Fly Fusion Forums

Calgary Storm Pond Sadness

From the TU Bow River Chapter:

"http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/city-storm-ponds-swimming-in-fish-that-should-not-be-there

Many of these storm ponds drain into the Bow River and could provide big challenges for our fishery. City fines for releasing fish into a storm pond can be up to $3,000, and penalties under the Alberta Fisheries Act can climb up to $100,000.
If you see anyone releasing fish into storm ponds in Calgary call 311 or Report a Poacher (1-800-642-3800) immediately."

Simplelist easist way would be shut off the aerators..it may not kill them all.It will send to messages the smell of the dead fish,then The Media ..With the explanation,WHY.Don't even think about this either,they are virutually private waters,let them clean it up !!!

There are a few storm ponds that run aerators to control smells. When the ice traps decaying organic materials in a storm pond it can lead to some REALLY nasty smells once the thaw starts.

Pike aren't the answer. I'm not sure we should be introducing something else to deal with an introduced problem. Time to start fining the hell out of people.

• Like 1

I have heard that it is a cultural thing that brings good "luck" when things are going poorly.

A huge fine would be the best way to stop the practice. Money seems to be a good motivator for changing behavior

We've also heard this at The City. There are other jurisdictions that have created space to allow for this to happen. Sometimes creating a controlled environment stops the problem from ever getting into places that might eventually drain into our waterways.

So how would a few mature pike not solve this problem? Native..in the bow... ravenous

That or they just rotenone them once a year.

I see the pike situation working out like the first one in the video. "Parents releasing Fred once he got too big for the tank."

Storm pond in my community has had prussian carp since it was filled with water in 2007, september 2016 was cities first attempt for population assessment in the pond. 9 years since my neighbour and myself reported it. We did continue to call in every year since. I did fish it few times and caught couple dozen prussian carp. Tiny red marabou leech took care of them.

City office knows these problems exist but keep quiet until more people react.

Irrigation office in Prairies has been knowingly spreading prussian carp for decades between red deer river and bow/ssr irrigation canals. Seasons are getting warmer and we now see a population explosion.

• Like 1

Would that be Serviceberry creek? That's where it all went downhill in 1995. Since the 95 flood carp have taken a stronghold in that area. Some info i gathered from eastern european fisherman points back to that period. Dugouts that held perch became carp breeding haven.

Irrigation ditches start with water from Chestermere and head east-northeast. One of these ditches is where the carp got dumped ( I believe NW of Strathmore). Then the water moves NE to Serviceberry to Rosebud to the Red Deer river. Carp could spread all over the irrigation system. With buckets they can get everywhere....like Blood Indian Res out in the desert