Fly Fusion Forums

Lower Waterton drift questions?

I've been very interested in drifting the tailwater section of the Waterton and am wondering if anyone out there has any experience with floating this stretch of river? I've got a 13ft NRS raft w/fishing frame that great for tough access and low water conditions. I'm wondering about the time/distance covered during the normal post run off conditions, is it a long one day or needs 2 days? Is there a place to take out before the bridge crossing north of Glenwood? Any info would be greatly appreciated 

• Like 1

There isn't really anywhere else to get out unless you're willing to go talk to landowners, as there isnt any direct roads to the river. The guy that runs the RV joint at the bridge above Glenwood has definitely chased off people trying to use the campsite to pull their boats out, so either talk to him ahead of time (and be prepped to pay a camping fee to get your boat out), or to slide it up the road allowance at the bridge..Which is not a small bank.  Moreso, the stuff below the dam gets hot, FAST in the summer.... turns more into a walleye river then trout pretty quick in my experience

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bcubed said:

There isn't really anywhere else to get out unless you're willing to go talk to landowners, as there isnt any direct roads to the river. The guy that runs the RV joint at the bridge above Glenwood has definitely chased off people trying to use the campsite to pull their boats out, so either talk to him ahead of time (and be prepped to pay a camping fee to get your boat out), or to slide it up the road allowance at the bridge..Which is not a small bank.  Moreso, the stuff below the dam gets hot, FAST in the summer.... turns more into a walleye river then trout pretty quick in my experience

thanks for the info! how long is the drift? I'm thinking a very long day

The irrigation district also has a habit of shutting the water pretty much off to the river at the dam and diverting all the water to the Belly, then------> St. Mary's river. In other words, screw the trout and give the water to the farmers.

13 hours ago, jayanderson said:

thanks for the info! how long is the drift? I'm thinking a very long day

Ive never drifted it, its too low and slow for that in my mind. I have been camping at that campground and watch him chase off anglers though. I would suspect that would be a rather heinously long day particularly once you add in a shuttle