Fly Fusion Forums

Proposed Lake Near Policmans.

i got this on my winshield the other day at policman's.

Do you know there is an application to:

-dig a lake here on the bow rive and to purchase a water license to fill the lake?

Both of these applications have been made to Alberta Environment and they are looking for our comments and concerns by April 18th.

The lake is for the private use of 179 homes in a development calle "Sanctuary on the Bow" right beside policeman's Flats. the water license transfer is from a trout farm whish is closing on the Elbow river. The developer wants to buy a portion of the water to fill this lake.

This development is going to be built if we dont let the goverment know why we don't think this is a good place for a lake and a good use for our river water. The lake is only 100 meters from the Bow River in a floodway. Does this make sense?

Please write to Alberta Environment before April 18th to let them know your thoughts about these two applications. If we don't speak up about how our river is being treated it won't be long before we won't have a beautiful river to speak about.

The site to review the appications is

http://www3.gov.ab.ca/env/water/Regions/Bo...les/index1.html

Alberta Environment contact is Pauline Scoffield at 297 5894

email pauline.scoffield@gov.ab.ca

The contact for the Developer is Dennis Westhoff at 264 9366

Please let Alberta Environment know what you think.

Without your comments this development will be completed and the river valley forever changed.

Water rights would be from Bob Allen's trout farm on Lott Creek. He has so much ground water flow he dosen't need to transfer water from the Elbow. Therefore he is able to sell his transfer rights to someone else. I bet water is pretty expensive...

Ha, it'll flood with in a few years of being built. The once and a hundred year floods we've got every five years will strike again and blow it all out.

I suppose it'll be bad for the river, but there's a lot of stuff in the bow that isn't exactly good for it.

Guest Sundancefisher

Can't see what the problem is given where things are at now. From a development perspective and all NIMBY aside what actual problem is there to the river? Most likely water withdrawal would be allowed during a suitable flow period. Farms use way more. This would be one time only with potential for top ups. As for flooding...that is damage they will have to deal with. As for release of stocked fish, the government mandates use of fish for stocking purposes and the rules should be followed. That being said Elbow Springs Golf Course has fish stocking within a flood zone and nobody has stopped them. To punish one we must be consistent with all.

What is your exact concern(s).

Thanks.

Sun

The proximity to the Bow is of concern. Once the "lakes" are opened, they are never maintained. Most become "sloughy" and cannot support the trout that are originally stocked ( look at the one's west on hwy 8 ). Those who reside there think

their great when they buy, but, when it comes to maintaining them as a community, most will not pay for upkeep.

Once this happens; the wise people who reside there plant garbage fish. Pike/Perch can live in minimal waters and their kids can get out the worms.

After this, the wise residents begin to plant the garbage fish in productive waters ( the Bow ) in hopes that they will grow big and still be easy to catch. NOT !!! The only thing that happens, is that they displace the trout. This is happening all over BC and a perfect example is Gardom Lake, outside Salmon Arm. Who is doing this? The local population/sportsman.

NOT !!! Simply put, some well heeled Albertan's ( I live here but I'm far from rich ) who only care for themselves.

I for one will be writing to the government employee and I thank you (bigbadbrown) for bringing this to light. If there is a

date for a public hearing, please post it.

I'd encourage all the members to voice their negative opinion to the government.

Cheers

The proximity to the Bow is of concern. Once the "lakes" are opened, they are never maintained. Most become "sloughy" and cannot support the trout that are originally stocked ( look at the one's west on hwy 8 ). Those who reside there think

their great when they buy, but, when it comes to maintaining them as a community, most will not pay for upkeep.

Once this happens; the wise people who reside there plant garbage fish. Pike/Perch can live in minimal waters and their kids can get out the worms.

After this, the wise residents begin to plant the garbage fish in productive waters ( the Bow ) in hopes that they will grow big and still be easy to catch. NOT !!! The only thing that happens, is that they displace the trout. This is happening all over BC and a perfect example is Gardom Lake, outside Salmon Arm. Who is doing this? The local population/sportsman.

NOT !!! Simply put, some well heeled Albertan's ( I live here but I'm far from rich ) who only care for themselves.

Pike and perch are native in the Bow River and it wouldn't be an issue if they were dumped (from an ecological standpoint, not legal). And further, they are not garbage fish, period. Plus "sloughs" (better called prairie pothole lakes or imortant wetlands) are a natural and very valuble feature of our landscape.

I'm not for any hard developments in the 1:100 year floodplain. The application to fill the lake is likely a temporary diversion request to capture natural runoff from the area and hold it back from reaching the lake. Probably not a issue from water a quantity viewpoint. Also having waterbodies is great for wildlife, the watertable, and the surrounding environment in general...

Of course this one will probably be catching storm runoff, will concentrate toxic chemicals (contaminating ducks and wildlife), will lose water to evaporation, and won't be used by anything natural except waterfowl.

Better to have a marsh complex to manage the changed hydrology from paving everything, then the water is better filtered before reching the Bow- plus you can have a better trail and lots of cool stuff like dragonflies and more birds besides ducks. It would alos reduce the evaporation, and the larger area required (to handle the stormwater), would provide more habitat and decrease the number of houses in the development.

Guest Sundancefisher

I for one will be writing to the government employee and I thank you (bigbadbrown) for bringing this to light. If there is a

date for a public hearing, please post it.

I'd encourage all the members to voice their negative opinion to the government.

Cheers

I understand the concern. However in specifc reference to Pike and Perch they are already in the Bow system therefore would not be new. The smart well heeled guys are not the ones putting perch and pike into lakes. These people are simply environmental terrorists. Only an idiot would put perch and pike in the new lake but sadly there are idiots but it seems a couple of kids about 9 years ago were the cause of Midnapore and Sundance Lake problems. I can not necessarily say that looking at the demographics from personal observation that well off people do not like fishing for perch and pike but I see many guys flyfishing. However, hopefully people will learn. Many similar type lakes in Calgary are not sloughy and are actually awesome for a higher quality of life.

For the lake management (private lake), there is most likely a caveat on title that says people have to pay lake and community fees for upkeep and maintenance regardless of use. If they do not pay then options include the courts etc. but usually fees and interest build up and when the house is sold the debt always gets paid first.

If you are referring to the lakes west of Elbow Springs Golf Course, they had great plans but they did not get a fish stocking permit prior to the creation of the lakes. My understanding they were turned down (why is a question since the golf course can still stock). Anyone know if these new lakes even applied for a permit? Most likely if they have not they will not be granted one if it is within the flood zone.

I know that in at least Chaparral and Mackenzie (and I am sure Midnapore, Sundance, etc.) you have to pay your lake fees. It is mandatory whether you use the lake or not. There is no way that wouldn't be the case for any new development. I think all these lakes were filled from the Bow, correct? However, I am certainly not qualified to guess what the environmental impact of this type of lake would be.

From a selfish standpoint, I certainly do not like the idea of a development at Policeman's any more than I like the new Chaparral Valley. Thats the fisherman in me talking.

The homeowner/taxpayer in me thinks it is amazingly short sighted to build in a flood plain. Like building houses on barrier islands in the Gulf of Mexico, it is guaranteed that these houses will flood at some point. And when that happens, the province will be asked to help with this "unforeseen disaster." And it probably will.