Fly Fusion Forums

A Good Day To Be Alive ...

dryfly

Thanks. I liked the picture too. Took three..they can be tricky since you can't be sure you are getting the fish in the picture--blind shooting. Fish needs to be in sun and water has to be clear. This worked okay. A swell day.

Centered pupils = no stress or DEAD. This one was very alive.

Downturned pupils = stress.

OHHHHHH! NOW I get what you guys were saying about the centered pupils before! :) Guess I better go back and check some of my pics.. :unsure:

Clive I disagree somewhat. I find downlooking fish are better off.

In-water a fish's eyes will be centered especially if you are just releasing it (except some upside down situations).

A dead fish will have centered pupils. :(

Out of water a non stressed fish will look down or sometimes will have centered pupils, but I've personally found they look down more often. I find if I get a fish in fast it looks down, if I take longer its eyes are centered... mind you I leave them in the water (turn 'em upside down) more often than not. Alot of fish that I have stressed out have centered pupils when in hand, Out of the Water... except some that looked down. :huh: On hot days fish seem to have centered pupils.

Maybe it has more to do with disorientation.

I guess what I'm really saying is that there is no real correlation.

:P

Thanks. I liked the picture too. Took three..they can be tricky since you can't be sure you are getting the fish in the picture--blind shooting. Fish needs to be in sun and water has to be clear. This worked okay. A swell day.

hells yea dude, the past few months trying too get decent underwater pics has bin hit and miss. but there clearing up!

Never mind the centered pupils- look at the overall expression on that poor trout's face! "The horror...the horror!"

I see much counselling in his future, or else possibly "suicide by bulltrout".

Shame on you, dryfly! The right thing for you to do now is NEVER fish that area again, and let me know the exact

location, so I can go check on that fish and any others you may have traumatized.

BTW, awesome pic!

Paul .. I am away so can't post images. I assure you that the eyes of totally relax unstressed trout (swimming in a pool) are straight sideways--versus down. Will post images next week. Clive

Clive I disagree somewhat. I find downlooking fish are better off.

In-water a fish's eyes will be centered especially if you are just releasing it (except some upside down situations).

A dead fish will have centered pupils. :(

Out of water a non stressed fish will look down or sometimes will have centered pupils, but I've personally found they look down more often. I find if I get a fish in fast it looks down, if I take longer its eyes are centered... mind you I leave them in the water (turn 'em upside down) more often than not. Alot of fish that I have stressed out have centered pupils when in hand, Out of the Water... except some that looked down. :huh: On hot days fish seem to have centered pupils.

Maybe it has more to do with disorientation.

I guess what I'm really saying is that there is no real correlation.

:P