Fly Fusion Forums

Question Related To Small Animals In Bnp

Deb and I had a great xc ski up on Pipestone Loop (Lake Louise area) yesterday (December 31st)... One thing we noticed was an EXTREME lack of animal tracks (rabbits, rodents, fox, etc.) compared to skiing within the Kananaskis (Elk Pass) area recently... Come to think of it, I don't think I noticed ANY animal tracks on or around the trail yesterday... Does anyone know why (or want to speculate)? Is it due to the predator/prey ratio or is something else going on in BNP?

Curious?

Peter

From Rob (PipestoneFlyGuy) who works for Parks...

I suspect you are on the mark with predatory populations, there are tons of bears, coyotes and wolves in the area and it is becoming rare to spot undulates and other large prey, makes sense small animals would see an impact - that is my best guess anyway, data support is usually a few years behind but that is an obvious conclusion one can make from casual observation.

Maybe it was too bloody cold for them. I sure wouldn't venture out in these god-forsaken temps if I didn't have to. :P We did a short trip in Waterton over the holiday, on a reasonably warmer day, and even then noticed much fewer signs of wildlife than in years past. A few rabbit tracks, and that was it. There weren't even any of the resident jays at Cameron Lake begging for food like they normally are.

Maybe they heard all about the free Passes for the National Parks this year and figured screw that I'm out of here before the unwashed hoards show up!!!

Maybe it was too bloody cold for them. I sure wouldn't venture out in these god-forsaken temps if I didn't have to. :P We did a short trip in Waterton over the holiday, on a reasonably warmer day, and even then noticed much fewer signs of wildlife than in years past. A few rabbit tracks, and that was it. There weren't even any of the resident jays at Cameron Lake begging for food like they normally are.

I have spent a lot of tine snowshoeing around the great divide road the past couple of weeks I am seeing lots and lots of snowshoe hare and pine Martin tracks. I even came across mountain lion track a week ago. Though I haven't been around the pipestone could you have been there after a fresh snow fall???