Fly Fusion Forums

Vises

sirocco

Pedestal or C-Clamp?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer and why?

• Pedestal
    • C-Clamp

I tied with C-clamp vises for 15 years, then spent the last 20 using pedastals.

There is some small differences, but little when it comes to actual fly construction. On rare occasion tying a really big fly you may crank down hard enough to actually get the vise to move a bit, but that's more the exception than the rule.

I switched to pedastals originally because I had a tying desk with a drawer in the center (under the tabletop). The C-clamp vises prevent you from accessing it - the pedastals will allow unfettered access to anything.

Pedastal vises seem to travel better - meaning, you don't have to worry about how thick the park bench or motel room table is - or whether you'll mar the surface. Plunk the pedastal down and forget about it.

On the whole there is little difference save the height the vise jaws can attain. C-Clamp vises usually allow the jaws higher because of the longer rod, pedastal vises are a fixed height. If you're a big fellow, that may be an issue.

I think you'll like both styles.

I tie with both but the pedestal set-up is by far the easiest and most versatile...perhaps the tier that uses all the hollow hairs and needs to really clamp down might find the stability a bit off.

My lady used to scream at me when I would clamp down the vice to the antique table...crap it's only an old old table!!??

C

Prior to buying a Peak last year I had always been a C clamp tyer, the Peak came with both C clamp and pedestal but I have used it solely on the pedestal as it is stable and can be moved out of the way without any hassle.

Tying off a pedestal vice gives you much more freedom as you can move the vice to any position to aid the tying.

C-clamp is preferred because it doesn't move on me. Actually my Mongoose came with both the pedestal base and the c-Clamp, and I only use the pedestal when I can't clamp onto a table top. I like the added height adjustment you gain with the c=clamp. The pedestal only allows for a fixed height.

C-clamp is preferred because it doesn't move on me. Actually my Mongoose came with both the pedestal base and the c-Clamp, and I only use the pedestal when I can't clamp onto a table top. I like the added height adjustment you gain with the c=clamp. The pedestal only allows for a fixed height.

I agree Darren. The added height adjustment is very important to me. I find if I use the pedestal my arms gets tired since the vise is at a higher position then if I have it clamped to my table. The c-clamp also allows for a trash bag to be placed beneath the vise. Not sure if this is possible when on a pedestal.

For 20 years or more I tied with a clamp type vice. Then one day I found a pedestal base for sale and thought that might be nice for when I travel. I bought it and tried it at home. Since then I don't think I've used the clamp even once.

The benifit to the pedestal is obvious. Mobility. You never have to worry about having a table to clamp to. You don't have to worry even if there is a table or not. Or if your going to mark up a table. I can tie where ever I want.

I don't think I'll ever tie with a clamp on my vice again.

Rob

Wow, it's a close poll!

A question for you pedestal tiers: Have you ever had issues spinning deer hair? I will be tying a lot of big deer hair streamers and will be cranking down on them a good deal, so I'm concerned that the pedestal base might move on me.

Wow, it's a close poll!

A question for you pedestal tiers: Have you ever had issues spinning deer hair? I will be tying a lot of big deer hair streamers and will be cranking down on them a good deal, so I'm concerned that the pedestal base might move on me.

You could always clamp it down :P

I have had the pedestal move on me a couple times while doing work like that, but you can always hold it down when you're applying pressure.

Wow, it's a close poll!

When spinning deer hair, use belly hair, then you dont have to crank quite so hard, apperently (from what Chris AKA wetduck and dave at fishtales tells me) is is hollower and spins better, and boy it does, went from just barely able to spin to making some decent heads in 1 purchase.

I've had a c-clamp vice since the start of my tying. Which has been 15 years. If I can't find a table to fit, I just use the table in the tent trailer. That solves most problems on the road. I think its a solid fit. I haven't used a padestal base so I do not know all the facts but I'm sure it works as well. :P

Tight lines..... B)

Been to a couple places where the picnic table tops were too thick for my regal clamp vise. But after getting a Peak vise (which came with both pedestal and clamp), I use the pedestal exclusively. The pedestal just seems more versatile. Height hasn't been an issue, as I always use the height extension for the Peak. I also prefer having the material cut-offs on the desk instead of my lap... haven't gotten around to getting one of those under desk garbage bag things.

As far as spinning deer hair, the pedestal poses no problem - the thread would break long before the pedestal would move.

Currently I use a pedestal base because that is what the vise came with. It is a suction base so does not rely on weight but you do need a smooth surface. I have also used a clamp base for many years and see advantages for having both.

IMGP0934.jpg

Height is not an issue as it is designed to lower or raise the jaws to suit any seating height you may have