Fly Fusion Forums

Students?

46 members have voted

1. 1. Student?

• Yes
    • No

Anyone else besides me and BBB punishing themselves with a 4-turned-5.5 year term (in my case)? I dunno bout you Brent but I am freakin inundated with work right now :blink: :blink: I'm pretty much living at the uni working on GIS labs. I go home to sleep, thats about it. I wanna go back to work :lol:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bigbadbrent

at this very moment (well, other then this one as i type) i'm doing Analytical Chemistry homework. "A 10 ml aliqout of a solution containing an unkown Na concentration was spiked with 1.00 ml of 10 ppm Li. Flame emission analysis resulted in a Na singnal of 65.2 units, and a Li signal of 42.0 Units. A Second 10.00 mL aliquot of the unkown solution was then spiked with 1.00 mL of 10.00 ppm Li and 1.00 mL of 10.00 ppm Na. This solution returned a Na signal of 97.9 units, and a Li signal of 41.5 unites. Determine the concentration in the unknown'

Sure this could be easy..if the prof decided to teach us it, let alone have the text book show at least one example that is NEAR this, but that would be far too clever.

sigh

haha poor us.... i unfortunately have a Security and Investment Analysis midterm next wednesday and have yet to crack the text book :( guess i know where my weekend is going to be spent... i dont even know why i bother to pay rent sometimes as my life seems to be spend at the university as well. Tako, and BBB what are you guys taking? we should meet up for a game of pool or a pint at then den some time

swamped learning tax and audit at the moment...tax has got 4 texts. 2 of which are 3"s thick. apparently we are learnin each chapter in each...love htis s#(t!

these are my tax books....real productive nigth studying obvioulsy...takin pics of textbooks..

WebWingCaddis001.jpg

Sure this could be easy..if the prof decided to teach us it, let alone have the text book show at least one example that is NEAR this, but that would be far too clever.

I had an instructor tell our class on the first day we met him "I'm not here to teach this course, I'm here to teach you how to teach yourselves."

My point? As much as many would love to believe that life is full of examples, it simply isn't. Teaching young students how to think and be resourceful is far more useful than having them memorize textbooks.

The first year of engineering was a tough go, but nothing compared to the 'real world'. No more 4 months off with a half ass summer job. No more arranging courses so Fridays start at 11, and finish at 2. No more ah screw it, I'll skip the afternoon and go fishing...As a few have said before, enjoy it now, because it only gets worse. :lol:

Guest bigbadbrent
I had an instructor tell our class on the first day we met him "I'm not here to teach this course, I'm here to teach you how to teach yourselves."

My point? As much as many would love to believe that life is full of examples, it simply isn't. Teaching young students how to think and be resourceful is far more useful than having them memorize textbooks.

Bah, you're like Calvins dad! 'It's character building'

I'm not a student anymore but any good student should make a degree last at least 5 years, I took 6 for my first degree. You need to have some mental relaxation time, stretch it out. I do however get the perks of being a student, as a teacher the summers are sweet for many things, in particular fishing!

Take your time with the degrees, enjoy life!

Cheers

Anyone who says they would rather go back to school doesn't love their job!!!! School sucks. Too much stress. I'm sitting in Ecological Analysis class right now. Before saturday I have 5 GIS labs to do, an 8pg paper due, a GIS assignment to finish, an analysis assignment to finish, and four midterms to study for for next week. It's too much stress.

Anyone who says they would rather go back to school doesn't love their job!!!! School sucks. Too much stress. I'm sitting in Ecological Analysis class right now. Before saturday I have 5 GIS labs to do, an 8pg paper due, a GIS assignment to finish, an analysis assignment to finish, and four midterms to study for for next week. It's too much stress.

Copy and paste your posts from this thread and save them for ten years. Open it on February 6th, 2018 and read it at your desk, or place of employment where ever, or what ever that might be...I'm pretty sure you'll thank me for the chuckle. ;)

Actually...Wait and read it while doing your taxes in the Spring.

Guest Sundancefisher

The most important thing you should all remember about all your hard work and effort is that......you will most likely go back to school and do it all over again at least once and sometimes twice. Stats show most people change careers at least 3 times. I am on my 3rd so I am now stubbornly holding fast.

I went through the sciences also and have sympathy for all you science undergrads.

While those annoying arts :-) students, loud aggies :-) and egotistical engineers :-) were hamming it up on a solid course load of 4 courses a semester, us science folk had 5 courses of which 3 had labs where were equivalent to 3 additional full courses.

Hang in and enjoy university. I say the best thing you can get out of it is learning how to think... Go to SAIT or NAIT to learn how to do and you will be set for life.

Cheers and happy studying.

Sun

Copy and paste your posts from this thread and save them for ten years. Open it on February 6th, 2018 and read it at your desk, or place of employment where ever, or what ever that might be...I'm pretty sure you'll thank me for the chuckle. ;)

Actually...Wait and read it while doing your taxes in the Spring.

I get paid to fish. I think I can handle it :lol:

While those annoying arts :-) students, loud aggies :-) and egotistical engineers :-) were hamming it up on a solid course load of 4 courses a semester, us science folk had 5 courses of which 3 had labs where were equivalent to 3 additional full courses.

Hang in and enjoy university. I say the best thing you can get out of it is learning how to think... Go to SAIT or NAIT to learn how to do and you will be set for life.

You got that right!!! But like I say, I learn more in the field than I ever will in the classroom.

No I'm punishing myself with managing 2 companies, consulting to 2 more, volunteering in minor sports, and raising a family.

My wife is doing a masters now, her third degree. It reminds why I haven't added to mine. Some instructors are great and some are a waste of time. She's able to focus on the piece of paper she needs for her career change but I don't think I would be that tolerant.

In support of instructors studies have shown that the best instructors can only transfer 40% of the knowledge. Most of the work is always up to the student.

Career hint - if your degree is targeted at a profession, join the professional association and get involved now. The contacts are invaluable and, contrary to what many say, the good times will not last forever. Who you know trumps what you know generally.