Fly Fusion Forums

Rod And Real For A Beginner

jordan

I'm looking for a combo to get in to fly fishing i have had a cheap one for years and I can cast but have never gone out more then a few times a year. I found some on cabelas for 80-100 bucks would these rods be ok, can I get any deals like this from the local shops in calgary.

Hi Jordan,

I would recommend visitng a few local fly shops. Tell them what your budget is and see what they offer you. Then take a few test casts with it to see how it feels. Even if you are just starting, one rod will feel right for you. Tell us where you plan on fishing, the Bow River, small mountain streams, lakes? The rod set up you buy should be suited to the type of water you want to fish. The thing about buying from a local fly shop, is you start a relationship with people who can also help teach you how to fish, flys that are working, places to fish . That to me is a bargain.

steal a car sell for parts and buy a 2000$ rod whatever brand. who needs to test a rod. Sometimes the faster it gets The less you need to know But you gotta remember The smarter it gets the further it's going to go When you blow at high dough.

My life the broadway musical

Thanks for the info, I would like to fish a little bit of everything is there a rod style that is best suited for a lots of different situations. Is there any bands I should look for that are good but offer cheaper setups.

steal a car sell for parts and buy a 2000$ rod whatever brand. who needs to test a rod. Sometimes the faster it gets The less you need to know But you gotta remember The smarter it gets the further it's going to go When you blow at high dough.

Hilarious :lol: Ever seen "Airheads" I think of that whole "lone rangers" conversation everytime I see your nickname !

Sounds like the Tragically Hip. Are you hip? LOL!

Jordan,

It's my first year and I went to Russell's and got the Temple Fork NXT combo.

It's the TFO Signature Series (green) 9 foot - 6 weight, the TFO NXT series reel, and it includes the line, leader, and backing for $179 + taxes. Or if you want the fancy TFO rod case then it's $249.

http://www.templeforkflyrods.com/outfits/nxt.html

• 2 weeks later...