Fly Fusion Forums

Spey Vs Switch For Trout

What "weight" are you planning on running? A long rod gets heavy on the wrist and arm fast,especially with all that grain weight running through the guides, making for a tiresome nymphing experience. Since switch rods tend to be shorter, it might be better for nymphing "comfort-wise", yet still good for high sticking at 10-11 feet long.

A 4/5 switch with a scandi line might work well. I think A skagit system is too heavy and clunky for all the mending of indicator fishing. The head is shorter and once it's out the guides, you have no body to work with. With the scandi There should still be enough to turn over a moderately heavy tip to get you down in winter, but I wouldn't bank on hucking monster streamers.

I've never used "speydicator" type lines. But would be interested in hearing about it.

Gotta ask (as i always do when this topic comes up), why do you want a spey/switch if you're primarily nymphing (which it seems that is what you're saying). Most guys have this vision of bombing an indie to the middle of the river, but in real life that is pretty unrealistic (and not necessary).

• Like 1

Looking at a 5 or 6. I want something that can cast a nymph rig with little effort.

Yeah, really give that 5 extra consideration. that rod will feel lively for most bow fish but still work if you go down south for summer runs. 6 is a touch heavy for the bow, but that's what I fish.

Hey BC, what's that opst line like for overhead casting? What's the sink tip situation like?

I haven't tried overhead casting it. The Indicator line actually works pretty good if you want to overhead cast a streamer with polyleaders. I only use two tips with the OPST though - a 10' full sinking light MOW and a 10' intermediate light iMOW. Anything much more than that and the head just won't turn it over well.

I have a 10.5 switch 5wt and love it. I originally had it setup with a RIO switch line, which maybe it ok at doing everything. right now I have a compact Skagit line and love it. Spey cast down stream then switch lines and work a nymph rig or large dry dropper upstream.

I nymph with a single hand rod And focus on the first 20-30 feet if water. I know I don't have to throw really far to get into fish or anything like that, I just want the double hand to cover that stuff as sometimes it would be nice to have a longer rod for mending etc. Primary use will be swinging leeches and smaller streamers.

I think what's worth noting is that as small (10.5' to 12') two handed rods get shorter they get more difficult to spey cast. There is really not much difference between a switch or small spey other than length. If you think you might occasionally cast single hand err towards the shorter side. If you are buying just for swinging you might choose something longer. In my experience 11' to 11'6 is a real enjoyable length for a small two hander.

I have a 10.5 switch 5wt and love it. I originally had it setup with a RIO switch line, which maybe it ok at doing everything. right now I have a compact Skagit line and love it. Spey cast down stream then switch lines and work a nymph rig or large dry dropper upstream.

Thanks for the feedback. I will use it mostly for swinging leeches etc. but want a rod that can toss indicators too.

I think what's worth noting is that as small (10.5' to 12') two handed rods get shorter they get more difficult to spey cast. There is really not much difference between a switch or small spey other than length. If you think you might occasionally cast single hand err towards the shorter side. If you are buying just for swinging you might choose something longer. In my experience 11' to 11'6 is a real enjoyable length for a small two hander.

Yes I will primarily be swinging with it anyway . I think Geoff Pieroway has a couple nice 11' switch rods in the shop.

With all due respect, I'd argue that it's not "harder" to twohand a smaller rod, you just have to expect a little less distance out of it. Mechanics all the same, timing a little different.

If you can sh Spey cast or are a proficient roll caster-someone who understands anchor mechanics, the transition won't be too painful. A few YouTube vids and you're golden.

baemf, I have been assuming you haven't done much two hand stuff to this point. If I'm mistaken, I apologize for rambling.

Good luck with your purchase.

With all due respect, I'd argue that it's not "harder" to twohand a smaller rod, you just have to expect a little less distance out of it. Mechanics all the same, timing a little different.

If you can sh Spey cast or are a proficient roll caster-someone who understands anchor mechanics, the transition won't be too painful. A few YouTube vids and you're golden.

baemf, I have been assuming you haven't done much two hand stuff to this point. If I'm mistaken, I apologize for rambling.

Good luck with your purchase.

I haven't owned a two hander yet, but have played around with some. I definitely have some good applications for one though. Hopefully I will go ahead and get one soon. Thanks for the info guys, I'll hopefully have some more to share if I go ahead with it.

• 3 weeks later...

My first 2 hander 12 years ago, was a 13'9" Loop Blue spey rod. I was at the time suffering from tendonitis in my right elbow ("tennis elbow"). It had become an excursion into new territories of pain every time I went fishing and more so when I tried to cast an 8 wt. for coho. The tempo and easy motion of a 2 hander was the perfect solution. Since that time, I have sold my Loop and the reel and line. In its place, I have added 3 switch rods, a 10'9" Redington Dually 4wt, an 11' Amundson Wind Warrior 6wt and an 11'9" Sage Method 7wt. These 3 rods can cover any of the big water situations I find myself in. One of the things I have found with these rods, the line weights don't correspond to the same lone weights in a shorter single hander. I wouldn't hesitate to use my 4 wt switch any place I would normally use a 5 or 6 wt single, including on the Bow, the 6 wt switch on any fish I would target with a 7 or even 8 wt single and the 7wt, the only fish I would hesitate to use it to target would be a spring salmon or perhaps winter run steel.

I use a Rio Switchchuker on all of them and have no complaints with any. The lines match up equally well with appropriate Mow tips or polytips. I still fish my single handers (my tendonitis finally succumbed to a single shot of Cortisone, after i spent 3 years suffering), as none of these switches are very comfortable bush whacking the rivers and I still can't bring myself to give up my chironomid set-up. While I can bomb casts of over 100' with any of them, the real advantage of these rods lies in the ease of casting, I can fish all day with no fatigue (and at my age, that is an important consideration) and have the the fly in the water most of the time. They can all handle much larger flies, including streamers, that an equally rated single hander and I have the option of much longer casts in my quiver, if I should need it.

I like a full spey better than a switch although the G Lomis Roaring River Switch I own does cross the line nicely. I've had and passed on several but my fav is still my Meiser without question. I do like overhand casting and the ability to bomb out a fly without effort. Really nice for bigger waters like the Bow or Thompson in BC. Also great for beach fishing for Sea run cutties at the coast adn of course steelhead and salmon.

I prefer a fast action 12'-12"6" spey rod, in a 6wt., for fishing the Bow. Gets pretty windy sometimes and you need to create high line speed to maintain control and that's what gets it done for me. Effortless. I also like casting many other switch/spey rods with a variety of lengths/actions/line systems. I have fished dozens of different switches and spey rods in just about every length/weight/action made, but my favorite to date is still the Loop Goran Anderson Series 6120. Though there are many great sticks that are similar in performance from a variety of manufacturers.

• Like 3