Fly Fusion Forums

Drowning Your Rods And Reels

I've noticed in many of the photo posts that people have very expensive reels and rods (in the hundreds and hundreds of dollars) in their catch photos sitting in the river getting soaking wet. I for one try not to dunk my expensive equipment in the water as it could get dirt and other nasties that would damage and or ruin their performance and let alone the looks. How many of the members here do the same as I do and not allow their rigs to get soaking wet how many just let them go for a swim and worry about the problems later?

My reels have often gone for a swim, but it is usually due to my clumsiness. I always take them apart and clean and lube them a couple of times a year. To date I have never has a reel fail, but saltwater is another issue. Unless you have sealed bearings you really need to pay attention to maintenance after every trip. Even with sealed bearings you need to keep them maintained, salt is intrusive and subtle.

I've never worried about getting the gear wet. It happens a lot when I'm in a tube or pontoon. Like Kerry mentioned, a bit of mainteneance should keep everything working well. I did have one cheap reel get some dirt inside the click, but it wasn't sealed at all. I just cleaned out the reel and re applied some lube. Works like new now.

everything gets the dunkaroo for me... i clean all my gear regularly tho........... i dont think it wears down much.. it takes time too soak up water into the cork and everything else is prettymuch sealed....... reels are fine too getting wet.. only real worries would be backing... i could see after several years and a few hundred dunks too your backing might start to weaken enough too worry for trout..........

I would have to say that one of the reasons I buy good gear is because I expect it to get wet. Some routine maintenance once in a while is all that should be needed to keep good gear in top form. How much water gets in your reel when you are fishing in the winter and there is ice on your line? Good gear is meant to handle being soaked, as long as you put it away clean and dry it will be fine.

SnaG05

Guest bigbadbrent

backing will rot, and quicker then most would expect if you keep dunking it, and then keeping it in the back of your car or somewhere toasty.

Next time you have all your line off for a clean, smell your backing, if it smells bad, its rotting, and time to be replaced

All gear requires care and maintenance. I probably use my most expensive gear the most, and I'm not particularly gentle with it. But I do take care of it. My Islander IR-3 has seen almost 400 days of use and abuse and has never caused me problems. One time I did get some sand in the works, but 5 minutes with a toothbrush and some grease and all the grit was cleaned out.

Using your gear hard is not a problem, as long as you clean and take care of it on a regular basis it will continue to give you great service.

Guest bigbadbrent
Using your GOOD gear hard is not a problem, as long as you clean and take care of it on a regular basis it will continue to give you great service.

corrected

Guys/Gals,

If your rod is completely made of synthetics, getting it wet may not harm it a lot. However, if you have a cork handle, wood insert, or other organic products in the rod, soaking will cause rot and failure. In the case of reel seat finishes - maybe a trip or 2 and it peels off.

Reels are another touchy one. Simple click/pawl reels using bushings rather than bearings - a wipe to clear the water & grunge + some decent reel grease will suffice. For the others ustilizing bearings, cork or synthetic drags, you best clean and dry them well. Sealed bearings help a little but are not a total cure.

Dunking ain't good!!

Don

My gear regularly gets a soaking in the rivers but as everyone says, once or twice a season give it a damn good clean and lubrication. Getting the cork wet is different, my rods are brought in and taken out the bag and left to dry naturally.

Smelly, rotting backing? I would not have thought this would have applied to today's modern synthetics but I will have a sniff and find out. :P

Mine various rods and reels for a dip quite regularly. but again like others I have a regular maintenance program for my equipment. Humm maybe I should write an article.

Or at least repost that excellent one you wrote before.

Guest bigbadbrent

gotta say that the only time i regret dunking a reel, is during the winter (etc yesterday) and then they freeze on you, and your day is over