Fly Fusion Forums

Online Disclosure Of Fishing Holes

Hello;

I must first start by saying I have never fished the Bow and would very much enjoy the experience, I have however been introduced to to several central and southern rivers and creeks and have had some goodmemories.

This thread is to address the amount of fishing location information that is being distributed on a international web site. I also have thought on some days on what I consider my home waters "were have alll the people come from??" I watch folks drive from Edmonton to fish the dam just to be skunked and trying to figure out what to do and use on web sites like this.

I noticed a thread that was trying to organize a group trip in southern alberta. What are you guys thinking? In a short time you will be standing at your favorite secret spot and will bitch and complain about all the garbage on the bank, the quads, the bait chuckers etc.

A tip exchange phone numbers and plan yer trips in private

JUST A TIP !!!! Ive seen it happen on the Red Deer and thank god for the flood it has scared a lot of blabber mouths away.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bigbadbrent
What are you guys thinking? In a short time you will be standing at your favorite secret spot and will bitch and complain about all the garbage on the bank, the quads, the bait chuckers etc.

already happenin

We all talk about going to the Crow and the Bow here and elsewhere. They are no more crowded because of that. I fish the Crow a lot and it is not busier now than ten years ago...you just pick your times to go and avoid other times. BUT .... most of us who brag about going to the Crow or elsewhere never speak of the other places we fish. I fish at least half of the time on other waters I'd never mention anywhere. So the publicity is selective. (You put a pail of manure on the porch ... it keeps the flies out of the kitchen.)

"I noticed a thread that was trying to organize a group trip in southern Alberta." Geez..if a bunch of guys (who fish southern Alberta a few times a year anyway) decide to get together and fish together in the same time and space once a year that's just fine ... have some laffs and beers. Heck of a good plan.

I fished below the dam today. Fishing was slow, but I hung a good rainbow, some rockies and unhooked a small bull. And anyone who cares, knows exactly where I am talking about. Been going there for 15 years. And just like all of the other times we saw no one where we were.

Ya, what can you do....I have a favorite place an will never mention it on a public forum. It's not that it's not well known and I have mentioned it before, but, not again. As you said, the beer cans, plastic bags, scented worm packages and general refuse of humanity will make me limit my sharing of knowledge.

Hello;

I also have thought on some days on what I consider my home waters "were have alll the people come from??" I watch folks drive from Edmonton to fish the dam just to be skunked and trying to figure out what to do and use on web sites like this.

So if a guy is coming from Edmonton to fish the dam wouldn't that make one less angler in Edmonton? Or does an angler leave southern Alberta to fish northern Alberta at the same time? The angler distribution is dynamic. There will be times where every Tom, Dick and Harry will be fishing "your" home waters. The number of fisherman in this province has deceased over the last couple of decades. I would say things have thinned out if anything, at least in the northern half.

Your "home" waters are also my home waters. Be careful how you use that term, were not talking about BC here you know. And yes I'm from Edmonton. ;)

Hey Clive,

What do you know? Why don't you go and write another book or something!!

Mudflap,

No disrespect at all intended, but I almost completely reject your argument. First of all, other than fish creek, most fishing spots are given in generalities, or outright deception. I've only been here for a year, and even I know when to keep my mouth shut about location.

As to the get together down south, I know of at least one fishing club that has a fishout down south every year. Seems to be a few fish left down there.

I have a question for you. If a group of people are passionate about an activity, why shouldn't we want to share it? I LOVE bringing new people into the sport. I can think of no better way to share my passion. If I have to walk a bit further to find fish, so freakin be it!

In closing, I don't think you really have to worry about this International website brining in hordes of Euro's or Merkan's to ruin your spot. I think you may overestimate our influence.

In closing, I don't think you really have to worry about this International website brining in hordes of Euro's

that was what i thought until i ran across a group of seven from scotland on the carb who heard about it from this site...

"Thank goodness for the flood on the red deer cuz it scared all the blabber mouths away?"-Mudflap

Soooooooo what your saying is the red deer is still an awesome fishery!!!!! SWEEEEEET!!!!!!!!! I'll be there opening day ! Trophy brown here i come!! Why go 2.5hrs south when red deers only 2hrs north? IMOHO :rolleyes:

DBT,

I know you fish down south a lot. Is that the first time you've run into toutists? While they may have read about the quality of the fishing from this site, I doubt rhat it was the only, or even primary, research tool they used.

When I decided to go fly fishing in south texas, I googled "fly fishing souh texas" and was able to learn some pretty specific stuff that helped my fishing immensely. But I was going whether I got help on the web or not.

I think it is a great thing that some scots used this website to enhance their experience. But I think its a stretch to believe this website brought them here.

You bet trout lover come on up;

Lets meet and you can tell me were to launch my 20' 350 Outlaw Boat on the Bow, there's a lot of water to cover on what I read here and it will be cool to cruise to each of the spots, heck I could do a few time trials and get my carberators just set nice. I'll post pictures and describe each spot that produced. Hell I'll get a nice topo map mark up the holes and post for all .. or better yet I'll bring the Garman out and set some coords. ................... ;)

I don't think this site has the huge influence that is suggested. Out of the dozen or so guys I fish with around Sundre I am the only one who follows this site.

I think the site is part of larger media promotion. Take a look how many magazines, videos and books are out there. Have you noticed how many articles are appearing in magazines promoting AB.? How many of you attended the fly show in Jan.? A lot of promotion going on there. I have a lot of respect for our fly shop owners, guides/writers. I have enjoyed reading their material, viewing their videos and web sites and chatting with them. But are they not promoting the h--- out of fishing AB.? And so should they -they would not be a successfull businessman if they did not.

I think one of the biggest problems in increasing fishing pressure is the increased access roads and the increasing population of AB. If you have ever read some of Kevin van Tiegham's articles or chatted with Barry Mitchell you will hear what it used to be like to get into some of the foothill streams. All day hikes or vehicle smashing 4x4 roads. A lot of those same places now you can drive to with a car or tow an RV to.

Honestly do any us of really believe we have a secret spot? Just when I think I have walked far enough I will see a footprint or some sign of garbage from earlier visitors.

I think it was Wulff who said a stream without friends is a stream in danger. If my secret little stream has no one interested in it or fishing it who is to stop the gov't or industry from wrecking it.

My solution is to promote the h--- out of the great golf courses we have around Sundre. My wife sells real estate anyone interested in a great RV lot at Coyote Ck Golf Course? I have also been known to tell great bear stories to strangers I meet on my "home" waters.

Hey mudflap read the jet boat post i have no problem with them in fact it is the only way to fish stergeon on the south saskatchewan as for time trials there is a time and place for them the bow is not one of thoese times or places the bow is for fishin.( choose your mode of transport i prefer to walk ) and as for all the spots, i know a few and im always willing to share so let me know when your in town.Later Jared.

P.S.-Mike from sundre is bang on.

I happen to be able to equallly divide my time for both kinds of hooking ( fishing and golfing, not the third kind) and raise 3 daughters and say hello to my wife now and then. To really avoid crowds on the bow floating is required. Although I have seen upwards of 30 various watercraft in one day you can always keep moving till you find solitude. As far as sharing, I am always trying to introduce new friends to the sport as you can never have enough fishin buddies. However only 1 has shown enough commitment ($$$) to start over the past 5 years. Last week I opened my season north of glenmore, there I stood, dodging ice coffee tables, in the water 20 minutes after leaving home before anyone was awake, sun shining, my office visible in the near distance and landed 8 in an hour ( albeit a few whities in the count) and thought I was just livin the dream...btw Mike, heading to Sundre for Easter at the in-laws...shoud I bring my gear?...lol....sk.

Guest bigbadbrent

I'm slowly losing my father to golf, the golf to fishing ratio in the summer is definitly leaning to the golf side more and more each summer

wasn't this originally a thread about hole disclosure? :lol:

My reply was about the thread -stream disclosure. My point was this board is only a small piece in a larger media disclosure of streams in AB. Magazines, videos, guides, shops, word of mouth are all contributing to promoting AB fishing. I remember hearing Ian Tyson talking with a small group at a little reception years ago. He was concerned that with his promotion of the cowboy way he was contributing to the distruction of the cowboy life by encouraging people to move to the western life. While people are being encouraged to come to AB to fish is that a bad thing? Remember the effort that guys like Don Anderson and Barry Mitchell have made on streams like Stauffer and getting regs changed? By doing so they have drawn attention to certain fishing spots and yet those spots are now better fisheries and are better protected. And can any one of us claim to have a secret spot? My comment about the golfing was just a joke.

doctork bring your gear, but it had better be golf gear. The streams around here are still closed until April 1.