Fly Fusion Forums

Maligne Magic W "creekside" Guiding

Smitty

Well, dad and I got a chance to take advantage of our auction trip to Maligne at the end of June. As usual Maligne was awesome, always hard to tell what's better; the scenery or the fishing. Usually the scenery wins. But our Saturday with Ray (aka "Creekside') was golden. Thanks Ray! I hope you offer this trip again as a fundraiser for Rickr. Rickr, good job in letting Ray offer the trip!

My Thanks to both of you!!!

You Calgary fishers sure miss out. :) Some pics:

Maligne%20Lk%2024.jpg

Maligne%20Lk%2010.jpg

Ray was a terrific "guide" putting us over fish constantly. He was even better company! :)

Maligne%20June%202016%2018.jpg

Maligne%20June%202016%2022.jpg

Maligne%20June%202016%2012.jpg

Maligne%20June%202016%2014.jpg

Maligne%20Lk%2026.jpg

Maligne%20Lk%2032.jpg

We were able to do some stream fishing on the home waters on the way back to Edmonton. Love these native 'bows:

Maligne%20June%202016%2034.jpg

Some grayling too:

Maligne%20June%202016%2030.jpg

Maligne trout are the best in the world. The. BEST.

Maligne%20Lk%201.jpg

• Like 6

Great shots, Smitty!

I had a similar experience in the early 80's with my Dad on Maligne, and I think it was the first time I had ever seen fly fishing.

Our guide was nailing trout left and right on wets/dries while my Dad and I fumbled about with spin cast and 'grandpa-reel' setups.

After getting skunked most of the day, and huge mountain weather moving in, the guide took pity on a frustrated 8yr old and handed me a bamboo fly rod (!) with what I know now as a streamer.

We trolled back to the Lodge with the electric motor, and damned if I didn't catch a huge Rainbow! We shared the fish in the Lodge that night. Incredible.

Thanks for sharing the photos, Smitty...it must have been amazing.

-M.

• Like 1