Fly Fusion Forums

My Work Is Doing A Fly Fishing Event This Summer

Hey everyone,

Every summer my work has a "summer celebration" where our office is closed and everyone takes part in various activities during the day. This year a walk and wade fly fishing event has been included.

The gentleman who is organizing the event has been instructed to go with the "lowest cost provider" and has arranged for a company in Banff to take us out on the upper Bow in the Canmore area. I'm not going to mention the company name in case someone who works for them is on here. :unsure:

The deal they have worked out right now is for a minimum of 12 people and a price of $140/person. Which would include their fishing license and any equipment needed.

To me this looks like a great deal, but I thought I'd check and see what you guys think. As well as check and see if any of the guides on this site might be able to do better?

if it was 2 maybe 3 then I would say its a pretty good deal...... 1 guide for 12 people though I kinda feel would not be enough. I feel he would be to busy riggin rods to actually place 12 people on productive spots let alone teach people to fly fish as well and I would assume your co workers will mainly be newbies right? But on the other hand I am not an authority on the subject..........

if it was 2 maybe 3 then I would say its a pretty good deal...... 1 guide for 12 people though I kinda feel would not be enough. I feel he would be to busy riggin rods to actually place 12 people on productive spots let alone teach people to fly fish as well and I would assume your co workers will mainly be newbies right? But on the other hand I am not an authority on the subject..........

I think they'll be mostly noobs.. but can't say for sure. Out of the 4 of us in my direct group, only 1 hasn't fly fished before.

Anyways I hope I am not seeming too negative a walk and wade on the upper bow will be gourgeous(sp) and you of course do have a good shot at some fish provided everyone can cast half decent. Also there are some stretches that are easier to walk and wade then others and the guide will outdoubtably know the best spots for such a group

I gota say that going with the "lowest cost provider" is usually the WORST possible option.

Typical guide rates for the upper is $480 for a full day for two people in a drift boat. One guide per 3 anglers would be the best otherwise NO ONE gets the attention they deserve. Not many places to put 12 people on shore in close proximity on the upper. $140 pp for a cluster f*** is reasonable ............ for a 'quality experience' it is not.

What date is this ........... so I can stay well away from the piece of river you'll be on.

You can pm me ........... let me know who is doing the trip ...........maybe I can give you some feed back as I guide in the area and know all of the players.

Hey everyone,

Every summer my work has a "summer celebration" where our office is closed and everyone takes part in various activities during the day. This year a walk and wade fly fishing event has been included.

The gentleman who is organizing the event has been instructed to go with the "lowest cost provider" and has arranged for a company in Banff to take us out on the upper Bow in the Canmore area. I'm not going to mention the company name in case someone who works for them is on here. :unsure:

The deal they have worked out right now is for a minimum of 12 people and a price of $140/person. Which would include their fishing license and any equipment needed.

To me this looks like a great deal, but I thought I'd check and see what you guys think. As well as check and see if any of the guides on this site might be able to do better?

230-250 a person would get you a float with one guide per 2 anglers plus a full day of learning and enjoying with a meal and shuttle, etc. You may be able to negotiate a break based on 6 boats..the two experiences are not even comparable for the group you describe.... the walk and wade will have the 'celebration' doing something else next year

Have to agree with Angler and Local. Best to clear up what the expectations are. It all sounds great, fishing the Bow in the Rockies blah, blah, blah... all for the low, low price of...

Just know what you're buying, then you can judge its value in terms of costs, expectations and quality of experience.

Have fun and take pics.