Fly Fusion Forums

Foul Hooking Fish

j5ep00

today for the first time ever i foul hooked 2 fish. on above to dorsel fin and one closer to the tail.

one of the fish was on the top fly a size 16 and the one that i got in the tail was on a 18 brassie.

i dont know if im doing something wrong. im not to sure if im setting to late? or if its just fluke.

chris

Guest bigbadbrent
its not a big deal unless your pulling a 20"+ brown upstream but its tail lol

wait till you have a really really pissed off 24" rainbow who's foulhooked run on you, while you've grabbed a sanjuan..it's quite the piercing

• 3 weeks later...
I got you all beat. I hooked a 25 pound spring in the dorsal fin with a croc while fishing for bulls when I was a kid with a dinky spinning rod. I landed the SOB too. Ahhhh the dark ages :lol:

Hello Everyone,

I've been a lurker for a few weeks but had to respond to this subject.

Just recently while running a fishing business in Negril Jamaica one of my clients onboard foul hooked a 175 lb. blue marlin on the pectoral fin on 30 lb test and it died 2 hours into the fight. I had to plane the fish up for 1.5 hours just to get it to the surface where we could get it on board the boat.

P.S. We donated that fish and fed approx 30 Negril Beach families.

jeebus captrob that would be a hella of a sight

max whats the biggest thing you ever foul hooked ;)

freakin beaver meng... right in the face.............. no jokes..... finally wandered up on shore and i gave it some slack and he popped the barbless right out......... was unreal...

bigbadbrown... setting your flies to close together can be a problem too.. i try and keep em 14 inches -16 inches of tippet between flies.... but like others mentioned.. there could be a numebr of different reasons..

I had a friend snag a duck in the arse when it went for his hook. It actually flew up in the air and he reeled it in like a kite. I am laughing so hard right now visualizing this memory.....Long story short, he reeled in his Mallard and live released it.

I had a friend snag a duck in the arse when it went for his hook. It actually flew up in the air and he reeled it in like a kite. I am laughing so hard right now visualizing this memory.....Long story short, he reeled in his Mallard and live released it.

reminds me of gull kites

• 2 weeks later...

Ah...I have a great story about a comical French guy catching a BAT! Unfortunately we were all spread out fishing around a lake in France in total darkness. I was on crutches with a cast on my leg, none of us had a torch (flashlight) and Olivier (the comical French guy, CFG) had never fished before. The guy that was fishing with him was trying to remove a hook from a fish in complete darkness while CFG was ranting about "Keveeeen, I have caught something...I don't know what it is!". Advised to "put it back in the water" while Kevin continued to try and release his fish, CFG's "fish" was slapped back into the water...several times! Eventually, real fish safely released, Kevin turned his attention to CFG's...but the expected gravitational effect of lifting the rod so that the fish swung towards them didn't work!

On relating this sorry tale CFG said "...and when my fish started fling a little....!"

Eventually the bat shook the hook. I'm not sure if it would have counted as catch & release?

Funny stories guys, my buddy foul-hooked a 5-pound, eye-less pike out of Swift Current Creek when we were young. I had a female mallard try and eat my elkhair caddis two years ago. It was while I was daydreaming so I didn't realize it until I felt the tug and heard the thing go beserk. It was sad, couldn't even see the fly barely so I had to ct the line at the mouth. Her friends were all quacking at me and *hit when I was reeling her in. Hilarious but sad in the same way.

Foul hookin just happens sometimes. Most of mine come when they spit fly #1 and end up hooked in the butt on #2. Makes 'em fight a lot harder!! :blink::blink::blink::blink:

You just described exactly what happened to me on Wednesday. Indicator dropped and I must have waited a split second too long to set so my bottom fly hooked him in the butt. Was only about 16" but fought like a real bastard...