Fly Fusion Forums

Oh Look At The Cute Bear Run A Bluff

Taco

rather conicidental that the guy just happened to be wandering around the forest picking berries with a camera crew :blink:

i was thinking stupid for putting himself there in the first place to take the chance that the plan would work. luckily it did, however... the alternative would have been a more interesting video... :P

Those are european brown bears, same as our grizzlies but not quite so aggressive. Betcha that vid is shot in Finland, them Finns are stoic bastards and don't scare worth a crap.

I'm with LS on this matter ... "trained bear."

Why? Okay ONE idiot I believe--the world is full of 'em ... although some get et.

But they don't pay camera persons enough to hold their ground like that. That bear could have JUST as easily kept coming at camera guy and he/she never flinched.

"Finns are stoic bastards and don't scare worth a crap." One would think that Darwinism has improved the Finnish gene pool by now Taco. :)

Translation "stoic" ... an old Finnish word for stoopid. :P

Real translation here..

Mac MacKenzie (same guy who did the big bronze at Cochrane), all 145 lbs him put the run on a little 3 1/2yr old grizzly in the Flint's Park area of BNP back in the early 70's. Bear caught Mac walkin' across camp in the middle of the day and decided to run Mac off, making a series of bluff charges gettin' closer each time. Mac said later he'd looked around and there wasn't a decent tree for a couple hundred feet and then he got pissed off. He pick up a stick and on the next charge started hollerin' and swearin' and ran straight at the bear. That bear swapped ends and left so fast it was effin' hilarious,

Those are european brown bears, same as our grizzlies but not quite so aggressive. Betcha that vid is shot in Finland, them Finns are stoic bastards and don't score worth a crap.

Finns are stoic bastards and don't score worth a crap. Amen Taco Team Canada all the way :lol:

Give me a 1200mm lens to go with Rick's gun and I'd film the guy.

When I was young and slightly more foolish I worked the rigs in northern Alberta. We had up to 8 bears at a time around the rig and camp because the garbage incineration regs were not in place yet. We harassed the bears quite a bit to try and scare them but it didn't work very well. I even stood in the flare pit and hit them with a stick if they got too close. I stopped when I saw a sow with cubs chase down a yearling bear that got too close. She ran right over 6-10 ft. trees and batted the other bear pretty good.

One day we treed a young bear. Someone got the brainy idea to cut the tree down. When the bear felt the vibrations of the very dull chainsaw it climbed to the top of the mid sized poplar. When the tree fell, the bear bounced once and hit the track. A couple of days later we tried the same stunt again. It seems to have been the same bear because this time it was a 2 man job. One guy poked the bear in the butt to keep it up the tree and one guy was on the saw. I didn't notice my buddy with the stick had changed his mind about participating until afterwards. Apparently, the bear hung onto the tree just above my head. When the tree started to lean and I stepped away, the bear jumped down and went the other way.

Our foolishness stopped shortly after. A couple of rig workers (a geologist and cook out enjoying nature) were mauled to death in northern Alberta and every rig was then required to have an incinerator.

Dogs treed a small black bear sow with a couple of cubs in camp quite a few yrs ago, one of the cubs only went up the tree about 6' and was hanging there, one of the guys we were campin with has a "here hold my beer and watch this" moment, went over and grabbed the cub by the scruff of the neck and pulls it outta the tree, the cub goes nuts starts squallin' and fightin' back. Mom hears all this and bails outta the tree bent on rescuin' her cub, she lands in the middle of the dogs who of course were intently watching the show and a helluva bear dog fight breaks out around Numbnuts knees. About this time it occurs to this guy maybe he'd better put down the cub and get the hell outta there but the cub ain't havin' nothing to do with the ground and tries to climb back up Dumb and Dumber's arm. And around and around it goes, one most hilarious shows on Dutch Ck ever. When it's all over the guy's all pissed off because we didn't rush in and rescue his ass. The guy still holds a grudge thirty yrs later...doesn't like me laughin'

Dogs treed a small black bear sow with a couple of cubs in camp quite a few yrs ago, one of the cubs only went up the tree about 6' and was hanging there, one of the guys we were campin with has a "here hold my beer and watch this" moment, went over and grabbed the cub by the scruff of the neck and pulls it outta the tree, the cub goes nuts starts squallin' and fightin' back. Mom hears all this and bails outta the tree bent on rescuin' her cub, she lands in the middle of the dogs who of course were intently watching the show and a helluva bear dog fight breaks out around Numbnuts knees. About this time it occurs to this guy maybe he'd better put down the cub and get the hell outta there but the cub ain't havin' nothing to do with the ground and tries to climb back up Dumb and Dumber's arm. And around and around it goes, one most hilarious shows on Dutch Ck ever. When it's all over the guy's all pissed off because we didn't rush in and rescue his ass. The guy still holds a grudge thirty yrs later...doesn't like me laughin'

I feel like Einstein now. St least I had a running chainsaw in my hand.

I tend to agree that they either had a big ass gun or it was a set up. I got bluff charged just outside of Revi and if my buddy hadn't been with me and grabbed a hold of my arm, I would have been dinner as I started to run, scared the crap out of me. Another one of my buddies had a run in with a female griz near williams lake and I showed him the vid, he thinks it's a trained bear. I consider him an expert as he has two large puncture scars on his shoulder and 3 on his leg, where the bear chewed on him a bit, let him go and ran away. Either way, it is a pretty cool vid.

Cheers

To quote that fount of knowledge, Wikipedia; Unlike in America, where an average of two people a year are killed by bears, Europe (specifically Scandinavia) only has records of three fatal bear attacks in the last century

Read up on the European Brown Bear guys, they don't behave as aggressively as our grizzlies in confrontations.