Fly Fusion Forums

What A Great Idea

hydropsyche

Has anyone ever heard of doing this to strengthen herl (besides you, Don. Did you come up with that yourself?)?

CFF

Read the part about how Don uses a loop with the herl and twists both with hackle pliers.

When I first read this, I though "that can't be much different then the old trick of wrapping your thread around the 3 herls".

Well, Don just sent me some macramé and I thought I'd tie up some CFF's as per his instruction. When I started twisting the herl with the loop, I quickly saw the difference. The thread grips and tightens the herl shafts so tightly, you can't tell the "rope" is actually made up of three herls. It looks like one rope. I don't know for sure if it will be any stronger but it sure looks like it would be. 100 wraps of thread about .5inches of herl has got to be more tooth resistant then 10. And it looks as good, if not better, then the simple wrap-with-thread method. The shafts are compressed while the barbules still stick out.

I probably haven't described what I saw correctly, but the next time you are putting herl on any fly, give this method a try and you will see what I'm talking about. Like me, you might not ever use the wrap method anymore.

Guys,

The plan was to make a fly that floated and lasted. Both were accomplished. Hence the name 100 fish fly. [ C is roman numeral for 100, F is for fish and second F is for fly]

If you really want dubbing to hold, use a loop of thread + the herl [ or dubbing] + a stand of light wire. Twist together. Pheasant Tail nymphs really work well using this technique. Similarly, I've added loops of Flashabou into the thread loop as well.

Tough flies are GOOD!

catch ya'

Don

Guys,

To make the dubbing or herl last longer, I use a twister I built utilizing a Matterelli hackle plier that broke. I placed a Sunrise Hackle plier into the chrome loop and pinched just enough to hold it there. The Sunrise hackle plier has crappy jaws. To repair, I slid a piece of small heat shrink tubing onto each jaw and shrank using a heat gun. The shrink tubing is available from Radio Shack.

The bodkin is make from pieces of cane rod that didn't make the grade. A decent length of needle + 30 minute epoxy finished it off.

catch ya'

Don

post-206-1198945819.jpg