Fly Fusion Forums

Bullshead Weekend With The Boys

reevesr1

Toolman, Missinthebow, and myself met Bloom for our Bullshead trip we purchased during the streamwatch auction. We got a couple of days on the water. The fishing was good. No monsters, but several in the 18-20" range, with the biggest 20.5 I think. Those lake rainbows sure do pull hard, and are as healthy as they can be. Fishing aside, it was just a fantastic time with a great group of guys with plenty of fish, and a lot more laughs.

My wallet is a bit lighter with the several bets I lost. Just as an aside, don't bet any of those guys unless you like giving money away for nothing. I was a bit out of my class, especially when the wind started to blow! Greg won biggest fish on Day 1, Brett won biggest on day 2, and Tim won most on day 2 (which didn't take a lot!). I won first person to fall in the lake. Didn't pay much.

Here are a few shots. Tim and Brett have more I think.

Tim, you did a fantastic job setting this up. Many, many thanks. And many thanks for the flies and box and thanks to Greg for the loop leader pouch! Can't wait to do it again.

Oh, and where are all the trees?

010bv3.jpg

011tc1.jpg

Tim with a Bullshead rainbow (a little murky for underwater, but we tried)

030fz3.jpg

On Golden Pond

040ha8.jpg

Chironomids anyone?

063cb9.jpg

Me releasing a fish:

066mv7.jpg

I have some more, but I have to get off the computer before my wife gets a bit annoyed with posting after a weekend of fishing! Maybe Tim or Brett will post a few.

Thanks again guys!

It sure was a fun flyfishing adventure with some great guys. Tim did a fantastic job as our Host/Guide for the weekend.

Many thanks for your generosity, hospitality and support of the Streamwatch program.

A few more pics...

Bloom...

IMG_1174.jpg

Rick...

StoneflysandHopper026.jpg

Greg...

StoneflysandHopper043.jpg

My new rod...Loop 6120 Signature Series. This stick absolutely rocks!

IMG_1175.jpg

Here are some more: (I posted these before I saw Greg's, so sorry for the double pics)

The first Bullshead fish on a Spey Rod? The King in action:

p6010090ah7.jpg

p6010092fu0.jpg

The Results:

p6010093lr6.jpg

RandyS (nice to meet you Randy) gets in on the action:

p6010094eo8.jpg

Yours truly (who sure is looking old, but still pretty good looking) hooked up:

p6010111wu6.jpg

Me trying to roll cast:

p6010134wz9.jpg

A double header! Greg, are you compensating for something with that big stick? I have to really stretch to make mine look as big.

p6010116wv8.jpg

Now a few fish:

p6010129lt6.jpg

p6010118mi8.jpg

p6010100xa7.jpg

Had a great weekend! Would do that again any day.

Couple pics.

Betting money that this is the first BH trout caught on the spey rod...and definitely wasn't the last

greg.JPG

Double header

double%20header.JPG

When are we doing this again!

Thanks for the great day Tim. Wish I could have made it for Saturday as well, but maybe next time.

I actually didn't take too many pics to post, so I'll just enjoy your's.

Next time we'll have to include a camp fire for sure. It's just not the same if you can't BS around the fire after a day of fishing.

Thanks again guys.

Wow, a bunch of old guys (excluding Tim) crowded around Golden pond trying to catch the big one ... I should have been there with a movie camera..... where's Walter....

Looks like you had fun.

I was stuck at another pond catching chromers on dries. Did you guys see any caddis at BH?

Wow, a bunch of old guys (excluding Tim) crowded around Golden pond trying to catch the big one ... I should have been there with a movie camera..... where's Walter....

Looks like you had fun.

I was stuck at another pond catching chromers on dries. Did you guys see any caddis at BH?

No caddis. And it was fun.

I was there on Sat. as well with 3 friends and the weather was awesome! After a slow start we ended up having a pretty

good day walking around the whole lake. Caught fish on a variety of Leeches and Chronies. No weeds to speak of yet and

the water was clearer than I remember. Seemed to be a lot more smaller fish but we did manage 4 fish at 20"+ and the

average was probably 16"-17" Biggest was taped at 23". Fish were fighting a bit better than I expected for the time of year.

It was a long day but well worth it.

I was there on Sat. as well with 3 friends and the weather was awesome! After a slow start we ended up having a pretty

good day walking around the whole lake. Caught fish on a variety of Leeches and Chronies. No weeds to speak of yet and

the water was clearer than I remember. Seemed to be a lot more smaller fish but we did manage 4 fish at 20"+ and the

average was probably 16"-17" Biggest was taped at 23". Fish were fighting a bit better than I expected for the time of year.

It was a long day but well worth it.

I dont know for sure how big the smaller fish were that you caught but ive noticed that this years stock which are trips seem to be a little me willing to take the fly than the diploids did when first stocked, just wondering if that explains the more smaler fish. if they were in that 10-12" range and strait chrome that would be what they were......that said i cant wait for next year, they have already grown alot scince being stocked and are scrapier than hell!!! Anyway glad to here everybody had a good time.

I dont know for sure how big the smaller fish were that you caught but ive noticed that this years stock which are trips seem to be a little me willing to take the fly than the diploids did when first stocked, just wondering if that explains the more smaler fish. if they were in that 10-12" range and strait chrome that would be what they were......that said i cant wait for next year, they have already grown alot scince being stocked and are scrapier than hell!!! Anyway glad to here everybody had a good time.

Yep, the smaller ones were in the the 10-12" range and nice and bright, trips for sure. You are right they are fiesty! They should provide very good sport for years to come.

Bloom, I'm surprised I didn't bump in to you guys. Were you there on Sat? We started fishing at about 7:45am and worked counter clockwise around the lake returning to the parking lot around 5:00pm.

Anyway, good times.

We tried a few other spots on the South side of the lake, but decided the wind wasn't just worth the battle. Fishing was steady where we started, so we just went back.

Weeds are starting to come up, but not an issue yet. Give it a week and you'll really start to notice them.

I just saw these pic's now. Been too busy fishing.

It was good to meet you fellows also. Nice to put a name to a face. I'm glad you had fun.

I spent the week out at BH and am going out today again. It's been pretty good overall. Not a lot of bigger ones but strong fighting fish. Fun

Rob, way to hijack a thread for the opportunity to brag :lol: Nice fish though, Rusty and I were out there this morning for about 3hrs and caught some nice ones, the birds and fish are both gorging on the big chronies. I'm 0/3 on the 8lb+ fish though, lost number 3 this morning on a jump.

Hey Randy, it sounds like you are having a great week. I'm having a hard time tearing myself away from these silly pond fish to come for a visit

post-25-1212775084.jpg

Hey Randy, it sounds like you are having a great week. I'm having a hard time tearing myself away from these silly pond fish to come for a visit

post-25-1212775084.jpg

Hey, I caught some fish this week that looked just like that.

Only a lot smaller :P