Fly Fusion Forums

Bull Trout

Did a house in Sundre yesterday and was talking to the guy about Bull trout. He shamefully admitted that in the 50's they would go out west and literally kill a hundred of 'em in a weekend, every year, in sept, from a small stream. I didn't knock him though... we discussed the reasons for there being few bull trout now politely.. lol..

That's why our bulls are so threatened... the accessibility of a lot of the small streams they spawn in... and the fact that other species in BC get targeted a lot more than bull trout do (salmon, etc)

They used to even be called garbage trout. Catch one, and throw it on the bank. The bulls eat the brookies, whites and grayling people wanted to fish for. It's one of those things that may have been the norm at one time, but looking back it was a stupid thing to do. 20/20 hindsight....

I am ok with a tag system for bull trout on 2 conditions 1. you may only keep a bull trout caught with your bare hands while they are tied behind your back, and 2. the bull trout get to be armed with fricken laser beams attached to their heads. bwahahaha bwahhahaha bwahahahahahhahaha bwahahahahhahaha bwahahaa bwahah bwaha

I think a tag system would be good for a place like lower k, that place seems to be stunted with bulls(all around 25-30 inches)

has anyone heard of a 30+ inch fish in the last few years from there? used to produce 20+ pounders..

as long as they dont hand out alot of tags and keep it under control, it could really help the lake.

Bulls are protected in AB because it is our provincial fish, not because of their population status. A few individuals became concerned about the status of the species in Alberta and lobbied to get it protected. Making it our provincial fish was the fastest and easiest way to do that.

The powers that be are actually as or more concerned with population status of western cutts and even lake trout, and we can still harvest those.

The population in K-lakes has a number of consecutive years of research on it, making it very valuable. I wouldn't want to see harvest opened there until the researchers were ready for it.

Glenbow has a secret fish Coral out at Lower K. He whispers to them and they come to him. He then bonks them and uses his special seasoning and sushi cubes em.

If you posted that on the "Fishing Alberta" forums they would rally the troops and string you up.

CDock posted something like that before as a joke and people were literally saying "where do you live, i'm reporting you to RAP". It was so funny! But it got so insane that he had to get a different sign on name!! LOL

We don't even bother visiting that site anymore because of all the flaming and arguing that goes on.

Yeah I remeber that. It was funny. The funnier thing is someone else did it not too long after and they all had a good laugh. I guess they didn't know me well enough. I'm allergic to fish and can't eat them. Suckers! LOL!

glenbow, I think that the 25-30 inch size in Lower K right now is awesome. However, look at the Alberta record

http://www.albertaoutdoorsmen.ca/record-book.htm "Bull Trout 17.938 B. Willis Lower Kananaskis Lake 1985"

I also read somewhere that when the bulls spawn on smith dorien, there are so many bulls that only the most dominant end up spawning and the smaller fish get pushed off there redds. Ill keep looking and try to find where I read that.

I'm just saying look at how many suckers are in that lake, but yet you never hear of 20 pound bulls.

just curious if anyone here has gone to smith dorien when the bulls are spawning and seen over 30 inch bulls?

Sure Lower K is an awesome fishery, but if there was a certain # of bulls taken out every year with a tag system could this benefit the lake even more? :blink:

I believe that the Smith Dorrien is the single most prolific & successful breeding area of Bulls in Alberta, and that these fish are used for the breeding of Bull stocking in other places in AB. So, I believe that the upper K bulls are realated to the lower K bulls as they were harvested as eggs & raised in a hatchery. This is my understanding & may not be gospel truth, but I seem to recall this being said to me by the biologist up there. Anyhow, I think they'll allow a harvest (planned) soon enough as the recovery rates are showing they're doing well. I think you'd be surprised at the size of some of the Bulls I've seen in the OM in places you'd swear they couldn't survive. I have seen 30" bulls in the OM. I think they get that big when they out-compete something else so there's enough food for them to get that big. Lower K has the ability to support these bulls & some will get that big - we just gotta be extra-good fishermen to find the real big boys! BTW, there's 30+" rainbows in there right now, and the cutts are supposed to get even bigger than the rainbows (according to the biologist).

No no.. not FLY fish alberta..

Just Fish Alberta. www.fishalberta.com.

I used to visit that site too..............

Now I refer to it as Bonk Alberta..........

If you say something on there in defense of ethics, or in support of maintaining quality fisheries, you get flamed..