Fly Fusion Forums

The Snow In Calgary Today..

Yep, I agree totally. When I hit the road and it was greasy, I thought about the Annapolis Valley storms, a little rain, then some freezing rain, followed by some snow, which was then followed by my dad saying school was cancelled! Kinda miss the heavy snow, until I hit the Deerfoot on the way to work, not good!

I remember back in my Toronto days pushing a baby stroller through this crap day after day one fine April in 1994. I'll take this crap over what they're getting now. I don't miss those highways turned into skating rinks from the freezing rain storms. Driving in one of those is the closest I ever came to biting it.

I left half an hour later for work this morning and it was a breeze....well as much of a breeze as the Deerfoot can get.

yep i remember shoveling the drive way out for an hour, move what felt like 5 tonne of the *hit just to have the plow driver come by literally Laughing (the evil bastard) and plow the drive way back in. oh yeah miss that $hit

Those guys are diabolical.

This just may be the first time since I've moved to Calgary that a snowfall has reminded me of home. Wet and heavy. (no 'wordplay" jokes here please ;) )

must....resist.....smartass comment.........you make it real hard not to comment on that one birch... :lol:

This was sent to Global News Weather Guys:

Hi,

Don't know if you know or not but nothing marks you guys as "newcomers" to Alberta faster than the use of the phase "Alberta Clipper". After all, the phase first appeared in the east - like down east - way east - like in Detroit. Your not closet 'mericans are you?

If you ID the fast moving low as an Alberta Clipper, how about naming other weather phenomena. The ugly low that comes across Washington State should perhaps be known as the Washington "Washer", a low coming from the Pacific as a Pacific "Pisser" or failing that a BC "Blaster". And God help us all for the high pressure areas coming from Alaska that you guys charitably call "An Arctic High Pressure Area" which could and should be called an Alaska Aberration or A$$hole.

This would only be fair as nearly all the real crappy weather in Alberta was delivered in one form or another by a US State. How about giving credit where credit is due.

regards,

Don Andersen

I just repeat what the weather network tells me .. whatever it is, I know it creates more trouble for CENTRAL Canada than it does Alberta, Detroit is hardly East .. either way, Alberta has been home for the last 10 years and I plan to keep it my home. I like the people, I like the mountains, and I LOVE the weather

Hey Don..great plan..."This would only be fair as nearly all the real crappy weather in Alberta was delivered in one form or another by a US State."

Good thing we don't get much blow in from Connecticut. Might have to be censored. :)

Hey Don..great plan..."This would only be fair as nearly all the real crappy weather in Alberta was delivered in one form or another by a US State."

Good thing we don't get much blow in from Connecticut. Might have to be censored. :)

:lol::lol: ..

was in the Colorado rockies this past weekend, and they had to close I-70 at the pass due to bad weather and half our party was delayed by a day, they would agree, although I don't think there was much censorship going on in the Jeep at the time ...

When I was trudging out to my vehicle this morning I thought that the snow reminded me of NB snow...good for snowmen and snowballs....bad for shoveling and feet/shoes...

When did Detroit get moved to the East? You 'Bertans and your geography...everything east of The Hat is 'The East'..... :mellow:

Being a teacher, I miss snow days! Nice to have the odd day off mid week. As far as snow and shoveling, I scrape snow here, not shovel. Clearing the driveway in Cape Breton after snow storms was an hour job minimum. Mind you, there was no -49 with windchill. Remember 3 weeks ago fellas?

If you ID the fast moving low as an Alberta Clipper, how about naming other weather phenomena. The ugly low that comes across Washington State should perhaps be known as the Washington "Washer", a low coming from the Pacific as a Pacific "Pisser" or failing that a BC "Blaster". And God help us all for the high pressure areas coming from Alaska that you guys charitably call "An Arctic High Pressure Area" which could and should be called an Alaska Aberration or A$$hole.

Back home we call it a "Nor Easter". The good part was you had school off for a couple of days. The bad part was you had to spend the first day digging for the family vehicle.

from the sounds of the slang there are a few other Herring Chokers here... I hated waiting for the Miramichi to thaw and become fishable so much that it is the One thing in my life I now completely changed...Vancouver Island is ...well...it just is!

Can you imagine 160 CM of Snow in 36 hours...Only the Nor Easters off the Atlantic produce these stupid numbers...

But I have to say that this is the most snowy season I have experienced on the Island in 15 years!! and there is still snow on the remote Westpart of the Island!

As far as Canadian records go, BC has it wrapped. How would you have liked to shovel yourself out of Revelstoke in 1971? 2,446.5 cm, that's 80 feet of snow.

# Greatest average annual snowfall: Mt. Fidelity, Glacier National Park, 1,433.0 cm;

# Greatest snowfall-one season: Revelstoke, 2,446.5 cm, 1971-72;

# Greatest snowfall-five-day period: Kitimat, 246.2 cm on 14- January 18, 1974;

# Greatest snowfall-24 hours: Tahtsa Lake, 145 cm on February 11, 1999;

# Greatest snow on the ground any month: Whistler Roundhouse, 450 cm;

from: http://www.islandnet.com/~see/weather/alma...04/alm04nov.htm

rom the sounds of the slang there are a few other Herring Chokers here... I hated waiting for the Miramichi to thaw and become fishable so much that it is the One thing in my life I now completely changed...Vancouver Island is ...well...it just is!

Don't ever call me a Herring Choker you Cod Sucker. :lol:

Don't ever call me a Herring Choker you Cod Sucker. :lol:

uh - oh ... :lol:

Leave me otta this one cause I'm gonna claim maritime dual citizenship .. I was born on the banks of the Miramichi in Newcastle NB .. but my folks moved back to the rock when i was just a 20"er my dad was in the military and we moved around lots until he got out in the early 80's