Fly Fusion Forums

Proper Fish Handling

Hi, long time reader first time poster.

First off I would like to say that the point of this post is a troll nor is it to get anyone in a big fuss. I just want to know a few things about fish handling, and maybe bring knowledge to other folks on here.

I moved here from out east two year’s ago and out there it is mainly pike fishing/walleye fishing, which is normal for the fish to be held under the gill plate. This same technique of handling trout is used out there for the most part. I personally have used this hold many times for trout, and it never seemed to be a problem for catch and release of bigger trout. I see on the forums here for the bow river, crowsnest river, etc it is almost like a sin if somebody ever did this. I remember a particular member holding a nice trout by the gill plate and he basically got crucified for it.

I am wondering why this attitude exists? I can understand that if you don’t hold the trout properly and hold it in the gill rakers it can be bad for the fish, but if you hold them properly by the gill plate you should not be touching the gill rakers anyhow. I also feel that I have more control for the fish when they decide to go “buck wild” and start flipping around. I have seen many fisherman on the bow who are so dead set on the tail hold/under the belly but when the fish flips they just let go, and fish crashes into the rocks.

The technique of one hand holding onto the gill plate, and one hand under the belly also makes a much better picture due to the fact you aren’t covering up as much of the fish. I also must say that the gill plate holding technique is much more suited to bigger trout(over 24 inches) as I would say it could do some damage to a smaller fish. Another point I’d like to make is that I have guided up in northern Saskatchewan and the NWT and the common practice for the lakers up there is a gill hold, keep in mind these lodges are 100% C&R.

I am basically posting this just to see if anyone can post some scientific facts, or studies done on fish as to why you should never hold a fish by the gills. And once again, I am not trying to start a big argument so please try to keep it civil.

Thanks!

some people dont seem to know the difference between the gill plate and the rakers. i just dont want to poke the poor things by accident, so i try to get them upside down in the water and calm before i pick the fish up for the 2 second photo shoot and tailed off to the water the fish goes.

i have seen a fish biologist out of sask handle all his fish by the gill plate. i guess if it is done properly then no harm no foul but back to my first point, some people dont know the difference.

It is deadly to hold trout vertically, by their gill plates, as these are a vital part of the trouts respiratory system.

Now, I won't post a bunch of links to scientific studies etc., but this handling method significantly increases trout mortality. As does taking a trout out of the water for extended periods. Even though the trout seems to fully recover, often it is only a case of delayed mortality, especailly during periods of high stress for the trout, such as during extreme water/air temperatures ect..

It is not accepted as an appropriate fish handling method in Alberta, for C&R fishing.

Fish Handling info., is available from SRD Alberta.

Most anglers that I have seen handle fish that way, usually hold them vertically, so I guess I missed that in your post.

Even placing your fingers in the gill plates can severely stress/injure the trout, as they are usually trying to get away when you are trying to restrain them. Also, you could be the cause of an infection in the respiratory system with your fingers contacting the gill plates, or from tissue damage, which will be detrimental to the trout and may lead to delayed mortality. Besides, being conservation minded, means bieng considerate of our resources and mindfully attempting not to do anything that will hurt the resources we so dearly love and enjoy.

This is not much different than the barbless debate....

The key to restraining a trout properly, is too apply a little bit of pressure with your hand/fingers to squeeze the top and bottom of the tail bone. Then turn the trout upside down or on its side in the water to remove the hook. This will usually settle the trout down and give you a few extra seconds to handle the fish without the risk of injuring or killing it to get the photo.

As I mentioned, the information you are seeking is available through SRD Alberta. I tried pasting the link, but it does'nt work.

I usually avoid lifting the thing out of the water, though I have been coerced into it about four times in the last five years. Mainly for pictures for guides etc. I just think if I am going to let it go, the less it is handled out of the water, the better. That being said I have also seen the biologists handle the fish by their gill plates and would see no reason not to.

And this is a copy and paste from page 10 of the Ontario regs.. says the same thing:

GENERAL FISHING REGULATIONS (CONTINUED)

Using proper handling and release techniques improves fish survival.

Here are some tips for releasing fish:

1. Use barbless hooks and artificial lures (no organic bait) to

prevent deep hooking.

2. Land fish as quickly as possible and use a rubber landing net if

needed.

3. Keep the fish in the water as much as possible and handle the

fish gently.

4. Wet your hands or use wet cloth gloves when handling fish out

of water.

5. Do not touch the gills or eyes. Grasp the fish just behind the gill

covers, or for fish without teeth (for example, bass or panfish),hold the fish by the lower lip.

6. Use long-nose pliers to remove the hook quickly without injuringthe fish. If the fish is hooked deeply, cut the line and leave the

hook in.

7. If you want to take a picture, be ready ahead of time, hold the

fish in a horizontal position supporting its weight with your arm

and hands, and take pictures quickly, minimizing the time the

fish is out of water.

8. When releasing the fish, hold it in the water so that it is facing

into the current or if there is no current, gently move the fish in

a forward direction so water flows through the gills.

9. When the fish begins to struggle, is breathing normally and can

keep its balance, let it swim away.

10. Remember that all fish not immediately released count

towards your daily catch or possession limits (also see A

The key to restraining a trout properly, is too apply a little bit of pressure with your hand/fingers to squeeze the top and bottom of the tail bone. .

5. Do not touch the gills or eyes. Grasp the fish just behind the gill

covers

birchy, you just highlighted exactly what I wanted, they say "Grasp the fish just behind the gill covers" that is exactly what I am trying to say.

birchy, you just highlighted exactly what I wanted, they say "Grasp the fish just behind the gill covers" that is exactly what I am trying to say.

I see..

It's just in your original post you first said.. "hold them UNDER the gill plate.. and then the second time you said "hold them BY the gill plate" and the third time "hold ONTO the gill plate".

I guess I was confused. Do you mean holding on to the outside of the gill plates? Can you post a picture of the technique you're referring to?

Although it may not alway be fatal, none-the-less placing your fingers inside, near, or under the gill plate is a potential source of infection. Maybe its a moot point if you could ask a fish, but I think its a case of "better safe then sorry".

I handle Pike by the gill plate, but most trout I've caught are way too small for it. Also in order to handle the fish near the gills you have to squeeze it somewhat, while cradling it does not. Imagine if it was you I was lifting out of the water, I'd think you'd rather be cradled simply because of the suspended weight. Fish are accustom to resting their weight on their bellies, so it has to less harmful then clinching them.

Like Snakeman stated, a net is best, and almost essential on the Bow. Since its handy, why not use it? I think people who fly fish have an special affinity for nature and fish, which may explain some criticism regarding the matter.

However I think if you look at both methods objectively you'd agree that cradling is less harmful, yet how you handle a fish is up to you. It sounds like you have genuine concern and experience with handling fish, which IMO is the important part.

Hi flyfisherjohn,

MissinTheBow has a very informative article on the homepage of this website which discusses the respiratory system of a fish and how fragile it is, especially when a fish is stressed or exposed to air. Perhaps it will change your way of thinking when it comes to handling fish around the gills, and if not it's an excellent read regardless.

Here's the link: http://flyfishcalgary.com/catch_and_release.php

Please everyone treat fish - especially trout with utmost care. Keep them in the water for as long as possible and preferably don't pick them up.

As for holding them by the gill plate, it’s obviously not good. All the books articles and experts I have watch, listened and talked to simply say cradle the fish gently - if you must.

Every summer I go to Northern Ontario and fish. My cousins out there treat the fish like crap. Literally they through them in the boat, let them flop around then pick them up wrestle the barbed treble from the fishes mouth then through them back. Usually saying something like "Back she goes!"

I'm not saying that you treat fish like this, but in general trout (and most fish) can't handle treatment like that at all.

Several times I've been fishing downstream from a fisherman and have seen a trout go belly up down the river.

We must attempt to preserve our wonderful natural resources and treat all nature with respect.

Another point I’d like to make is that I have guided up in northern Saskatchewan and the NWT and the common practice for the lakers up there is a gill hold, keep in mind these lodges are 100% C&R.

Guides don't know everything (How long do they go to school? What tests do they have to pass and what governing body approves their credentials?) and just because everyone does it, doesn't make it right.

You are correct in wanting to see studies. So do I. But I want to see studies saying its okay to handle them by the gill plates too. Lacking those, I'll try to be as gentle I as can.

Ok... I'll wade in to this too.

I don't understand the reasoning behind "I want to see proof that this is not good for the fish." or "What do the studies say about this or that?" It seems to me that statements like this are at best defensive and indicate that the person already kind of has an idea that an approach may not be safe for the fish. Why not give them the benefit of the doubt and just be as inobtrusive as possible. We already mess up thier little trout brains enough by freaking them out so much. Just gently put him/her back in the river with as little impact as possible and get on with catching another fish.

Waiting to see the results of certain studies can take decades and quite frankly, common sense will win out in the end. Leave as little a footprint as possible and move on.

Oh and another thing, didn't Brad Pitt hold that big trout in "the Movie" through the gills?? That should answer the question ;)

DW

i stopped gilling fish holding them horizontal or not mainly because you are stressing and bending ligaments that are not suppose too be ebnt that far...bass like mentioned above in rule 10 in the ontario regs. are the most abused..there mouth is a quick open shut joint not mega spread and let the whole body weight straing the jaw...back too holding trout in teh gills..if tehy struggle your fingers are thrashing around behind the gillplate and in teh gill tissue thus damaging there breathing system....once you stick ur finger in the gills and let teh fish rest u are stressing the fish...try it on urself dude