Fly Fusion Forums

Scud Back Material

cdock

I'm about to tie some scuds for the first time. I've seen scud back material sold in packages but my pattern calls for a ziploc bag. I like this idea as it's really cheap. Does this work? Any other types of plastics to try other than ziploc bags(I figure they are fairly durable)?

The bags work well. Basically any bag materials come in will work. I use the scud back materials because it is easier to work with and is precut. You can tie a lot of scuds with a single package. You also get a choice of colours to use. You could also try the dollar store and look for transparent hair elastics. they are small, but will work very well for scuds.

The opalescent Easter basket grass has supplied me with year's worth of tying material. But I second the motion on the clear elastic. We get ours on cards from the fabric store, choosing the narrowest possible and cutting it in strips if need be. I've got a fondness for recycling, so plastic bags certainly get the thumbs up on that score.

Guest Travelmate

I agree with Flyangler,

I tie many of my scuds with an opalescent shell back made from the 'easter egg' baskets which my daughter got around Easter or with Christmas hampers plastic wrap, again cheap/relatively strong as well..

I also add a small orange bead or a sparse wrap or two of orange dubbing in the rear third to simulate the females egg sack as well.

interesting to read the ideas from the other tyers - real interesting, we always learn more on this site. ;-)

good luck and cheers,

tm

• 2 months later...

Jennings of the Jennings Ultimate Boatman fame ties a deadly simple scud with a body of krystal chenille trimmed down on top and covered with epoxy. He puts two small eyes on it and it looks sick.

I use the anti-static bags that computer parts ship in for my scud backs. Never seen anyone else use it but it looks great. The colour seems to attract big fish.

I've used the same thing. The glean and slight darkening it provides really looks good.

Plus, my flies don't stick together.