Fly Fusion Forums

Shadow Box For My Dad's 60th Birthday

Lundvike

So I started out almost 2 months ago with the plan to make a shadow box for my dads 60th. The inspiration is the beaver pond where my dad taught me to fish and that I fished almost weekly until I was 18 and left for university. I still fish it a couple of times a year, I went there yesterday and there was a thin layer of ice on it not good for fly-fishing. The Pond is the background for the shadow box. I planned on doing streamers and drys but a botched ebay auction left me without the hackle I wanted, so streamers and nymphs it is. The streamers got kind squished in transit so they aren't as nice as I hoped they would be. Anyways here is the final product. These things are hard to photograph at least for me.

2157254084_ce25b3582a_b.jpg

Excellent presentation. I'm assuming you and/or your dad lost a lot of flies on your backcasts? ;)

Yes there a number of dead snags that seem to pop up and grab your fly on the backcast. Tomorrow is my dad's birthday I will let you all know how it goes.

My dad loved it. He has a good friend who teachs a fly-fishing course and he kept saying how he was going to quiz him on what the patterns were. Half of them are customized so he probably won't get the exact names. Anyways thanks everyone who helped with the patterns. I will do this again however probably not soon, it was very time consuming.