Fly Fusion Forums

Best compression socks (diabetic) for wading?

So I was recently diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. I've since learned that foot care is of the UTMOST importance (lots of other things too)

But. About foot care.

Can anyone recommend a decent pair of socks for wading? I am talking quality, compression socks that are typically recommended for diabetics. I am fine with more expensive socks; I think my days of buying Costco / Wal-Mart socks are done. I am happy to spend $$$ taking care of my feet.

Also, any other tips and tricks for foot care for the wading fly fisherman?

Cheers,
Smitty 
(cross-posted from other forums)

Howdy Smitty. I do not  have diabetes, but I have Segarus 20/30 mmhg, as I am prone to clotting. It says they are good for diabetics as well, but you have to go to a medical supply store, be it Co Op Med Supply, or a good pharmacy, to see how much compression you need. Hope this helps a bit, or more. There are so many brands to choose from, and some I find uncomfortable in the summer, and very little warmth in winter.      Stay well. Paul

"foot care is of the UTMOST importance" 

Yes it is. I work in a hospital lab and if I had a nickel for every toe and foot dropped off in the middle of the night, I'd be rich. Sorry to hear about your diagnosis, but glad to see you're thinking proactively.

• 2 weeks later...

Sigvaris has a great compression sock for fishing and hunting. It is made with Marino wool and is available in 2 thicknesses. You need to be measured to be sure of a good fit, if they don’t measure calf circumference, ankle circumference , lower leg length and shoe size they are not truly medical grade compression socks. Also with a prescription you may have coverage under your medical insurance plan. The socks should roughly cost $125 per pair 

Wayne

• Like 1

I wish you the best of outcomes as you take the steps you can to limit the impact of this disease. For what it is worth, there are compression socks for motorcycle riders and airline pilots out there as well. They all meet different needs but it is hoped you will find a solution which works for you. See you on the water!

• 2 months later...