Fly Fusion Forums

Roof Top Tent

I am starting to look at roof top tents. Have read a lot on the internet about them. Does anyone on here have one? What vehicle and rack system do you have? It looks like I will need a very solid rack for my SUV or Nissan Frontier. I have a canopy on my Frontier that I really like but I don't think it would support a roof top tent on top.

Just wondering what the appeal is these days for roof top tents. 

Correct me if I’m wrong but if you set up camp for a weekend say down on the oldman, every time you want to go fish a different section of the river do you not have to take the tent down and pull all your sleeping gear out of it? 

Wouldnt it be easier and less hassle to have a regular tent? Or am I missing something here? 

You don't have to take your bedding out of the tent when you pack it up, which is also a bonus if you have to set up camp in the rain. It takes me 5-10 minutes to fully set up or take down by myself. There are lots of benefits over a regular tent, like not having to find flat ground, no worries about waking up in a puddle, don't have issues with cold ground, one less thing to pack inside your vehicle. There are tradeoffs and they aren't anyone's cup of tea, but I'll never go back to a ground tent at this point.

I sleep in my truck box with canopy with home made bed setup. Definately can get a little condensation going on. I leave the slider window open a bit between the cab and cap which really helps. I use a tarp on homemade attachment out behind truck for when im cooking or just for sitting around.

I use one of those alarms you can hang on the door knob in hotels for rear tailgate and hatch setup. Very few false alarms as its not super sensitive. Had it work for me a time or two actually. Who ever it was i only got a glimpse as they were running off.  

39 minutes ago, reset said:

I sleep in my truck box with canopy with home made bed setup. Definately can get a little condensation going on. I leave the slider window open a bit between the cab and cap which really helps. I use a tarp on homemade attachment out behind truck for when im cooking or just for sitting around.

I use one of those alarms you can hang on the door knob in hotels for rear tailgate and hatch setup. Very few false alarms as its not super sensitive. Had it work for me a time or two actually. Who ever it was i only got a glimpse as they were running off.  

Like for when you're asleep or what? Never thought i needed an alarm for it

2 hours ago, BurningChrome said:

You don't have to take your bedding out of the tent when you pack it up, which is also a bonus if you have to set up camp in the rain. It takes me 5-10 minutes to fully set up or take down by myself. There are lots of benefits over a regular tent, like not having to find flat ground, no worries about waking up in a puddle, don't have issues with cold ground, one less thing to pack inside your vehicle. There are tradeoffs and they aren't anyone's cup of tea, but I'll never go back to a ground tent at this point.

Marc, what do you do for leveling out if you park in uneven ground? Just curious?

P

1 hour ago, bcubed said:

Like for when you're asleep or what? Never thought i needed an alarm for it

You wouldnt need it as your setup looks like a tent and i doubt anyone would dare to look in there in case someone is home. Mine is just a pickup with a canopy.

Yeah i just hang the alarm on a little hook inside the canopy lid just in case somebody hasnt figured out im sleeping in there. Guess maybe if i left the tarp up they would figure that, but I usually only put tarp up when im going to use it. Its not up all the time im parked there. I just roll it up and throw it in the box during the day or when im going to sleep. So most wouldnt probably be aware im camping in it. I dont like surprises hence the alarm.