Fly Fusion Forums

Baetis Contest

bulltrout

this will be the last contest before the KOTV tourney so get in on this one if you haven't gotten in on one yet cuz only those who have entered into the contests will be eligible for the KOTV tourney...this contest is Baetis (BWO) Patterns...patterns can represent any life cycle...pics and recipes in by Wednesday, March 12 at 10 PM MST...have fun!!!

Here's a BWO pattern I designed for a Wally Wing swap in 2006. Haven't done the field testing on it yet, but I think it'll do ok. Terry

BWO-04.jpg

Recipe for Wally Wing BWO

Hook: Mustad R30 #18

Thread: 8/0 Olive Dun

Tail: Moose Hair

Dubbing: Wapsi Dry Fly BWO

Hackle: Blue Dun

Wally Wing: Hungarian Partridge

(see http://www.telusplanet.net/public/whlutz/wallywing.html for the Wally Wing method).

Nice tie Terry, Fly Fisherman mag. has a similar pattern this month, but they tie the wing the other way....I was thinking it would look better the way you did it...and it sure does.

Intersting -- I hadn't seen the Fly Fisherman article, but I just looked at it on their website, and what they did was similar to the Wally wing method, but not quite the same. The neat thing about the WW method is that both wings are done from one feather, and although I suppose you could tie it in with the rib at the back, as in the FF article, it works best the other way. Although the Wally wing method takes a bit of practise, I think it's probably easier than the method in the FF Mag article. Anyway, thanks for posting the reference to FF mag. Terry

this is my version of a dolled up PT emerger that i use around this time of year...

IMGP2004.jpg

Hook: TMC 2457 #12-22

Bead: 3/32 Gold Tungsten

Thread: 8/0 Black

Tail: Pheasant Tail Fibers

Abdomen: Pheasant Tail Fibers

Rib: Dubbed Rope of Olive Brown Ice Dub

Thorax: Peacock Herl

Wingcase: Thick Ball of Light Gray Antron Dubbing Pulled Over Thorax

Only BWO I carry in my box..

Baetis006.jpg

Hook: 16-small as I can

Thread: Olive 8/0

Tails: 4 split micro mayfly tails

Body: Turkey Biot (showing rib)

Thorax: Olive Ice Dub

Hackle: Dun (cut flat on bottom allowing it to ride lower)

Well I am almost embarrased by the simplicity and ease of this pattern, but I am going to enter it becuase of it's effectiveness.

BWO%20emerger%20FFC.jpg

BWO nymph / emerger

Hook: Daiichi #1130 size 16-20

Tail: Mallard Flank

Thorax: White calf tail

Body: built up thread

Fish under your BWO dry on about 2 feet of 5 or 6x, and watch this little puppy do it's wonders when you can't get fish to rise to your BWO dry pattern.

Only BWO I carry in my box..

Baetis006.jpg

Hook: 16-small as I can

Tails: 4 split micro mayfly tails

Body: Turkey Biot (showing rib)

Thorax: Olive Ice Dub

Hackle: Dun (cut flat on bottom allowing it to ride lower)

That is also the only BWO I carry with one adjustment. I use natural colored biot with a layer of olive tying thread beneath. Once the biot gets wet it will get translucent.

Rob

Here is a great little fly of mine I have had luck with. I have a few Baetis nymph patterns that work really well but this is the one I use a lot. Named by Toolman.

Doc's October Baetis

Here's the pattern.

HOOK: 16 - 18

THREAD: Uni-Thread flat olive

TAIL: long Dun microfibettes (1.5 times body)

BODY: olive thread

RIB: Fine brass Wire

WING CASE: Olive turkey bidot tied hump style (fuzz outward)

THORAX: My own mix, brown and olive green mix dubbing with a bit antron glitter very spikey

LEGS: Light Partridge white or dark barred tucked

ll-beteus.jpg

llbeates.jpg

bump...last call for patterns...if you haven't entered any contests yet but want to be in the year end King Of The Vise tournament, you better get an entry into this one cuz this is your last chance...after this contest closes (10PM), i begin the organization of the tourney... :)