy's saying "is that all you do is fish the upper channel and Bolton creek??...All your pics show that that is where you guy's are fishing...get a life"...And he had some other choice things to say....I wished them Bulls were that big in the upper!!...Haven't fished Bolton since early spring....LOL...

I got a pic or two if ya wanna see the big ones....P.m me and I'll send em to ya....

Cheers....Jeff..

Guest bigbadbrent
I am no fish biologist, nor do I play one on TV, but I would bet the money in my wallet right now that Jeff did not damage a single fish when he held it. (Not that I have much money in my wallet, but if I did, I'd still bet it.)

How bout this, from a fish biologist i emailed?

Brent,

The least stressful way to photogaph a fish is with it in the water while being cradled on its side while allowing it to recover from the stress of the fight before releasing it......

Also, ensure that if the fish should flip out of the grasp of the person holding it, that it doesn't have far to fall or fall onto rocks or a hard surface where it could be injured. Holding it over water is best, but if on land, hold the fish over a soft surface (e.g., moss or grass), and kneel so that the fish won't have that far to fall if it should slip out of your grasp......

Lifting really large fish out of the water causes greater stress, since gravity will result in more compression occurring to the internal organs....

So lets see, if these fish are the 6-10lb bulls that Diggler talks about, then holding them out of the water, especially by their belly, is more harmful. There are lots of pictures of fish being held over gravel (not a soft surface) and not ONE photo of a bull on its side in the water recovering. And yet still, not one reasoning behind why you hold these bulls in this manner.

Guest bigbadbrent
Why are you bringing Dekkard into this....He has not even been on this thread....He stays away from the forum cuzz of crap like this....

Thats why you never see his pics...

....Jeff...

Sorry, misread, meant Diggler, too many D's on the forum

Guest bigbadbrent

I'm only apologizing for mixing up a name, other then that you still haven't answered a super simple question of why you hold the fish that way...is it so you can pretend those 26" are 30s? Or you just don't like me proving you wrong?

this is the only douche bag post i've made yet in this topic, but you asked for it by calling me one.

Stop taking this forum so seriously and taking this as a personal shot, i asked you a simple question and you took it so personally..

me and max piss each other off all the time on the forum, yet we seem to fish together and laugh all the time...its a internet forum man, take it easy

You want me to taker easy....After the nasty P.m's I have got from you and your buddy....LOL...

Proving me wrong????...Ha...

I have fun fishin....As do the people that I fish with....We have a HOOT!!!!...And it shows....And I don't have to answer anything to you dude....

...Jeff..

Good show Jeff. Nice to see you sharing your passion with your daughter. I can't believe those things are still eating stuff.

Diggler: The 27" Bulls weigh 7lb. I have not seen a picture of a Bull much over that (if at all) on here. There may be a few Bulls over 30" that will break the 10lb mark, but they are quite rare.

Rick, I like how you think. Please stop being so practical because you're interrupting this brilliant argument.

Yeah, you bet....i wasnt getting tecnical or anything, just threw numbers out there for the sake of the argument......thank you for making me honest!LOL!

And for every one else, i think we should get together and have a good old fashion gang fight followed by a good old fashion bulltrout BBQ , then all make sweet love till the sun comes up...................kidding....but seriously, im goin fishin.......and i think everyone else should do the same. Thats why we are here, to share are storys of our pasion for the sport, not bash eachother. I feel that some people may spend a liitle to much time on the computer anylizing other people's experience, or telling everyone how much they know, and not enough time fishing and creating their own experiences. Just my two bits, im outta here....

Brent,

I've caught fish much larger than the bullies pictured in this post, out of a boat. Picking them up is generally a requirement, or netting which I'm not sure doesn't cause as much harm from the mesh than from any organ issues. So how are these supposed to be handled?

This argument is somewhat silly. I've seen 10,000 pictures in magazines of fish being handled in this way. I really think way too much is being made of this, and it got way too personal.

Discussions can be had without douche bag getting tossed about!

That said, I have way less issue with you bringing this up. You contribute significantly to this board, so have earned the right (that's not the right word, but it will do) to bring up issues like this. There are many others on this board who contribute in many ways who also have no qualms about bringing up fish handling issues based on a picture. While I think it needs to be done judiciously, it is not that much of an issue. I however do have issues with people who contribute basically nothing other than pointing out the perceived mistakes of others. While I would never say they don't have a "right" to post, I will say their opinion is meaningless to me (as I'm quite sure mine is to them.)

Thats why we are here, to share are storys of our pasion for the sport, not bash eachother.

Exactly!

I think that there are a few things we can all do to help each other, but this approach isn't constructive to anyone. Perhaps as a community we can come up with a collective "guideline" for some of the unwritten etiquette. Many people just starting out may not know what the proper way to handle a fish is, just out of inexperience, and if you have ever watched some of the "pro" fishermen on TV, you have an idea where they are starting from. Rather than reading the riot act and trying to shame people each time a fish is shown in a manner you don't agree with, we could simply direct people to the article. Brent, you seem to have put in some time researching the topic, so I'm suggesting that you could start us off.

BTW, if you do get harassing or abusive PMs, please forward them to the admins (SanJuanWorm, Maxwell, Flytyer, LK2 or myself) and we'll take care of it. Everyone if free to express their opinions as long as it's done respectfully.

Jeff as far as I am concerned and having fished with you as much as I have....there is no doubt in my mind that you show a great deal of respect when handling fish....keep the reports and pic's coming my friend...and I look forward to our next fishing trip....Gary

Thanx all.. for the kind comments on my Daughters fishin skills and all the rest of the comments...I fish hard when I can...And enjoy sharing pics of my trips....I absolutly love to see pics of other peoples trips, fish and scenery....I don't sit there and analize everyones pics and pic out the good from the bad....Hell, we have all been out on the water and had a fish or two not do to well after releasing it...But as long as we have done our absolute best to do what is right for the fish....Thats fishin!!...I don't post pics to brag...I post pics cuzz I love to see others pics on this forum...And I know people really like to see my pics....There sure are allot of fine casters on this board that used to post on this and the old Alberta forum....And don't anymore, due to the fact of high horse MO-FO's that think they are all that....I know why they don't post...Cuzz I have talked to them ....I think there are a few that need to grow up, and start to see the fun side of fishing....It is not a contest....Hell...I compete with My-self when I know threre are fish to get to hand....Thats why I have spent so much time In K....I am now starting to figure them Bulls out....And that is the way I am....If I wan it....I go for it....And wont take no for an answer....I could go on....But....I have a passion, and live it....

Cheers all....Jeff

Great work buddy. Even better work passing along the skills to the next generation. I think we all have fond memories of being taken out by an uncle/aunt/parent/grandparent and enjoying the firsthand excitement of landing a fish.

Down with the hate, life's too short folks.

Johnny

How bout this, from a fish biologist i emailed?

So lets see, if these fish are the 6-10lb bulls that Diggler talks about, then holding them out of the water, especially by their belly, is more harmful. There are lots of pictures of fish being held over gravel (not a soft surface) and not ONE photo of a bull on its side in the water recovering. And yet still, not one reasoning behind why you hold these bulls in this manner.

Consequently you should also buy the fish dinner at a restaurant of it's choice, swap insurance information and reccommend a counsellor of your choosing.

Johnny

Well I have nothing else to contribute to this thread ecxept....I love to fish!!!...Meet new people along the way and share stories and or advise....

Just got back from a great afternoon/extended evening of fishing with my daughter and good friend diggler...Had a great time....

Sorry for any ''Douche'' like things I might have said (Brent).. :P ...No hard feelings eh...(other than you and your buds P.m's... not called for)...But I'm bigger than that...Just got caught up in other peoples negativities toward fellow casters....Oh well...I'd like to say that's fishin...But thats not fishin in my books....Its about spending time with Friends and family...And havin a good time...Sharing good times and expeirences...As do I and the peolple that I fish with....Going to Battle creek and area tomorrow with the oldest...Should be a great time...May make a post to share some pics....Anywho...Thats about all I have to say on this thread...Things got a little outa Hand???...No I think it was just bit of negativity....But what I got out of it mostly was possitive...

Cheers all...Jeff...

July 2nd and 3rd my Daughter and myself hit Mt. Lorette ponds for a bit and upper K. The ponds fished very well and my little one was able to catch a bunch on a caddis but upper K was very slow with only one on but we had a great time watching a helicopter make a few passes moving gear around.

CampingJuly22008003.jpg

CampingJuly22008006.jpg

CampingJuly22008023.jpg

And one for Max

CampingJuly22008013.jpg

I'm not trying to start anything here but I need to let you know that kissing fish poses the possibility of irreversible psychological damage to the fish. This is a practice that must be stopped. And please, if it must be done, no tongue as this creates a completely different set of issues. I know cause I talked to my favorite fish biologist about it.

July 2nd and 3rd my Daughter and myself hit Mt. Lorette ponds for a bit and upper K. The ponds fished very well and my little one was able to catch a bunch on a caddis but upper K was very slow with only one on but we had a great time watching a helicopter make a few passes moving gear around.

CampingJuly22008003.jpg

CampingJuly22008006.jpg

CampingJuly22008023.jpg

And one for Max

CampingJuly22008013.jpg

Sweet pics dude...Good on you and your daughter....Great stuff!!!....Them fish look identical to the trips they put in Bullshead this spring...I say that due to the Color and the shape of the tails....The stocking list said that those ponds got trips....The only reason I can think of is to protect the natives in the K river???...In case they make it into the river system???

Great stuff dude....Jeff..

No need to be sorry....Just quit being a Douche...

....Jeff...

Ahhhhh! LMFAO!!

I don't know where I've been but I read the first few posts of this board...had an 'awe shucks' moment and moved on...didn't realise it turned into a flame fight, and a ff with some good points.

My stance....love the picts...love the 'awe shucks' feeling of a young person enjoying the sport...loved the picts of the bulls!

As for the handeling....I'm sure almost everyone here would love to have their grinning mugs beside a fish like that.

I'm sure the fish doesn't like it... just like it doesn't like the hole in his lip and the panicked struggle for what it believes is it's life.

I'm sure, in this case and in the case of a large % of fly fishers, the fish lived to fight again.

Nice story, great picts...

awe shucks.

Just had time to check out the pics Jeff, Awesome as usual!!!!!! Had to skip 1/2 of the post as it was B.S. Great to see your daughter having a great time.

I think you need to get a new job so you can keep adding the great posts and pics!!!!!

Just had time to check out the pics Jeff, Awesome as usual!!!!!! Had to skip 1/2 of the post as it was B.S. Great to see your daughter having a great time.

I think you need to get a new job so you can keep adding the great posts and pics!!!!!

Cheers dude!!... The patterns We/You created, worked great!....

Cheers...Jeff..