Fly Fusion Forums

Bamboo Rods

mditel

Hello

I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice regarding bamboo rods. A non fishing friend of mine was given 2 bamboo fly rods and said they were mine for whatever I determined to be a fair price.The name on the wooden box is International Fishing Tackle Port Colbert but there isn't a name on the rods. I have researched the brand but nothing comes up. In fact the closest that I can determine to be the location of the brand is a town in France. I have read articles on how to evaluate bamboo rods but I am no wiser regarding the relative value of these rods. Searches on websites have produced a range of prices, which is not helpful in determining the value of these rods. I haven't tried casting them which I realize might be helpful. Is there anything that anyone can suggest to help me determine the value of these rods? post-278-0-99623000-1481569735_thumb.jpg Thanks

Mike

Tough to say without sharp close up pictures of the rod, especially the grip area and wraps. Rods with no marking or logos don't tend to go for a much. There seems to be both a casting rod and a fly rod. It seems that the sections are all different lengths. normally rods are made to the same length and with 2w tips. Again it's really hard to tell what you have from this picture.

Anyone who evaluates Bamboo will want good pix or ideally to see the rod. The hardware and wraps are often telling.

Cane Rods are an interesting subject. I've done appraisals on a good many from very valuable to tomato stakes and everything in between. Collector value is in the brand, that is, certain makers are more collectable than others. Rods made in England and America tend to top the market. The other thing is the condition, no gouges or marks, no frayed or rewrapped areas or bent guides. The original rod tube, sock and paperwork will go a long way to adding to the value. I've often looked at rods for people who where convinced that Grampas battered old Bamboo will bring enough to retire on. most of the time it might bring enough for a family trip to McDonalds.

There is sometimes huge sentimental value in Cane and often people will pay to restore a product even though the value might not be there. More for the feeing of tradition and love than as a fishing tool. Something to hang on the wall and dream of the past. I have a couple of rods that both my Day and Gramps fished, and I still occasionally take them out to walk and fish the same way. Three generations of hands on the same cork is a nice feeling.

If a fly rod was a high end product back in the day it was made and had a good name maker it could be valuable today. Not many could afford those rods back then, they are valuable now if in pristine condition. There was another class fo rods known to collectors as blue collar rods. These where affordable to the average Joe and many are remarkably wonderful casting fishing tools. They claim much less in the way of collector value. I have a few of of these and have re-wrapped a few abused cane rods to make nice products again. Some of the cheaper brands for example, might have good cane and tapers but had fewer guides and poor hardware. It's a bit of a rocky road and the price of all vintage products have dropped quite a bit in the last few years.

Lastly are the many that where made with inferior bamboo, poor tapers, and often mass produced offshore post war. More for show and quick sale than for actual use. These might look nice and have a place hanging on a wall.

I also might mention present day bamboo fly rod makers. Again there are a few who produce remarkable products and are craftsmen to the extreme. I have been lucky to fish a few of these magic sticks.

Bamboo rods have a nostaglia about them that romanticizes the whole sport of fly fishing when simpler times existed. I have not had the good fortune of casting a bamboo rod (especially a quality one) but it certainly evokes an image of fly fishing in the past. Thanks for your response, Lorence.

It looks like a combo bamboo rod kit that came out of Japan after WW2. The quality was not that great and they don't bring a very high value on the resale market. They used to go for under $100 on Ebay..

Mike

X2

I had one of these sets at one time and turned it into a 3 tip casting rod.

The ferrules are not that sturdy also and look at the glue lines between the strips

mditel,

When I bought my first bamboo rod in 1958 or 59, I got one for $3.00. Ones similar to yours were $5.00. As Riconus said, they were post war Japanese rods of poor quality. The rods are worth whatever the market will bear. To give you some idea of what is out there, I wandered over to EBay and found these:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Mayflower-Bamboo-Fishing-Rod-7-pieces-NICE-/221939913269?hash=item33aca65235:g:NmYAAOSwcdBWRWeg

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Vintage-GRAMPUS-Split-Bamboo-FLY-FISHING-ROD-Casting-ROD-6-RODS-in-ONE-RARE-/172276631692?hash=item281c7cc88c:g:HKcAAOSwhOVXdZzK

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Vintage-Bamboo-Fly-Spin-Fishing-Rod-by-Orient-Japan-Late-1940s-Original-Box-/162316012414?hash=item25cac9cb7e:g:4DsAAOSwPCVX9~B8

All are similar to what you have.

However, without seeing the equipment in person, that is a best quess.

Good luck with the sale.

Don

• Like 1