Fly Fusion Forums

Flyfishing Expo

rusty

ya i just got back and thought it was great. Met alot of members and got a book signed by Jim. Picked up my FFC touque and tee. Would really like to get my hands on one of those mini drift boats. Anybody see those. 4000g i think. Would fit beside the house and not even take up space in the back yard.

Yeah the show looks really good this year. I have to say though I did more standing around and BSing about fishing then I did actually looking at stuff. I think thats the best part though. Then I got thinking imagine there was beer........ Got me thinking that Calgary needs a Flyfishing Bar..... I would definately spend more time in Calgary

Not a bad show,can't believe I walked out of there without spending a dime this year,the Missus on the other hand tho..... , 2 fly boxes a new vest and other sundry items.Glad to see her get excited about fly fishing.

I did stop and talk to the guy at the Andrew Lake Outfitters booth and might book a caribou hunt thru them for next year.

Did anyone do the fish I.D. test?I got one wrong,it was an adult bull trout and I didn't follow my instincts and went for a brookie knowing full well it wasn't :rolleyes: .

I really liked the new venue. Definitely more space, and not as crammed in as in the Maxbell. Went last night which was nice because it wasn't as busy, so I had plenty of time to chat with everyone at the displays.

Came out of there a few hundred dollars lighter buying some SA lines and fly tying tools and supplies that were all heavily discounted. Put a few more (too many) things on the wish list. I saw the Hardy booth and should have just kept on walking...lots of nice toys there.

I made it down on Friday about an hour after the doors opened. Picked up a signed copy of Water Marks, a Deluxe GlenBow special and a Hoodie & Hat.

Nice to see you guys and can't wait to get a hold of that BIG ASS box of Flies!

Not a problem Chidders I'll let ya see it after I win it. ;)

The show was great, good meeting you all there at the booth, you'll be able to spot me now in my new hat from the booth, wife already embroidered the name on the side.

Tight lines and hope to see ya all on the river next time

Teck

I just got back as well and I must agree that the new venue is a huge improvement over the Max Bell Arena. All the extra space made it much more enjoyable this year. Fish Tales had a huge selection of Whiting hackle at great prices, so I managed to replace some of the stuff that the dog ate last week without breaking the bank. I also picked up a Derek DeYoung cutthroat print and will definately be ordering some more from him - I love his work. Great show this year.

Guest tallieho

great place diffently more space.good to match up the names to the person,had quite a good chat with Terry Clayton[fisheries].He mentioned that Beauvais Lake had winterkilled.I asked him about the lack of water in mami [payne],besides it being a dry summer /fall the situation wasn't really helped when the irragation district cut the water down substansially .let's hope that this lack of water doesn't effect,those other lakes in the south west corner,police was okay he'd done a recent oxygen test & thought that they maybe able to cut back on the aerartos at police.I guess on that the need for more revenue $$$,read somewhere that it costs $107,00.00 to operate the aerators on 16 lakes in the province.So if that is it i'm all in favor of increaseing the cost of license fees increase

This was Mike's and my first year attending the show and we didn't walk out empty handed. In fact, I'm surprised we didn't walk out with one of those new Hyde Drift Boats and a new Sage Z-Axis. I don't think we'll be making it through the season without a new one though - they're pretty darn nice rods. I finally got my collapsible wading staff that I've been after so I'm pretty happy about that (when you get to my age, it's all about breaking a hip you know). Got my FFC hat (it's mine and mine alone because Mike has a big melon and it doesn't fit him :lol: ). Plus something special - thanks again Dave, you're far too kind no matter what Chris says about ya ;)

Never being one to be satisfied with what I've got, I sure would like to have one those pink Islander reels...they are the shiznit (is that the right way to say it Max?). I'd also like to take up spey fishing just to buy one of those reels...wow. I don't know what it is - it's all about the reels lately. Maybe I'll start a collection.

Mike bought Jim McLennan's new book as I chatted up Lynda since it's been more than a few years since we've seen each other. Was very nice to catch up and to talk with everyone there who I usually only get to type to :P

Was neat watching the H&H guys tying flies. That's something I wish I had the patience for, but know I never will.

Brent - might come and see you when it's time to buy my new waders this season - sure like the looks of those Patagonias. Great prices at the Troutfitters booth for sure. Only thing I didn't get was the pair of polarized sunglasses I've been after since I bought Mike his for Christmas. But I'm sure I'll live to shop another day :rolleyes:

All in all - a really neat way to spend a few hours on a blustery, cold winter's day.

Had a good time at the expo as well. Made it out saturday around noon. Just landed in time to take in an informative presentation hosted by Kelly Gallop on streamer techniques. Learned a few things that I will try on the ol bow. Interesting how he pushes BIG ASSED FLIES. Colin McQ ( Canadian flyFisher) did a similar presentation a few years ago and preached the same thing. I wonder why almost all my streamers are size 2!

Bought a Simms Windstopper half price and talked to Jim McLennan and bought the new book with his johnhenry.

Nice living in Cranston for proximity to the Bow and Spruce Meadows for the show.

Made it out today as well, my daughter and I had a good time. She liked the kids area and picked the winner in the minnow race. I picked up a FFC hat and Jim McLennan's new book, can't wait to get started on it. Looks like a good spot to hold the show (better than the Maxbell). Hope to win the flies from the FFC booth they looked great. Very enjoyable. Russ C

PS: Thanks for the $2.00 off coupon. :)