Fly Fusion Forums

Stolen Vehicle..

I subscribe also to the P.O.S system...... you can even do it with an open bed truck...... just put valuable fly rods in the back of the truck, cover with a wormy moldy old tarp and a broken childrens tricycle circa 1965 maybe a couple worn out pairs of shoes and bobs your uncle........ I think you could hide gold bricks in the back of a truck if you covered em with maggotty bread 4 hubcabs and a 2 month old bag of fragant smelts.

Anyways enough jokes I have heard that some of those GPS police systems are really really good. Am I mistaken or can you get such a system that they can actually shut the vehicle off remotely? Thought I heard about that

I've installed a GPS system in few commercial vehicles. I don't remember the brand (I have the manual at work though) but it had a few options. Tracking, remote door lock/unlock and you could also disable the engine remotely. I've heard of newer ones that instead of disabling the engine, it slowly derates it until it will only do like 20mph. That way it's safer than cutting the power completely off if it's flying down the highway.

Got a call today from the Canmore RCMP. Vehicle was pulled over last night driving down the wrong way on hwy 1. Apparently the guy was living out of my vehicle, and had tons of stolen property in my vehicle. 10 charges laid on the guy already, and they have yet to charge him with theft of my vehicle. Bunch of needles, alcohol and *hit everywhere. No major body damage, but the inside is a nightmare. Both my rods and reels were in it, but nothing else of mine...

Banff011.jpg

Banff015.jpg

Banff018.jpg

Banff019.jpg

Got a call today from the Canmore RCMP. Vehicle was pulled over last night driving down the wrong way on hwy 1. Apparently the guy was living out of my vehicle, and had tons of stolen property in my vehicle. 10 charges laid on the guy already, and they have yet to charge him with theft of my vehicle. Bunch of needles, alcohol and *hit everywhere. No major body damage, but the inside is a nightmare. Both my rods and reels were in it, but nothing else of mine...

Holy crap Mitch!! That's the same Mountie that found our 4Runner and that we dealt with!! No joke! Constable Renaud I believe?

Holy crap Mitch!! That's the same Mountie that found our 4Runner and that we dealt with!! No joke! Constable Renaud I believe?

not sure, the lady was french who dealt with me...but she said some other guy was the one who pulled him over. no police report yet as they just were starting to go through everything will let you know if they give me a name birchy..

Glad to see you got your vehicle back Din. I have almost the same truck. I suppose it's time to think about putting in an alarm or at the least an immobilizer.

Which part of the city did you guys have your vehicles stolen from?

Rob

Thanks Rob, my vehicle was up in the NW by the university.

of the 2k of stuff I had in my vehicle im getting reimbursed only 245$. hate dealing with insurance!

Crappy deal !

My first night ever in Calgary (Marlbourogh) my suped up scirocco was stolen - all my clothes, over 500 CD's, all my ski gear plus 5k in climbing gear all gone. I bought a $400 station wagon at an auction the next week, a couple months later someone stole that LOL. That was a horrible welcome to the city and it took along time to realize that 99% of Calgarians are really great people and it was a few arse-hats that left me bitter for a while.

Last ime I took my Jeep to the southern states I was paranoid about theft (and my insurance wanted a fortune to insure it for the trip) so I came up with my own solution. After reading that almost all stolen vehicles are driven away (whether to be chopped or joy-riden) and that thieves often know how to beat various alarms and theft prevention I set my mind to finding a way to prevent my Jeep from being outright stolen. I figured I needed a method that was unique and unbeatable. After noticing Mad Max's hidden bomb switch in the road warrior one day my tiny little light bulb turned on and I came up with this idea. I know at least 20 people (mostly open vehicle owners like me who are susceptable to theft) have added this feature - also indespensable if your planning on driving a jeep down to mexico where most insurance is also invalid. This won't prevent being towed away but sure as the day is long your vehicle will not be driven away with my method in place. (although vandalism due to frustration happens at least you'll still have wheels - here are the steps (PS I have had some pretty good mechanics try to beat this and so far no one has even come close to figuring out the disable)

You'll need: an automotive toggle switch, an inline fuse, 10 to 15 feet of automotive wire (all of this should be rated with an appropriate amperage for the component you intend to disable)

1) Choose an essential component to disable - consider access and ease of diagnosis - In my case I chose the fuel pump because a) it is on top/inside of the fuel tank so it is impossible to reach with out lowering the tank B) shutting it down leaves the jeep turning over and without actually hooking up gauges to the fuel lines it is impossible to diagnose that the fuel pump is why the jeep won't run (and thieves just never expect it - they will look for ignition disablers first) and the only damage the jeep will see is a dead battery which really is good thing in that scenario

2) Identify the power wire source for the component (power wire to the fuel pump) - cut it - and solder in two lengths of wire long enough to reach your secret switch.

3) secret switch - I mounted mine under my drivers seat - it needs to be hidden well enough that a search will not find it, but also you don't want to be so hidden that everyone watching you get out of your truck sees you turning it on and off. mine looks like I am just adjusting my seat as I get in and out, but it is far enough up the seat floor that "just feeling around you won't find it" without knowing where to go.

4) install the fuse before the switch (just an extra precaution since the jeep seats get soaked occasionally.

Tips - hide the wiring completely - if you try to start without flipping the switch, shut the ignition all the way off, flip the switch, start the truck - (some systems have a precharge cycle as part of the ignition to ensure proper system pressure)

Do this and you wheels will have to be towed to be stolen - end of story !

We install a Normal open push button on one of the ignition wire under the dash, you push the button down and start the jeep once you release the button the jeep runs as normal. If you dont push the button you get a click and that is it like the starter was fed. This way you dont have to keep flipping a toggle switch.

i did it with the help of a mechanic at a local service station.

Nick

• 4 weeks later...

Just because I know everyone cares to know....

still dealing with this..friday met my adjuster and told me they are going to write off my vehicle and settle with me now after they didn't fix anything with it since they had found it...just got and offer and its about 4k less than what my vehicle is worth...starting to really piss me off now...

• 1 month later...

You can cut the steering wheel with a $5 hack saw and remove a 'club' in seconds. I seen it on Dateline or something. I have a $150 Alpine alarm, and unless your familiar with my particular wiring harness and have the tools to access my ignition switch and circumvent the alarm, your not driving away with my truck.

99% of car thieves are scumbags who need a ride, want stolen property for usually drugs, or are more likely punks who are joyriding. Professional car thieves are an urban legend aside from the vary rare organized chop shop operation. Don't leave anything in your vehicle or I'm afraid to say your asking for it. I don't take my face-plate off if I'm going to be quick or near my truck and if it was stolen then I'm only out a couple hundred.

If you pimp out your ride your advertising to crooks so be aware that your a target. I had a friend who had a crazy stereo and lived in a high crime area. Yet everyday he'd have his stereo blasted as he drove up his street and park in a dark corner. You can guess where his crazy stereo is now.

I had 2 speakers stolen from a friends truck and the thieves triggered the alarm like 4 times until my friend went out and checked, seen nothing, then left the alarm off for the neighbors sake, as it was late at night. So be aware of that cheap trick.

Its retarded how high the insurance rates are, and how it seems that so many victims are always out something when its all said and done. Maybe its all the lawyers, and ridiculous lawsuits?

Sorry to hear about your truck Din. I'm glad the jerks got caught, and you got your ride back.

I still say my POS deterant works the best and is the cheapest way. Just drive a vehicle that looks like *hit and could breakdown any moment and it get avoided. had a Ranger for 4 years that you didnot need a key to start (busted ignition) and broken Stick on the shifter (used big ass screw driver) and never locked it. was always there when I came out.

oh and Glad you got your ride Back Din to bad the asshats only got a slap on the wrist though.

Teck