Fly Fusion Forums

It's Official - The Entire Bow River Watershed Has Been Infected With Whirling Disease,

ÜberFly

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-cfia-bow-river-watershed-whirling-disease-1.3976875

The entire Bow River Watershed has been infected with whirling disease, the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) has declared, prompting new province-wide measures to try to contain the spread.

The disease can cause infected fish — predominantly trout and whitefish — to swim in a whirling pattern and die prematurely.

The agency has also declared the rest of the province a "buffer zone" for the disease.

Inside the buffer zone, provincial acquaculture facilities and Class A fish farms will have to test fish for whirling disease.

They will also have to implement "approved biosecurity protocols" in order to obtain a permit from the agency to stock fish from the infected area — which includes all streams, creeks, lakes and rivers that feed into the Bow River.

whirling-disease.PNG

This map shows the area of Alberta declared infected with whirling disease. (CFIA)

Last August, the first case of whirling disease was confirmed in Banff's Johnson Lake. Since then, cases of the disease have been detected at a number of additional locations in the Bow River in southern Alberta.

The spread of the disease has led to quarantines for commercial fish operations and wreaked havoc on owners who make a living cultivating fish.

The CFIA says its declaration does not currently affect fishing in the Bow River, and that there are no health concerns for people who use the bodies of water that contain whirling disease — or for those who eat fish that have contracted the disease.

There is no treatment available for whirling disease. Rather, the CFIA says it is focused on containment and prevention.

"Inside the buffer zone, provincial acquaculture facilities and Class A fish farms will have to test fish for whirling disease"

Perhaps they should have been doing this already...? Im unsure about the requirements for testing, but this seems like something that should have been done consistently since WD first showed its head in the states 20 years ago

...and it's hard to imagine it not being in the Oldman and Red Deer systems before long. I hate to be fatalistic, but if those waters escape unscathed it will be nothing short of a small miracle.

It's probably in the oldman drainage..they just havent got the testing done down there yet. Red deer might be a tad bit safer just cause the rivers dont connect, but with the number of anglers in Calgary, and the vicinity to the Red Deer drainage, i'd suspect it's there as well

My opinion. Whirling Disease has been here for some time.

In the Bow River? Confirmed!.

In the Oldman Drainage ? Yes - but not confirmed!

Will we see Armageddon? No, The fishery will survive. If 2016 was an example of what to expect, we will see fewer 10" -18" fish and an increase in truly exceptional specimens.

• Like 3

If 2016 was an example of what to expect, we will see fewer 10" -18" fish and an increase in truly exceptional specimens.

I fishery with few small fish is not a good thing. Since WD impacts small fish, it would be really concerning if the scenario you described came true. I'd sleep easier seeing healthy numbers of recent recruits.

• Like 1

Was at a meeting with AEP that the city hosted earlier this week.

So far, it's only been found in the Bow and Bow Drainage proper, and anywhere that could be suspectible should be tested by April.

The current advice is to Clean, Drain and Dry all gear, particularly waders.

They HIGHLY recommended that everyone should have a 'Bow river' pair of waders/boots/etc, and a pair for elsewhere so you're not transferring. Everything else should be washed thoroughly with extremely hot water (80-90C).

I'll be setting a pair of waders and boots aside as my Bow River set, until further notice, at a minimum.

• Like 4

Was at a meeting with AEP that the city hosted earlier this week.

So far, it's only been found in the Bow and Bow Drainage proper, and anywhere that could be suspectible should be tested by April.

The current advice is to Clean, Drain and Dry all gear, particularly waders.

They HIGHLY recommended that everyone should have a 'Bow river' pair of waders/boots/etc, and a pair for elsewhere so you're not transferring. Everything else should be washed thoroughly with extremely hot water (80-90C).

I'll be setting a pair of waders and boots aside as my Bow River set, until further notice, at a minimum.

Great call bcube. I will be doing the same. Hopefully everyone follows this advice to help prevent the spread this to unaffected drainages, particularly ones with vulnerable native species.

Great call bcube. I will be doing the same. Hopefully everyone follows this advice to help prevent the spread this to unaffected drainages, particularly ones with vulnerable native species.

And should still be washing between trips, regardless of which set. Biggest thing is the mud that gets stuck on the bottom of wading boots. Lots of opportunity to transfer tubifex worms

Also a learnt a couple new things, did you know if they check your boat on the highway and it has the plugs in (regardless if dry), you're getting a ticket