Fly Fusion Forums

Why We Need Stream Watch

dryfly

First, this post should not have been done with the insinuation (sp) that the location was BHR without confirmation by an official. It's simply too touchy. While this may take time to do, it clarifies everything and allows people to vent, yes, but moreover it allows people to take action to ensure this kind of thing is addressed properly and action taken to curtail this from happening in the future. ....................

WTF?? What body of water in the Medicine Hat area has a 53 fish possession limit? What body of water in the Medicine Hat area has the size of fish shown in the photo? Furthermore, who give a _(insert favourite 4 letter word here) _ what body of water it was? For anyone to have a collection of fish like that in their possession is an absolute outrage, and rather than shooting them in the knee cap as has been suggested, I'd aim a little higher and to the right for the first shot, and then a bit to the left for the next.

Terry

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rocknbugs
WTF?? What body of water in the Medicine Hat area has a 53 fish possession limit? What body of water in the Medicine Hat area has the size of fish shown in the photo? Furthermore, who give a _(insert favourite 4 letter word here) _ what body of water it was? For anyone to have a collection of fish like that in their possession is an absolute outrage, and rather than shooting them in the knee cap as has been suggested, I'd aim a little higher and to the right for the first shot, and then a bit to the left for the next.

Terry

Word!

Who gives a ____ what body of water?

Well, because the general public still perpetuates "as long as it don't happen in my back yard" in their own way. This board is certainly not immune. Why else did it take 5 or 6 years to follow the lead on SW? (Congrats on that, btw, it's a great thing.) This ain't an attack about that, I'm just pointing out that our waters are only going to be preserved one step at a time, one water at a time, that folks still would rather bitch about generalities than get involved, and that if someone has a heart felt passion for the water that the offense occurred on, then this kind of thing could spur that person into action. Not determining the water's name leaves things too much in the air to speculation, allowing us a psychological out to taking action. Otherwise, we'll end up watching folks simply bitch on internet forums rather than actually doing something. Hence my statement about getting away from generalities. Far too many people speak of generalities as a cushion to doing something - naming the water body spurs passionate people into action. I don't know if you get my point or can see my perspective. I'm not intending to lambaste Clive for posting this - it's good to have attention given. Where it fell short is giving good information so that it falls into a possible action for someone who loves BHR, rather than falling into "just another bloody infraction" department like so many other times on these forums.

Now I am the last person you should ever accuse of racism, but WONG isn't a Canadian name. And from what I've seen on the BC coast. That type of last name is responsible for the complete destruction of crab, shellfish and cod populations anywhere near an accessible coastline.

Personal opinion. Don't play the racist card with me, OK?

Tako, I don't want to start a racist flame war, but you are so wrong here. My name is not disimillar from Wong, I might even be of that same ethnicity but guess what, my passport says I'm Canadian and since I was born here I would hope you would consider me Canadian. I know its a dead horse but I'll beat it anyways, every single poacher I've ever seen on the Bow (haven't spent much time on the BC coast so I can't opine) has been what you would deem "Canadian" that is not Asian. I just want you to know that there are some non-fish whacking "wong" types out there. Where's Rich?? I think he's more Wong than I am! :lol:

Who gives a ____ what body of water?

Well, because the general public still perpetuates "as long as it don't happen in my back yard" in their own way. This board is certainly not immune. Why else did it take 5 or 6 years to follow the lead on SW? (Congrats on that, btw, it's a great thing.) This ain't an attack about that, I'm just pointing out that our waters are only going to be preserved one step at a time, one water at a time, that folks still would rather bitch about generalities than get involved, and that if someone has a heart felt passion for the water that the offense occurred on, then this kind of thing could spur that person into action. Not determining the water's name leaves things too much in the air to speculation, allowing us a psychological out to taking action. Otherwise, we'll end up watching folks simply bitch on internet forums rather than actually doing something. Hence my statement about getting away from generalities. Far too many people speak of generalities as a cushion to doing something - naming the water body spurs passionate people into action. I don't know if you get my point or can see my perspective. I'm not intending to lambaste Clive for posting this - it's good to have attention given. Where it fell short is giving good information so that it falls into a possible action for someone who loves BHR, rather than falling into "just another bloody infraction" department like so many other times on these forums.

I get your point. Thanks for posting.

Greg

Tako, I don't want to start a racist flame war, but you are so wrong here. My name is not disimillar from Wong, I might even be of that same ethnicity but guess what, my passport says I'm Canadian and since I was born here I would hope you would consider me Canadian. I know its a dead horse but I'll beat it anyways, every single poacher I've ever seen on the Bow (haven't spent much time on the BC coast so I can't opine) has been what you would deem "Canadian" that is not Asian. I just want you to know that there are some non-fish whacking "wong" types out there. Where's Rich?? I think he's more Wong than I am! :lol:

Like I said, I was more directing my comments at the newly arrived, who don't give a flying fish WHAT our regulations are, and have no desire to learn about them. It's a mega problem.

I realize the guy could be second third fourth .... generation Canadian. That is not the point I was making. From what I have seen, anyone who will deliberately kill that many fish cannot be familiar with our rules. How is that hard to comprehend?

But oh right, I can't call it a squawfish anymore without being a f*cking racist!!!! :rolleyes:

It's hard to not generalize about this issue, but it is wrong (wong??). I too have been accused of the racist card after I busted up 5 Vietnamese last summer...They where wacking and stacking at Jensens, I took pictures and reported it.(Also offered to boot **** the lot of them ) ..I also see a lot of "White Trash-Smelt Thumpers" wacking & Stacking...I am of the older generation, mid 40's, who laughed our asses off to Blazing Saddles & Archie Bunker etc..Both shows which could not be made in these oh so sensitive times...Poachers need to be confronted, harrased, fined and generally told to **** off...NOT IN MY BACKYARD!!!!!!!!!!!!! ..James

for once, i actually agree with you.

i do understand what Tako is attempting to say, and that would be cultural differences between which were acceptable in the country that someone may have recently emmigrated from to feed family or make some money because the resources of the land is all that you may have had in a 2nd or 3rd world country are not acceptable here. it's not like the Canadian government says, Welcome to Canada, here's your copy of the Criminal Code and fishing regulations, go forth and prosper. think it is more like "NEXT"

just as i (or any of us) would have difficulty moving to another country, may or may not speak the language and have to make something of yourself. what may be acceptable here (cattle raising for beef products for instance) is probably not highly regarded in India or maybe opening a brewery in the middle east, might not be the best plan since alcohol is illegal in some countries, but not necessarily something that readily jumps to mind. hey they wanted to behead the school teacher for letting the kids call the teddy bear Mohammed. we think AND... :blink: what's the problem? the residents of the country thought - YOU discraced our GOD, you should burn in hell. Thankfully for her, the government just deported her.

although, one would hope that after the first offence, the guilty party would understand that sort of behaviour is not acceptable. but after reading through the list of charges and conviction, there are a few (of all races) who just didn't get it the first time. i find that sad and disturbing that there were multi-repeat offenders. the ones who dont care will continue and end up finding a better way to build the mouse trap so they dont get caught again.

we all need to do our parts to help the COs for them and for the future of our environment. and if that means kicking a few a$$es, call james :P or throw a glass jar of eggs at their head. i've heard this works ;)

So you're a racist too, you just don't have the balls to say it.

Tako.....feelin the oats

i'm not racist. i hate everyone equally.

and i like to argue - ask rickr

the few that i have seen here in alberta have been white, middle aged, female and stoooopid. like major ignorant stupid. like to stupid to even bother trying to explain that stringing fish to cull is harmful and against the regs (that she was holding in her hand)

So if I'm a White, Male, Middle Class, Catholic, American (ie, from a land with different rules), and my father was a commercial fisherman, the odds of me poaching are what 95% or so?

Since I fish with a lot of people on this site, I would recommend you all commit the RAP number to memory.

So if I'm a White, Male, Middle Class, Catholic, American (ie, from a land with different rules), and my father was a commercial fisherman, the odds of me poaching are what 95% or so?

sorry Rick, the cultures are too similar so the being from a different land card doesnt work. I know the US is going through some financial difficulties at the moment but i dont think the country has been rolled back to a 2nd world classification, at least not that i am aware of, then again, i dont watch the news or read the newspapers much... That and you fly fish, so the percentage for you being a poacher is

0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

000000000000000001%

so that just leaves white, male, middle class and catholic. now if your dad had been a maggot farmer, you might have given me something to work with... :P

and Brent, gummy eggs are not bait :P

Are you kidding? Fly fishing is just a more effective means of poaching. The traditional high cost associated with it used to deter the usual weekend warrior poacher crowd. But now that you can successfully flyfish with a $100 setup, it's WAY easier to get into it. I've seen a hell of an explosion in flyfishing in recent years, and not all of it for the better!

Hawg,

Do you truly believe that, or is there a bit of sarcasm there? Let me ask a question:

You are about to be born. God (or whatever infinite being you believe in) asks you:

OK, you can be born in any country and be any race and any gender. What do you pick?

If you don't say:

"I'll take White Male in North America (or Northern Europe, or Australia, etc.) please", then you are not paying attention. There are certainly issues, but if you are a white male, the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages.

Guest bigbadbrent
It gets me real pissed off and makes me wanna say **** :angry:

haha someone got the quote..suprised Rick didn't, but i suspect Rick enjoys his country rather then alternative

i used to use egg clusters on the coast all the time. no gut hooks... maybe i'm doing it wrong.

Tako, sure you can pick up a fly rig for $100. but i have yet to meet someone in their first season of fly fishing by themselves with no outside help, instruction, lessons, reading etc. who has caught more than a handful of fish by accident. who in there right mind would fly fish to poach as a specific means to an end? there are certainly more effective ways of poaching. especially if the poacher is doing it to make money or feed a family, not just for the sake of killing the wrong size or type of fish. how is fly fishing a more effective way of poaching unless you know what you are doing as a fly fisher? And since 99% fly fishers i know are fully against poaching and more in tune with nature and conservation, there really isnt a hugh risk of fly fishers purpossly poaching. i know 1% who dont really care what the catch or how as they justify the means because they release (not my opinion or practice)

i was also thinking more along the lines of most fly fishers dont use bait (except gumy eggs :P ) i just cant see rick out there with a bucket of herring or mealworms

If someone were truly interested in poaching as a means of feeding the family or making money I can pretty much guarantee they are not using fly gear because:

1. Too expensive

2. Can't cover enough water (this is the biggie)

3. Easier to loose fish

4. There are FAR more effective ways to catch big fish, day in, day out

At my house is my saltwater rig. A Shimano Chronarch SuperFree on a 7 ft med-fast Castaway rod. If I put on a Buzzbomb, I could probably cast it 60-70 yds (more if the wind is at my back). With a barbed (hell I'm poaching, why would I pinch?) treble hook, my hookup to catch ratio would be in the 80%+ range. If I swung that bad boy at night in the summer, it would be a fish fest. I also bet I could be pretty effective with a count down rapala as well.

((Please in no way infer that I have anything against the above methods of fishing-assuming you pinch the barbs and change the treble to a single))

LS,

Mealworms and herring would be too boring for me!!