Fly Fusion Forums

True Emerger

albannachxcuileag

As a few of you might know, I have had a few madcap ideas in the past and this is a recurring one that is getting nearer to the finalised article every time I revisit it.

I have wanted to design a true emerger where we have a shuck in the subsurface and a fly emerging on the surface. Here I have managed to get a little bit closer with the idea albeit a little scruffy and inconsistent.

I have plans for a small jig for creating the fly part and the temporary one that I used for this proves that the idea works and can be viable.

So watch this space!

DSCF0363.jpg

This effort does not give the result that I wanted but has a more balanced look about it. I should have left more of a gap between the shuck part and the fly part but, Hey! Rome was not built in a day!

Apologies for the colour cast as I could not be arsed to set the white balance!

DSCF0364.jpg

Looking at this and comparing it with the video of a hatching insect that gave me the idea still leaves a little to be desired but once the jig is up and running I can replicate the fly part a lot easier than the current method allows.

Well, I have been back at this again and it is getting to have the look that I am after now, just a few more tweaks and it should be there. Going to give this and his mates a swim sometime this week.

TrueEmerger.jpg

Taking another look at this and I can see what is needed to get what I want in it.

If I double up the legs at the thorax area then it will seem more natural, the mixture of glister and dark dun spectrablend seems to give a better appearance to the shuck portion of the fly.

Moving the emergence point further up the hook shank should make it look the part.

OK, back to the drawing board, or in this case, back to the jig.

killer looking flies dude....lets make a deal..ill send ya halfdozen packs of umbrealla hooks(they will blow ur mind dude) if u send me a few of them patterns...PM me ur mailing address if u wish..i will try and dig our the umbrella cripple hooks too if i have any left...

• 1 month later...
Not knowing what they are, I haven't!

I am using Partridge Klinkhamer Extremes now as there is a lot more room for experimenting on, for a size 14 it is massive!

I think he means what we over this side of the pond call a keel hook, like the ones John Goddard was using to do the polywing midge, remember the upside down fly? I'll dig a picture out and show you :)