Fly Fusion Forums

Fortress Lake?

Hey just wondering if anyone had some info regarding fortress lake? I would like to hike in there this summer and was just wondering if anyone has done the trek themselves or know people who have. Can't really afford to fly in at the moment although that looks great so if anyone has some information that may be of some help feel free to pm me.

Thanks

Long story short, I asked the same question last year and got a photo-essay reply. The hike kicked azz, if you like hiking your sack off for the sheer joy of it. The guy who responded to me never caught any fish, as (I am told) the trail comes in to the EAST side of the lake, and during the summer months the fish are not present in any great numbers in the east end. I was told by the guy who should know that only EARLY EARLY (late May, early June) in the season are the fish present in good numbers in the east end of the lake accessible by trail.

I'd say go for it. The hike is something worth doing by itself. I'll do it someday.

But I'd be wary if the bridge is out. Early June is probably not the best time to be attempting to ford the river :ph34r:

Guest bigbadbrent

everything i've heard from people that have done it, and park ranger type people, have said its a easy, easy hike, its just really stinkin long

everything i've heard from people that have done it, and park ranger type people, have said its a easy, easy hike, its just really stinkin long

Ah common. Takes what, 7 hours for a guy in good shape to do 25km? I know I walked 47km in 11.5 once, but it was mostly flat.

Guest bigbadbrent

well, aren't you all that is man!?

I realised i was a little more out of shape when we did the Carnavorn hike last year. 2 hours in and im puffing like an asmatic

A few people have done it and apparently its not that difficult. However, the fishing is not done very easily from shore. You may find it almost impossible.

If you do hike in with the float tube keep an eye on your pack. Damn marmots gnawed through to my lunch. I did manage to fish successfully from shore too.

Tight lines,

PMD

well, aren't you all that is man!?

I realised i was a little more out of shape when we did the Carnavorn hike last year. 2 hours in and im puffing like an asmatic

Couldn't barely stand the next day :P Moral of the story: the walk to your fishing spot is shorter than the walk home and that puddle IS THAT DEEP.

Hijack off....

Couldn't barely stand the next day :P Moral of the story: the walk to your fishing spot is shorter than the walk home and that puddle IS THAT DEEP.

Hijack off....

"Hijack off..." :blink::blink: ???

Dude, I think yer on the wrong forum!

Oh, and you accidentally put an "H" at the start of yer confession... :P

Fortress is the nicest place I've ever been. I would be careful listening to people who say the hike is "easy" - esp those who haven't actually done it.

The hike is easy as far as 20km+ hikes go - but you will be in the middle of nowhere and you'll have to do the kind of things that you don't see dayhiking into your average K-Country lake. There are small log bridges that get awful slick when wet, and you have to ford the Chaba - an easy feat if the flows are right, and a real pain in the butt if they aren't. Plus, you'll have to do it all with a sizeable pack on. If you've done a fair amount of backpacking before and you're in decent shape, you'll have no problem. If you've only done dayhikes before and you're expecting a cakewalk, you'll be in for a surprise. The hike out is worse than the way in.

The lake is a veritable ocean - 11km long and fairly wide too. The new owner (Dave J) wasn't renting motorboats to hikers when I was up. I would get a hold of him and see if you can work something out. A float tube won't get you to where you need to be if the fish aren't in the east end of the lake. Furthermore, the wind can create 3' waves on there in a hurry. If you camp, it's probably worth pushing through to the Fortress Creek campsite. Dave takes excellent care of the campgrounds and they are easily the nicest backcountry camps I've seen.

PMD is bang on about the rodents. They'll chew float tubes, rod handles, and anything else you let them get into. Tube your rods at night.

We went on the August long weekend and we were too late. I ran into some folks who were also there on the July long weekend and they did much better. For what it's worth, plan for the July long and watch the flows on the Athabasca. I *think* Dave said that the Chaba becomes fordable when the upper flows are below 400m3/s, but it's worth double-checking with him. I'd let him know when you're coming and where you're planning on staying.

Hey Rev,

Apparently the kids can't speak old man! I understood you completely:

Tako,

Maybe we need a reverse Max to English translator, but here goes in common language:

"Dude, I think you are on the wrong forum"

is a reference to the fact that many of us hijack threads on this forum all the time. So don't worry about it.

"Oh, and you accidentally put an H at the start of yer confession"

Is a reference to a favorite activity of many young men. ("Hijack off" minus the H equals.....?)

If you still don't understand, maybe Glenbow can help. He's sorta between our ages and can maybe act as an additional interpreter.

Fortress is the nicest place I've ever been. I would be careful listening to people who say the hike is "easy" - esp those who haven't actually done it.

The hike is easy as far as 20km+ hikes go - but you will be in the middle of nowhere and you'll have to do the kind of things that you don't see dayhiking into your average K-Country lake. There are small log bridges that get awful slick when wet, and you have to ford the Chaba - an easy feat if the flows are right, and a real pain in the butt if they aren't. Plus, you'll have to do it all with a sizeable pack on. If you've done a fair amount of backpacking before and you're in decent shape, you'll have no problem. If you've only done dayhikes before and you're expecting a cakewalk, you'll be in for a surprise. The hike out is worse than the way in.

The lake is a veritable ocean - 11km long and fairly wide too. The new owner (Dave J) wasn't renting motorboats to hikers when I was up. I would get a hold of him and see if you can work something out. A float tube won't get you to where you need to be if the fish aren't in the east end of the lake. Furthermore, the wind can create 3' waves on there in a hurry. If you camp, it's probably worth pushing through to the Fortress Creek campsite. Dave takes excellent care of the campgrounds and they are easily the nicest backcountry camps I've seen.

PMD is bang on about the rodents. They'll chew float tubes, rod handles, and anything else you let them get into. Tube your rods at night.

We went on the August long weekend and we were too late. I ran into some folks who were also there on the July long weekend and they did much better. For what it's worth, plan for the July long and watch the flows on the Athabasca. I *think* Dave said that the Chaba becomes fordable when the upper flows are below 400m3/s, but it's worth double-checking with him. I'd let him know when you're coming and where you're planning on staying.

Ya, what he said, here are some pics from that trip: http://www.flyfishingthebow.com/Fortresslake.htm

Guest Sundancefisher

If you are looking for a job for the summer the operator has advertized for employees every year. Get paid to be out there for the whole summer. Now that is something I wish I could of done when I was a kid.

Remeber you can always call the Jasper park service and ask them as well. They can tell you river flows, if the bridge has been fixed, if a warden has been down there and what the trail conditions like they a have a TON of info. It was recommend to me to consider using a bike for the first portion to make the trip a little shorter time wise.

Nick