Fly Fusion Forums

Watch A Couple Of These Vids..

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who cares they slit it open... I think the most productive thing would be to post suggestive comments that point out their errors in fish handling.

I have a feeling rather than stopping what their doing they just wouldn’t take as many pictures and video's of it.

I am not trying to be arguementative (sp) but limit of 5 on whities everywhere on the bow means there is absolutely nothing illegal in slitting one open....... This thread is imho very elitist and despite the fact that I like to treat my fish a bit better then they do they have broken no rules that I have seen and they appear to be catch and release anglers (well on the trout anyways) which is better then poachers...... Like fisher26 said I feel that these are the sort of guys that may be reachable with communication and and constructive comments....... Name calling is not gonna help....... Just my opinion though.

Just outta curiosity does anyone know what sort of an increase in mortality one would see in a bleeding fish as opposed to one that is not bleeding?

But yeah they should really invest in a net and seeing the one guys big screen tv you gotta wonder why they don't have one

Bow River (see Map below )

from Banff National Park downstream to Hwy 1 Bridge near Canmore & tributaries except Canmore and Policeman creeks – Open all year.

Apr. 1 to Mar. 31 – Brook Trout limit 2; Other trout limit 0; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Maggots are the only bait allowed and only in the river from Aug. 16 to Oct. 31.

from Hwy 1 Bridge downstream to Pigeon Creek, & tributaries

Apr. 1 to Sept. 30 – Brook Trout limit 2; Other trout limit 0; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Maggots are the only bait allowed and only in the river from Aug. 16 to Sept. 30.

Oct. 1 to Mar. 31 – CLOSED

from Pigeon Creek downstream to the first dam below Hwy 1X Bridge (near Seebe) including reservoir, & tributaries except the Kananaskis River – Open all year.

Apr. 1 to Mar. 31 – Brook Trout limit 2; Other trout limit 0; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Maggots are the only bait allowed and only in the river from Aug. 16 to Oct. 31.

from the first dam below Hwy 1X downstream to Bearspaw Reservoir (not including the reservoir), & tributaries except Ghost River and Jumpingpound Creek

Apr. 1 to June 15 – Trout limit 0; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Bait Ban

June 16 to Oct. 31 – Trout limit 2 over 35 cm; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Maggots are the only bait allowed and only in the river from Aug. 16 to Oct. 31.

Nov. 1 to Mar. 31 – CLOSED

from Bearspaw Dam downstream to Western Headworks Diversion (W.H.D.) Weir (including the Elbow River below Glenmore Reservoir).

CLOSED Apr. 1 to May 31 and Oct. 1 to Nov. 30

June 1 to Sept. 30 and Dec. 1 to Mar. 31 – Trout limit 1 under 35 cm; All trout over 35 cm must be released; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Maggots are the only bait allowed and only in the river from Aug. 16 to Sept. 30.

from the Western Headworks Diversion (W.H.D.) Weir downstream to the Carseland Weir (includes

500 m of the Highwood River) but excluding all waters in the Inglewood Bird Sanctuary (see Inglewood Bird Sanctuary) – Open all year.

Apr. 1 to Mar. 31 – Trout limit 1 under 35 cm; All trout over 35 cm must be released; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Bait Ban.

from Carseland Weir downstream to the Hwy 24 Bridge (downstream side)

CLOSED Apr. 1 to May 31 and Oct. 1 to Nov. 30

June 1 to Sept. 30 and Dec. 1 to Mar. 31 – Trout limit 1 under 35 cm; All trout over 35 cm must be released; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Pike limit 3 (no size limit); Bait Ban.

from Hwy 24 Bridge downstream to Bassano Dam, including Bassano Reservoir (Fish Management Zone 2, Watershed Unit PP1) – Open all year.

Apr. 1 to Mar. 31 – Trout limit 1 under 35 cm; All trout over 35 cm must be released; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Pike limit 3 over 63 cm; Bait Ban.

Lonefisher....juss quickly looked up an article and its quoting prior studies on the effects of bleeding fish and mortality rates. A study with rainbow trout indicated a 16% mortality rate with catch and release fishing, no bleeding, but 40% when bleeding. A study with cutthroats found 6.5% mortality rate with no bleeding, and 52.8% with bleeding. Personally I think these are both low, Ive always heard from other fishermen that if you let a fish go and its bleeding, chances are its not gonna make it.

Hey Guys

Do what you will, but I will mention that the one big lesson on learned on the FFA site was attacking them (or calling them out) on the internet will probably just cause them to dig in their heels. It seem these guys just might respond to a little diplomacy and/or tact - they are putting themselves out there on the net, I would assume they wouldn't be doing this if they were aware their actions would bring them under harsh critisism within the fishing community. Reality is, for the most part, our previous generations handled fish with about as much respect as a rubber chicken, maybe these guys are doing what they were taught. For a surprising amount of anglers, fish handling skills are viewed as nothing more than "government BS" stuck on the regs to appease the granola crowd. Peer pressure can be a powerful tool if used properly.

Anyway just a suggestion, could be a waste of time, but could be worth a shot - don't know...

As for the slit open fish - I can't speak to their intent If I am keeping a fish, which I do a couple times a year, I kill it right away, - letting it die slowly allows lactic acid to accumulate in its system taking away from the taste. (and anything we can do to reduce critism from the ever growing Peta crowd is prolly not a bad thing, either, tastiness aside LOL)

Not quite sure I wanna wade into this thread,but,damn the torpedoes-full speed ahead!

Guess I'm kinda leaning toward Pipestone & LoneFisher's school of thought on this one.

I've been following this forum,as well as a few others for a while,and I've noticed this-

when someone offers constructive criticism in a manner that can only be construed as

"trying to help",the person being offered the criticism/advice takes it for what it is,and

thanks the person who offered said advice.However,when Fisherman A tells Fisherman B

"You're an idiot!",Fisherman B promptly tells A,"F*** off & mind ya bizness!" This then leads

to one or the other offering some sort of physical injury to the other chap,should they

have a chance encounter on a local river in the near future.

Is it just me,or does the old saying about catching more flies with honey than with vinegar

apply here? Can't we all just get along?Spread the love, save the fish, hug a spinfisherman!

-The Gospel According to Bob Loblaw,Chapter 7,Verses 3-9-

This thread is imho very elitist and despite the fact that I like to treat my fish a bit better then they do they have broken no rules that I have seen and they appear to be catch and release anglers (well on the trout anyways) which is better then poachers...... Like fisher26 said I feel that these are the sort of guys that may be reachable with communication and and constructive comments....... Name calling is not gonna help....... Just my opinion though.

Agreed. There is nothing constructive to come from flaming. I'm sure most of you were educated on how to handle fish properly. I myself had to go through a period of leaning proper handling, having been taught "cruder older" methods of handling fish. Look back at your older pictures, many will see a few gill grippers and lip rippers. I see a lot worse than this every saturday morning on many conventional fishing shows using barbed hooks and lipping fish to the horizontal position. People see this behavior on tv and assume it's the norm. Perhaps a couple nicely worded posts would let these guys know people are watching and would like to see them improve upon their handling practices. The thing is, because they are in the public eye, they are setting an example. Peer pressure is pretty powerful.

Yeah I'm starting to feel like an idiot myself for starting this thread. I was just irritated at the fact that these guys are posting these videos and acting like professionals, other people are watching and thinking they are professionals, and therefore "learning" from them.

AND the fact that, according to their blog, they're taking people out and guiding them.

Either way, I'm not going to post on their blog calling them idiots, and I'm not going to offer suggestions either because I'm a brand new fly fisherman myself and still have lots to learn.

I'd almost rather if the admins just pull this thread and we not speak of it again! :)

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

If you've ever ripped a huge streamer into the face of a bully(C&R only),should you be ripping these guys a new one for using

trebles?

If you've ever driven a bigass SJ into a cutty, or hooked a rainbow by the eye ball,should you be castigating these guys for

their sins against our finned brethren?

If you've ever released a fish you could have legally kept,even tho' you thought it might not survive,just because it was less

hassle than carrying, cleaning & cooking it,should you be lookin' down your nose at these guys?

I say "Nay, brothers & sisters!"

Let us instead try to lead them to path of righteousness/flyfishing,and help them see the light.Can I get an "Amen!"?

Let us lead them to this forum,that they may learn new ways to take photos of fish,and how to capture that spectacular

scenery shot.

If we still feel the need to be "holier than thou",look no further than the one fella's hairstyle-frosted tips & all! Grrrrrr,Baby!

-The Gospel According to Bob Loblaw, Chapter 8, Verses 1-11

Peace out!!!

Wow! I really got to work on my typin' skillz,Yo!

While I was whipping up my last 2-fingered masterpiece, 3 guys posted stuff right in line with mine.

Ya'll are making me look redundant! Seriously,tho', glad to see more conciliatory attitude being shown.

Elitist flyfishermen? I think not! GROUP HUG!!!!

AMEN ! - RAOTFLMFAO - I almost coffee'd the keyboard again !

I've got a pic of me holding a whitefish that makes Birchy's look like a minnow (no BS), but I have never posted it due to the 6 walleye also on the same stringer (I'm a reformed heathen, shame shame shame, on thee - can I get a hisssss) - at the time everything about that pic was legal and acceptable but regs and philosophy's change, so I didn't want to "seemingly" send the wrong message by posting such a horrible pic by our evolving standards.

Birchy don't hack on yourself - what is important here is that 1) You noticed what they were doing, 2) you cared enough to bring it to the attention of others, 3) You are willing to take action to fix the issue.

It is prefectly OK for you to contact these guys and suggest how they could do things better - doesn't matter how long you've been fishing - a persons level of experience does not alter right and wrong ! as a matter of fact you'll find the newest anglers are often the most informed on best practices. For many "experienced" anglers their learning began and ended with learning how to catch fish - end of story.

If someone (or yourself) educated these fellas a little as a result of your post - every fish they handle properly and don't kill as a result will be thanks to your caring and effort - same goes for every habit their internet viewers learn from them as well - kudos to ya - you have nothing to regret !

• 1 year later...

I have read your reply to this thread and you guys truly make me laugh. Have you ever caught a trout deeply and it is bleeding, "Fly" or "Rapala". I checked the regs for Alberta, "Bow River" and it clearly states "All Trout over 35 CM MUST BE RELEASED" If this guy kept his fish it could have landed him a big fine !!! In my province that is a big NO NO!!!! Further more I never saw anywhere in the regs that treble hooks were illegal !!! It does state that there are "Barb less Hooks" That fish the guy was holding up looks to me like a sucker and not a Whitefish, you should know your fish before you flap off at the gums. His handling skills seem to need work!!!

The administrator should look this thread over carefully as the first page clearly has one clown uttering threats over the Internet "Joe Dirt Style". I personally took a look at this guys website and his images; and I see huge trout, and all I see here is small fish and a bunch of immature grown men complaining about things that children would complain about. I also looked at some video's as well, I saw the guy releasing his fish as they were to big to keep by the looks of things. Don't you fishermen have fish to catch and better things to do than attack someone via a keyboard. Go get a life and catch a few fish while your at it. In my past forty years as a writer for many fishing magazines, I know constructive "Suggestions" are well more received than verbal diarrhea via a Fly Fishing Forum. That's precisely why I stay away from forums like this. !!!!!

NFLD

Envy Welcome to the site. I have to ask if you really did watch the videos? The ones that were posted are no longer available to watch. I wonder why that is? I did take a look at his new videos and his handling has improved in the 18 months since this was first posted. I'm not convinced he's using barbless hooks though as he looks to have to really torque out those lures.

I personally took a look at this guys website and his images; and I see huge trout, and all I see here is small fish

Perhaps you should look again on this forum then you can defend him posting pics like this and throwing his trash into the river (Yes he filmed it for all to see). There are a ton of great shots of specimen trout floating around this site by people who repect the resource. By all means, feel free to post your own, we're looking forward to it.

Says he doesn't frequent sites like this but somehow managed to mine a post from may...without scrolling through how many posts?

I'm with Toolman on this one...let me guess? NFLD sportsman is who you wrote for? I read an article about pike in one issue and it mentioned holding pike by their eyes. Or how about show us your "whack and stack" gallery in every issue?