Fly Fusion Forums

Stories Of The "strange But True". What Is The

Guest Sundancefisher

Guest Sundancefisher

Scariest from a dogs perspective or just weird...not sure...

I was out working a fisheries job at Baptiste back in 1987. We were beach seining for perch when a German couple came down with their toy poodle. Cute little thing with the fancy hair cut.

Anyways that little dog was a great swimmer. They would toss the stick and the dog would swim out...grab the stick swim back. Kinda standard stuff for Labs etc. but interesting seeing a toy poodle doing it. Anyways while I was watching I thought...hmmm...just do not throw the stick out past the submerged weed line.

Sure enough about 4 or 5 throws later they toss past the weeds. Dog swims out grabs stick, turns and dog paddles once and SWOOOOOSHHHHHH. Gurgle, gurgle...stillness.

Then followed very loud and intense German screaming. The masters student I was working with was German and instantly we knew what had happened and he started to explain in German to the couple. A giant pike had just ate Fido.

True to god story and the most amazing fish strike I have ever seen on an over sizes natural pike fly.

Funniest

That has to be when I stumbled upon a boss and his assistant doing the wild and nasty in a meadow downstream of Canyon Creek. Bottle of wine, blanket, dress clothes laid out nicely...going at it like wild rabbits as I cut through to another pool

Any other stories?

:-)

Sun

One of the coolest things I've ever seen was a *(few too many) years back on the Miramichi in NB. I was alone on a streach of the river and looking downstream to a bend when out of nowhere comes this screeming fighter jet about 300 feet up or less. He was following the river valley upstream and blasted above me with a roar almost too much to bear. Very cool.

the only slightly strange story i have is from a fishing trip down south a few years ago. i was fishing from a ledge/ over hang about 10ft off the water and i was just dancing a dry fly about a foot from the water, practicing soft landings and easy delivery to a bunch of small like 4inches small cutthroats hanging out in a feeding lane.

so the fly is in the air fluttering about and this very silly cutthroat decides to take a flying leap at it. 4inch fish, jumped more than a foot out of the water and yes in deed, he hooked himself. reeled him in and gently tossed him back in to the water, laughing my ass off.

i had never seen such a small fish jump that far out of the water to eat a very small bug.

other than that, my fishing life is fairly boring. go, i catch fish, i leave.

Guest Rocknbugs

My buddy and I were out (bow) one day and saw a fish (could not tell what kind) attack a pelican, we were side by side working around a huge deep bend shootin the *hit when we heard some kind of comotion going on down stream a bit, you know splashing on the surface, when we looked we saw the pelican trying to take off and a good sized fish hanging from its foot/leg (this fish was over 20" you could tell he was big from far), once the bird got airborn about 3' out of the water the fish let go and splash back into the river. Buddy thinks he saw that it was big brown but who knows I couldnt tell. Not wierd or even that exciting but it was cool to watch for the few seconds that it lasted for.

Watched 50 head empty longtrottin' headed home packhorses go up over and around a backpacking tent some wise and knowledgeable hiker had pitched in the middle of the trail one time. Musta interrupted a heckuva party because 3 bare asses unloaded outta that tent, 2 round and pink and 1 hairy headin' for the bush. Betcha they were a tad more observant about where they pitched camp afterwards

While fishing,

Funniest - Watched a local "guide" step off a rock ledge into 20 feet of water, never slipped, walked right off the edge. Lucky he did'nt have any clients at the time.

Scariest - Walked upon a black bear north of Hinton on my way back to the truck..so close i could smell him (might have been my shorts i smelled not 100% sure)

Weirdest - Little pike stuck halfway through a hole in a piece of steel. (Bow River)

Coolest - Watched a monster (what i estimate to be close on 40") Bully eat a +/- 15" Cutty, he flipped it around head first and ate it like a snake

EDIT - just remembered one - last summer salmon fishing on the Rock a Dragon fly picked off my fly mid cast and tried to take off with it he had hold of it for 4-5 seconds before he let go .. was'nt no small fly either a bomber on a # 6 or 4 hook..it was as big as the dragon fly

I was fishing with my brother and my dad when I was about 13 or 14. We were fishing a huge flat on the backside of a peninsula in Louisiana. This is literally in the middle of nowhere. We would go days without seeing anyone fishing within miles of us. Anyway, I snag something while working my lure. Dead weight, but it sorta feels alive. I had no idea what it is. It gets close and I see my lure hung on a stringer. With about 10 fish on it, all alive!! Well, my brother and I always counted our fish for a contest, and on this day I was behind by a couple. So I count the 10 fish and add it to my total. He thinks this is totally unfair, but dad backs me up.

Anyway, this is bizarre for several reasons. One is the fact that no one fished there but us. The other is the very few people who did almost exclusively fished in the boat. They would have no need for stringers. We never in those days saw anyone wade fishing but us.

I know an old guy from the rocky area who had a double hook up on a nymph rig, while he was bringing it in across the pool 2 bull trout ripped both the fish from his line. Im pretty sure he said that the line broke i cant quite remember. As for me personally , hmmm i guess it would be scary and stupid on my part. When i was little, around 9 or so me and my brother had some rainbows we kept so when we were gutting them the fillet knife we used came in a wooden case. Now on this knife you could not tell the difference between the handle or the cover. So me being the smart arse that i am, tried to "freak" my brother out and whip the "cover" off at him while i held the handle.... In theory it was supposed to work that way, instead a Very sharp fillet knife flew towards my brothers head, Luckily it turned and the Butt end of the handle hit him square between the eyes. What followed as a crying brother, and soon a crying me after i got the piss pounded outta me. Needless to say i never tried that joke again

Cool: back when i was a teenager in Ont. me and a buddy of mine were fishing around Gananoque in the 1000 islands. having a great day they were almost lining up to get caught. when all of a sudden 2 US fighter jets come screaming under the Hill Island bridge, way cool even though I lost my AC/DC ball cap from the wind created.

I used to work doing meter repairs up in the Ottawa Valley, every week I would first search out my secluded lunch, then meditation (Nap time) spot. Just out side of Pembroke Ont. I found a perfect spot with a meadow and a nice little pond. I went there every day and parked ate then had a nap then back to work. On one day In the meadow, a deer came running out of the bush limping a little and started accross the meadow, then from the far side a wolf came out then they started apearing all around the meadow, needless to say I didn't have lunch alone that day.

weird

In October my Son and I took a trip to the Crowsnest, and taking I think Wongrs's advice I just parked at Leitch Collieries and sleep there. at around 12:30 am a truck pulls nose to nose with my van waking me. I'm thinking oh great it the police and I'm going to have to move along. then the truck drive to the other side of the lot. I'm awake and this looks odd so I Cody and I watch for a bit. about 5mins later a second truck comes from the east and parks beside the first they get out of their truck chat for a min then move 2 large boxes from 1 truck to the other. the truck from the east went back east and the truck from the west went back west, Cody and I looked at each other decided that it we didn't see anything.

scariest: being stalked for approx. 2km by a cougar across the river (in between the gap and HWY 22) on my way back to camp...

weirdest: toss up between snagging a flying sparrow on my backcast on the Castle and catching a muskrat on a streamer at Beauvais lake...

most painful: hauling in a 12" cutty, landed it, and while reviving it, a bull comes and nips my pinkie and takes off with the cutty (in a weird way he was biting the hand that feeds)...

other than those moments, i'm just like LS...boring... :lol::P

Funny: My Brother and I fishing Medicine lake in Jasper one year and my Bro had rented waders from a local shop and they where the one's with the built in boots and very heavy. Well Medicine is very muddy and my Bro stood a little to long in one spot and when he went to move he was stuck. Now I was a good 100yds away from him and I was trying to get over to help but the mud makes it hard to move so it was taking me awhile. well he was getting really mad and I was laughing so hard my gut was hurting then he fell over and his waders filled with water but he was unstuck after the fall. He was so pissed that he hiked off of the lake and up the hill to the car with waders full of water and all I can hear is swearing and then I see him dump out a bunch of water from his waders :lol: it must have added another 100lbs+ to his walk lol.

Gross: Headed down to the Crow with my Bro and a buddy so we decide to go to the Lease parking lot and fish that section. we pull into the parking area and I notice this guy standing in between the outhouses jerking his pickel :blink: well it was pants up and a really fast run to his car followed by a cloud of dust from him ripping out of the lot.

Strange: fishing the Highwood in the canyon just after runoff and the water was still really high but hey you gotta go fishing. Well I'm standing on the bank when I notice something out of the corner of my eye. It's big and dark looking and is floating down towards me. Well I have had this happen to me twice before and both time it was a Black Bear trying to cross so I reel in and get ready to make some noise or take off when I notice it's not a Bear but a big fat bloated dead Cow floating down stream and right past me :huh:

Funny for you not for me: Fishing upper K in my bellyboat when I decide that I am way to cold to stay in the boat so I go to shore get out of my boat and leave it up on the bank and start fishing from shore when this dog show's up and takes a leak right on my bellyboat :angry: my buddy Carlos was in stitches and I was really mad and the owner was laughing so that did not make it much better but I lightened up and had a good laugh after I washed the boat off.

Guest Sundancefisher

Strange thing I just remembered after reading earlier posts was catching bats on the Crowsnest while dusk fishing using an October caddis. Had to stop fishing cause every back cast I had a bat.

Grossest was fishing on the North Sask downstream of Cloverbar and while standing up to my shins casting a doc spratly for pike big giant logs started floating past... To put it in better perspective...the toilet paper was mixed in.

Hmmm it doesn't say fishing only so I'll add my 2 cents worth. I have lived in three haunted houses, had several encounters that were.....shall we say 'goose bumpy" that involved rather interesting apparitions. Saw them, became a more avid believer, don't really want to live in another haunted house, so I avoid old homes and I always ask if the new homes I look at are built anywhere near a graveyard....that is a bad thing.

Hmmm it doesn't say fishing only so I'll add my 2 cents worth. I have lived in three haunted houses, had several encounters that were.....shall we say 'goose bumpy" that involved rather interesting apparitions. Saw them, became a more avid believer, don't really want to live in another haunted house, so I avoid old homes and I always ask if the new homes I look at are built anywhere near a graveyard....that is a bad thing.

<_< ... :huh: ... :blink: ... :unsure:

used to own a 200 yr old farm house outside of Picton ON. great place right on the lake 10 acres and the previous owners never left. saw them 3 or 4 times and many odd happenings. In the morning(5:00am) I would often lose my keys only to go upstairs to steal my wifes. and when I got back down stairs they would be in the middle of the empty kitchen table. got to the point that I would just say thank you to Mrs. Wilson and go to work. Ran into Mr. Wilson once coming in from the summer kitchen while I was going out. freaked the $h!t out of me.

needless to say I was a firm believer in ghosts after living there.

other than those moments, i'm just like LS...boring... :lol::P

ummmm... thanks?

i'll have to try the sparrow catching next summer. sounds like a hoot.

i just remembered a few things..

oddest: foating the bow and having a dead gopher float past me

grossest: livingston last year with a friend and his dog. i went upstream of the FTR bridge and the dog was hanging out with me. then i noticed she wasn't really interested in the fishing and had her head burried in what i thought was the dirt... so i went over to see what she found. i could smell it before i saw it. nothing like the smell of decomp :wacko: yeah, a nice decapitated, bodiless deer head with it's bloated tongue hanging out, eyeballs missing and fur hanging out of the dogs mouth... nothing like a nice shore lunch while waiting for your friends to finish fishing.

scariest while fishing- having a black bear jump in the lake and swim after me in my float tube. Had a bull moose do basically the same thing in the same lake but he came crashing down the bankside into the lake behind me scared the living crap outta me. The bear I atleast saw coming.

Was bluffed much like the video in the other thread twice while making my way into this lake but the bear only made one pass the first time when there was a group of us. The second time when I was alone the bear made 2. Closest was the first time though when it came to about 10 feet from the group of us.....happened to be helping some american couple carry a canoe in the girl was almost in tears afterwards.

Funniest- ironically the same lake was floating around in my tube and was outta site of the little dock area but when I returned (you move quietly in a tube) I surprised a couple...... coupling by the dock....... she was on top....... I turned around and paddled back a bit and coughed loudly. They were looking pretty sheepish so I let them reorganize their clothing and head down the trail before hitting the dock.

Also been attacked(sorta) by loons at this same lake can't really say it was traumatic experience though.

I'm sure some odd or weird things have happened but none that I can think of at the moment.......